OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

p-dogs. what reticle do you like?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slickest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: p-dogs. what reticle do you like?
    Posted: July/18/2010 at 19:58
I want something different for my .223. the 3-15x42 sightron i have is a good scope but i want to put that on my .300wm and go something with higher power on my .223

for thoose who mainly shoot prairie dogs what kind of reticle do you like? I starting to lean toward mil-dots but not sold yet.
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2010 at 21:54
I would use mil-dots only if they were open.  If they were solid, I'd pass, but thats just me.

Jim
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2010 at 22:03
You appear to be heading down the same road I did. I started shooting Pd with 4.5-14 then upgraded to 20 X I have never been happy with the 20X compared to the 14-16X. Now I am getting rid of the Zeiss an Leupold both 20s for lower power so I can pick out the PDs easier.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2010 at 09:38
I like any reticle with horizontal and vertical holdovers as long as it's very THIN.  You will typically shoot pd's in good light in open terrain, so you won't have trouble losing the reticle, and pd's at long distance are tiny targets.  They are small to begin with, and if they are partially hidden behind or in their mounds, which is often the case, you don't have much to aim at.  In this regard, I prefer second focal plane reticles for pd shooting to maintain as thin a reticle as possible at high magnification.  A standard mil dot will cover up a pd at very far distance, but an open style mil dot such as Nightforce's design works well.  I especially like NF's NP-R1 and IOR's MP-8 FFP reticles.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2010 at 09:58
I have used both thin plex and mil dots.  I don't shoot crazy distances at p-dogs (under 500yds) and both have worked well.  
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2010 at 11:08
What distances are you shooting?
Do you typically use LRF?
Do you prefer holdover, dialing, or multi-dash/dot reticles?

Originally posted by slickest slickest wrote:

I want something different for my .223. the 3-15x42 sightron i have is a good scope but i want to put that on my .300wm and go something with higher power on my .223

for thoose who mainly shoot prairie dogs what kind of reticle do you like? I starting to lean toward mil-dots but not sold yet.
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
slickest View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slickest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2010 at 21:50
Originally posted by Ernie Bishop Ernie Bishop wrote:

I dont plan on shooting past 500 yards and dont really like messing with the windage and elevation. i would like something with hold over or multi-dash/dot recticle
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2010 at 22:03
I use mil dot mainly.    Shoot gophers with my Aimpoint CompM2 on my AR as well out to about 200 yards.  Main PD gun is my Rem 700 VSF 22-250 with  a Burris XTR Ballistic Mil dot reticle.  Have shot out to 600 yards on them so far.  It works but at those ranges I wouldn't mind something a little thinner.  Most of my shots are within 300 to 400 yards probably.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 00:40
A ballistic reticle may be what you are looking for, like Leupold's VHR (Varmint Hunter Reticle).  There are a number of other reticle like it, so find the brand scope you like and go from there.
E

I dont plan on shooting past 500 yards and dont really like messing with the windage and elevation. i would like something with hold over or multi-dash/dot recticle
Ernie

sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2010 at 00:09

I have a Nikon Buckmasters 6-18x mil-dot on a 17 Fireball XP-100 handgun and love it. It's set up specifically for PD's. The mil-dot is calibrated for 12x and when i crank it up to 18, the dot becomes a 1/2" dot instead of the std. mil. 3/4". It works fine for me to ~500 yds.

Steve
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 17:15
What?!?!?!
No Nikon BDC love going on here?  Wink

Heres 300 yards with a .308.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 19:11
Have used about everything including iron sights on m1-a's when surplus was cheap, but my favorite is the NF NP-1RR, on a 8x32 x56 which is fine and allows many combinations of hold over and dial in. Current 1500 yd gun. 300 mag 210 vlds. TRG 42 ---I'll leave the short rifles to Ernie.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 23:15
might add that Texas pds and Wyoming dogs have different cultural backrounds, Texas pds, tend to take more from south of the border, more layed back, feed more frequently, and are prone to drowsing off, while Wyoming dogs with Ayran cultural backrounds tend to be much more aggressive and exhibit cannabilistic tendencies.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 00:49
I have shot pd's from both "cultural backgrounds" and that is one reasons, why I keep the truck close and carry either the 7mm Dakota or 338AX XP-100.
You never know when one might charge or worse....

Great PicsCool
Ernie

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 06:07

I have shot pd's from both "cultural backgrounds" and that is one reasons, why I keep the truck close and carry either the 7mm Dakota or 338AX XP-100.

Great PicsCool

the dogs in texas may be bigger  but they aint as mean as the wyoming ones.Laugh
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 09:36

Great PicsCool

Exactly!  You have to protect yourself in the event they organize into militias and stage a coup!  Those scurrying little bastards have sharp teeth, you know!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 09:58
That is why you keep a .357 or .44 mag loaded on your hip at all times.  Saw a coyote wander into a p-dog town.  Must have been a pup.  By the time it realized where it was, p-dog had it surrounded.  Did not last long.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 20:40
thats why i take oprah, not much arguement there.

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2010 at 18:30
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Great PicsCool

Exactly!  You have to protect yourself in the event they organize into militias and stage a coup!  Those scurrying little bastards have sharp teeth, you know!
Shoot with the bolt guns but always carry an AR for backup for when they try to charge.Shocked
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic