OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

cooper rifles. how many on here has them ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay 22/250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cooper rifles. how many on here has them ?
    Posted: July/26/2010 at 04:34
hi im interested to see how many of you have cooper rifles on here. and if so what caliber.

i was close to ordering one last year in 243. its a shame they havent got a mag fed one in 243
winchester 22/250 stealth,zeiss victory 6x24x56 scope,ase mod,jewell trigger
tikka m595 222,ase mod,ziess conquest 6.5x24x50 scope.
annie 1417 22lr,logun mod,4x24 fixed mag scope
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 06:06
Originally posted by jay 22/250 jay 22/250 wrote:

hi im interested to see how many of you have cooper rifles on here. and if so what caliber.

i was close to ordering one last year in 243. its a shame they havent got a mag fed one in 243

actually they have three of them, classic, western classic, custom classic. not real budget friendly though.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 07:02
I have 2 Coopers:  a M21 Varminter in 6PPC and a M21 Varmint Extreme in .223.

They are very accurate, well made rifles with beautiful wood and excellent fit and finish. 

Of course, these are heavy barreled single shot varmint rifles.  I've never shot the M54 repeater you're referring to.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 07:50
6.5x284 Phoenix here-- good gun, would change the safety a bit, and use a heavier target type stock with this caliber however.  Would add that the single action allows seating the bullet out-- in the extreme. After 1200 rds., I am only seating 1/3 of the bullet to touch the worn out lands. Accuracy still good.

Edited by Dale Clifford - July/26/2010 at 07:52
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 07:58
Model 52 here in 25-06. Mine is the Jackson Hunter though.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
jay 22/250 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay 22/250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 08:55
i like the look of them lads. and a couple of guys on the forum's here swaer by them. he said you will have to spend alot more dosh to get to the accuray they give.

i like the fact you can have most calibers to. i like the ai choice but cant be bothered with the fireforming. so a standard 243 or 25/06 is good. mind i take it if you havce the 25/06 its a long action so would be limited to what calibers i could have after.

where a 243 could be rebarreled in 6mm or 308, 22br , and maybe a couple of other ?
winchester 22/250 stealth,zeiss victory 6x24x56 scope,ase mod,jewell trigger
tikka m595 222,ase mod,ziess conquest 6.5x24x50 scope.
annie 1417 22lr,logun mod,4x24 fixed mag scope
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 11:43
I have a Excalibur in .30-06 . I have had trouble with mine ............but it freakin' shoots........I'll give it that.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 12:21
Originally posted by cbm cbm wrote:

I have a Excalibur in .30-06 . I have had trouble with mine ............but it freakin' shoots........I'll give it that.

So, have the troubles been fixed to your satisfaction?
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 08:52
Hard to say but not really happy. I sent it in the first time because the clip would hardly come out , it wasn't extracting shells good, and it was not accurate. I fiddled with the clip and broke the springed steel attatched to the release button. They fixed it without issue(even though I broke it) and replaced it with a thicker/beefier piece of springed steel and replaced the clip. They also replaced the extractor and re-crowned the barrel.  

I got it back and went to sight it in but the trigger pull was terrible. And the clip was still a pain and some shells did not want to eject. So I sent it back again.

Got it back the 2nd time with a trigger said to be set at 2.5# as requested. My Lyman pull guage gets between 2.75#-3# pull to pull (but I can live with that). They noted no issues with extraction or the magazine. However upon inspecting the magazine (which was working well finally), I saw they had replaced the springed steel with a tab and coil spring(why would they claim no issue ???). Then I went to sight in and the first 7 shots not a single shell ejected . I was sick but then realized that I was loading from the top with an empty clip and that the gun seems to eject fine if the clip is full. Not saying this is acceptable but it appears that when there are no shells in the clip , the spent shell droops when coming out of the barrel and causes it to not eject (while if it is supported by a shell underneath it will eject). I have not been able to go back out so I can test this theory , but I believe that's the way it's working..........it's aggrevating but I think, at least for hunting, it's fine. Will have to get it figured out and send it back again probably !
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 09:43

Hard to say but not really happy. I sent it in the first time because the clip would hardly come out , it wasn't extracting shells good, and it was not accurate. I fiddled with the clip and broke the springed steel attatched to the release button. They fixed it without issue(even though I broke it) and replaced it with a thicker/beefier piece of springed steel and replaced the clip. They also replaced the extractor and re-crowned the barrel.  

I got it back and went to sight it in but the trigger pull was terrible. And the clip was still a pain and some shells did not want to eject. So I sent it back again.

Got it back the 2nd time with a trigger said to be set at 2.5# as requested. My Lyman pull guage gets between 2.75#-3# pull to pull (but I can live with that). They noted no issues with extraction or the magazine. However upon inspecting the magazine (which was working well finally), I saw they had replaced the springed steel with a tab and coil spring(why would they claim no issue ???). Then I went to sight in and the first 7 shots not a single shell ejected . I was sick but then realized that I was loading from the top with an empty clip and that the gun seems to eject fine if the clip is full. Not saying this is acceptable but it appears that when there are no shells in the clip , the spent shell droops when coming out of the barrel and causes it to not eject (while if it is supported by a shell underneath it will eject). I have not been able to go back out so I can test this theory , but I believe that's the way it's working..........it's aggrevating but I think, at least for hunting, it's fine. Will have to get it figured out and send it back again probably !

dude i would be pissed! spend that much money and get nothing but problems in return.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2010 at 15:31
I have a M22...havn't had a chance to shoot it much lately. When I purchased it I shot it a few times with some various Hornady factory loads and was fairly unimpressed by the accuracy. Nothing terrible, but not even MOA on most groups. I then shot my 65 year old Winchester model 70 and put three into a inch with a 2.5x lyman alaskan...made me feel better about my shooting but worse about my purchase. I am planning on trying some other loads in the cooper to see if maybe it simply has a vendetta against hornady ammo.
-Michael
nightranger View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2010 at 14:45

I owned the M52 Jackson Hunter in .280 Rem. with a Zeiss 4.5X14X44 scope.  I have had the gun almost one year and love it.  It shoots straight and accurate with all factory ammo I used so far.  No need to reload with the groups I am getting with the factory stuff.   Never had a problem with the gun. 
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 18:37
3 of them  1. LTV 22 Mag. 2. Western Classic 57-m and 3. Jackson Squirrel 17 HMR . Get the blued or Case colored reciever for a smoother action. The black tends to bind a little on closing. The case colored is smooth as silk.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2010 at 09:08

tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2010 at 09:16
Im with the others who said they would be pissed. I would call and demand to speak to someone in charge who can make decisions make them send you a new rifle, or fix yours and compensate you somehow for the mistakes THEY made. If that doesnt get results, you might mention, that you think the bullet isnt seating correctly and you could be injured. That WILL get their attention. Either way, for the good money you spent, demand satisfaction.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2010 at 17:15
You may want to pick up a savage mag and try it. They can be found for $14. They will fit  the Anschutz 64 actions and the Coopers also. Much less expensive than going to Cooper or Anschutz for extra Magazines.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic