OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss or Swarovski

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little cleo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss or Swarovski
    Posted: July/26/2010 at 11:57
I have a Zeiss Diavari victory 3x9x36 mc scope.  I need another one and I have a choice between another Zeiss 3x9x36 or a Swarovski 3x10x42.  The zeiss is about 125-150 less than the swarovski.  What is everyones opinion on which would they get.  I started a post a week back about my Zeiss diavari and get good feedback on if it was good enough for hunting in low light times.  Let me know.  Thanks
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 12:25
Diversity is a good thing...go with the Swaro. Just kidding, either would be just fine... IMO.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 12:59
+1 for either one... can't go wrong.  Personally, I like diversity...Bandito

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 18:18
I tested a Diavari and a Swarovski in low light conditions a few months ago. Both were great in low light, but the Swarovski was just better. Both would have made any shot I wanted, but the Z6 resolved fine detail better and had an image that was just better to my eyes... not sure if I could explain what I was seeing; it was just a 'smoother' and more comfortable image to my eye.

One difference I could see- when looking into a lit window of an office building about 250 yds away, I could see more detail on objects inside the room with the Swarovski than the Zeiss. Objects seemed to be more washed out with the zeiss, like a photograph that hadn't been properly developed. I could see the objects with both scopes, they just weren't as well defined with the Zeiss.  The same held true when looking at everything outside in the dark, just to a lesser degree.

Please understand that the differences I'm talking about were very subtle, but discernible, nevertheless.
Others might disagree.

Neither would be a wrong choice.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
jleinum09 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jleinum09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 21:50
Can't go wrong with either. throw in the swaro for good measure!!  Thunbs Up
One Shot, One Kill
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 22:27
Like deciding between a Ferrari and a Lamborghini.  Both kick ass.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 09:15
If only all of life's decisions were this tough...  Look through both and then decide.  You can't make a bad choice...
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2010 at 09:41
Originally posted by brodeur272 brodeur272 wrote:

If only all of life's decisions were this tough...  Look through both and then decide.  You can't make a bad choice...

no doubt there, i wish i had your troubleWink
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Agustinmx View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agustinmx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2010 at 23:18
In my humblest opinion I dont think there is any scope better for low light hunting than the diavari 3-12x56mm, if there is any please let me know........

maybe its the same story with the ones that you mention

Obi Wan Kenobi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obi Wan Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2010 at 18:28
Originally posted by Agustinmx Agustinmx wrote:

In my humblest opinion I dont think there is any scope better for low light hunting than the diavari 3-12x56mm, if there is any please let me know........

maybe its the same story with the ones that you mention

You're right. The only thing I can think of better than the 3-12x56 is the 6-24x72. But that is way too much scope for hunting.

IMO Zeiss makes the best glass for extreme low light hunting conditions.

Swarovski has upped the game & makes the best scopes for long range shooting. Their 5-25x52 Z5, the 3-18x50 Z6 & the 5-30x50 Z6 scopes are unbelievable if you routinely hunt at longer ranges.
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2010 at 13:25
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

One difference I could see- when looking into a lit window of an office building about 250 yds away, I could see more detail on objects inside the room with the Swarovski than the Zeiss. Objects seemed to be more washed out with the zeiss, like a photograph that hadn't been properly developed. I could see the objects with both scopes, they just weren't as well defined with the Zeiss.  The same held true when looking at everything outside in the dark, just to a lesser degree.

Please understand that the differences I'm talking about were very subtle, but discernible, nevertheless.
Others might disagree.

Neither would be a wrong choice.

Alan.....why were you looking into a lit office building 250 yards away?? LOL Zombies inside? Just kidding with you. 
To OP---if you already have a Zeiss, I'd go with the Swarovski----Bboy623

Edited by Bboy623 - August/15/2010 at 13:29
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
canadian9 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canadian9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2010 at 15:03
I have looked at both scopes and they are both awesome scopes. But i'd say go with the swarovski they are clearer and will pick up more light. My uncle has the same scope your looking it and he loves it.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2010 at 19:10
Oh hell,buy a Hensoldt & be done with which glass is better [:}
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2010 at 19:45
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

Oh hell,buy a Hensoldt & be done with which glass is better [:}
We have a winner!
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic