OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32 as all around AR scope?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32 as all around AR scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32 as all around AR scope?
    Posted: July/23/2010 at 22:49
Thinking of one of these with the .10 mil, zero stop turrets & mil dot reticle to top my flat top Rock River match rifle for all around use including coyotes, ground hogs, and also, and most importantly, as my SDMR type "homeland defense" rifle. Distances will be primarily 200 yards or less, but I'd like to maintain the capability to reach out to 400 or even possibly 600 yards if the opportunity pressents itself.

I had been thinking of an FFP for this role but I don't like how small & fine the reticle gets at low power and figure I'll most likely only want or need to range at the top power anyway.

To my inexperianced self the NF seems to offer the best combination of features (mil/mil, ability to range, illumination, bomb proof build quality, very good glass at a price that while high is doable with some saving & discapline) for my needs, but I can't help wonder if I might be overlooking something?

I'd appreciate the thoughts of those with more experiance.
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2010 at 01:17
US Optics 1.8-10x37 would be my choice in that mag range.  Bigger range - there JNG Mil reticle is outstanding.  For the ranges you are  taking about a 4x or 3.5x AGOG would also fill the role very well - no batteries - easier to two eye scan / faster on target.  The downside is you have to commit to a specific cartridge for the BDC to work properly.  I use a 7.62 model (TA33R) for my 77g rifle as the ballistics are very similar and it works fine.  If your set on the top end of a Variable at 10x check the USO SN-3S ...

My two cents
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2010 at 11:35
If you want to be able to reach out to 600, I agree on the USO 1.8-10X.

If the primary purpose will be 200 and closer (giving up the precision 600 yard shot), I'd say the Nightforce is outstanding.  And, at a true 1X (or very, very near), the up-close shot will be much easier with the Nightforce than with the USO.

Another option is a Doctor on an ACOG: best of both worlds.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2010 at 12:13
RC hes talking the 2.5-10 not the 1-4 x24.  The lower power might be a better choice.

Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
German #4 Crosshair w/ Green Dot Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR243G
  • Matte
  • German #4 Crosshair w/ Green Dot
  • 30mm
$779.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2010 at 12:23

Too many concurrent conversations about 1-4Xs have clouded my small mind.

As you were.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2010 at 12:24
And the 2.5-10 is a great scope.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 15:18
The 2.5-10 NF is a fine scope and should serve you well for what you want to do.  However:

Originally posted by Manny Manny wrote:

I had been thinking of an FFP for this role but I don't like how small & fine the reticle gets at low power and figure I'll most likely only want or need to range at the top power anyway.

This can be true, but be careful about generalizing.  For example some of the NF reticles are very thin and have hollow posts which can make them slower to pick up even though they don't shrink than a FFP even after it's shrunk.  I'm using a SS 3-9 in a similar role on one of my AR's and its reticle is very usable at 3X; similar to a standard duplex.  Of course it lacks illumination you want and doesn't have the FOV of a 2.5-10 on low power which may be important for an AR.

The IOR 2.5-10 is another option.  It will have better glass than the NF and a nicer reticle (IMHO); it's reticle isn't as thick as I'd like it but the excellent illuminated dot should keep it very fast in low light conditions.  Unfortunately it has a bit of tunnel vision on 2.5X which robs you of some of your FOV if that's important.

Hopefully the PST 2.5-10 will be available soon.  It should offer all the features you want at about 1/2 the price of the others.  It's SFP with a nice reticle you won't have a problem with.

The one I have my eye on for this role for the future, which unfortunately won't be available for a while, is the SS 2.5-10 HD.  It'll be FFP but its reticle will be very usable at 2.5X and it should have all the other features you want.  Hopefully with durability rivaling the NF and glass rivaling the IOR.  A guy can dream, can't he?   

Edited by Jon A - July/26/2010 at 15:21
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 15:36
The NF 2.5-10X32 is a solid, great-tracking, reliable scope and is fairly compact and I do like mine. Also, their standard mil reticle is nice. However, you pay a premium for zero-stop, which is a must since the compact model turrets give you no indication of how many turns you've made. The Vortex 2.5-10 PST is also SFP, but on a top magnification of 10X that's where I do my ranging too. It will likely be as good and much cheaper. Not being privy to the specs on the SS 2.5-10X I have no idea if it will have illumination but either of those might be an option if you can wait.

If you need something sooner, then I'd really consider the recommendations already made. On another note, as long as you get a reticle that has fairly thick outer posts, FFP scopes I've used (the SS 3-9 & Premier 3-15) work just fine @ 3X - as JonA says, just like a standard duplex.
Reaction time is a factor...
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 19:26
Honestly, for this application, I would like pick the SS 3-9x42.  Aside from the advantages of the FFP reticle (which is a personal choice), it is a simple fact that you will get better performance, especially in low light, with a 42mm objective lens.

The 2.5-10x32 Nightforce is a very nice scope, but it is pretty hefty.  At 12 inches long and 19ounces of weight, it does not give you any advantages in weight (and balance of the rifle) over the variable SS which weighs the same and is about an inch longer.

My personal opinion is that if I am going with an smaller objective lens design, I have to get something for it: lighter weight comes to mind, but is simply not the case here.  On a bolt gun, perhaps, I could mount it lower, but that is not the case for the AR.

If you really prefer SFP reticle and you think you need illumination, try Trijicon's Accupoint3-9x40.  It is appreciably lighter than the Nightforce.

ILya
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 19:45
As you can see there are a lot of really good options for an AR and you really have to select based on how you will use the rifle most of the time. For me the answer is the compact ACOG and I have a 1.5 amber triangle and a 3x red crosshair. The rifle I carry most has this one.
Trijicon 3x24 Compact Acog Rifle Scope Red Crosshair Trijicon 3x24 Compact Acog Rifle Scope
Stock # - TA50R4
  • Red Crosshair
  • Free Lens Cleaning Pen w/ Purchase
$909.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 20:54
One of the good reasons to go NF is you don't have to go Mildot. The NF reticles are thin, however the Np-r2 in the 2.5x10 is different than the np-r2 in the larger NF. It only covers about 1/2 of the optical field and looks more like a floating reticle than a full reticle. With  2 moa hash, its fast, and finer adjustments can be made. It will easily do pop cans at 500yds on 10x, or leave it on 2.5 for the short stuff, and as the illum. reticle is daytime visable it helps the thin reticle if needed.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic