OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

22-250 scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 22-250 scope
    Posted: July/19/2010 at 21:35

I just got back last night from my first ever PD hunting trip. What an absolute blast!!! But I did relize that the bushnell banner 6-18x50 on it has got to go! by the end of the trip it was blurry and I had to adjust the zero every 50 shots or so. so its time to spend money on better glass. I am looking at these 3 but other thoughts and opinions are welcome. THe gun will alsoo be used on yotes in the winter.

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-5-15x40-Elite-3200-Rifle-Scope-P8748.aspx

Thanks for the input
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2010 at 21:39
the 3200 isnt really a good comparison to the other two scopes, you need to step up to a 6500(2.5x16) elite  or a higher powered 4200 elite ( 4x16 or 6x24)
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2010 at 12:59
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

the 3200 isnt really a good comparison to the other two scopes, you need to step up to a 6500(2.5x16) elite  or a higher powered 4200 elite ( 4x16 or 6x24)
So your saying that the Viper is in the same league as the VX-3? if so would that be the smart choice at $200 cheaper?
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2010 at 17:00
You listed a pretty wide range of scopes in your list at a fairly wide range with some different features and magnifications. To begin with I believe that all would be a pretty good step up from your current Bushnell Banner so you are bound to see a noticeable difference so if $$ is an obstruction you can still accomplish a better picture and a better scope. I noted the Bushnell had target knobs. Is this desirable to you or is more power. You also don't mention how much you plan to really PD hunt and at what distances you were shooting. If you think you will be doing this a lot then the leupold may be worth it to you but for less $$ you can buy a real step up from your current rig with tselections from the Vortex lines, Fullfield ii lines and maybe the Weaver and Sightron scopes. I would look for a scope with the top end in the 14-16 power range with an adj objective and for $300-$400 you should have several good choices. Even the Bushnell 3200 will be a step up for you. I have an old scopechief bushnell which is probably the equivalent of the 3200 series 6-8 scope generations ago and it has always be a very serviceable scope and has stood up well for 30 years or better so the 3200 is a good scope and should do fine for you if that's what you want. I would probably go for a Vortex as they are very clear and people here seem to really like them.   
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2010 at 21:20
Originally posted by 03mossy 03mossy wrote:

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

So your saying that the Viper is in the same league as the VX-3? if so would that be the smart choice at $200 cheaper?

yes the viper is in the same league as the vx3.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2010 at 21:51

I would say the Viper is very comparable to the VX-3.

They both have great warranties and should be very durable.

Either would get you on the p-dogs.  The Viper will just do it for a little less money.
-Matt
jgm1981 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2010 at 22:39
Man i really need to get my hands around one of these Vortex scopes. I really wanna like them just for what Ive read. Problem is i would have to order it without an inspection because no one in my area carries these scope.    
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 00:23
Check out SWFA return policy. It is very good. They are great people to buy from.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 08:27
I own both the 6500 & 6.5-20x44 both are great scopes.Glass is a toss up.Bushnell has rain guard but Viper is half the price.CS is way better with Vortex.This is a tough call,if you can get a side by side comparison it would help you make up your mind.Both scopes feel way different so it comes down to taste.Good luck in your choice & know you can't go wrong either way!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 21:17
Originally posted by jgm1981 jgm1981 wrote:

Man i really need to get my hands around one of these Vortex scopes. I really wanna like them just for what Ive read. Problem is i would have to order it without an inspection because no one in my area carries these scope.    
Same here! To me this will be the most Ive spent on a scope and the first on I haven't bought used I don't wanna make a mistake.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic