OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Stay with leu 3.5x10 x40 M1 Duplex or go to SS 3x9
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Stay with leu 3.5x10 x40 M1 Duplex or go to SS 3x9

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beungood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stay with leu 3.5x10 x40 M1 Duplex or go to SS 3x9
    Posted: August/12/2010 at 14:31
I want to build a precision rifle for work and have an unused/unmounted leupold 3.5x10x40 LR M1 with Duplex. I had a friend who recomended sending it out (He had some contacts as he was a Sniper Instructor) He unfortunately did not return from afganistan and I am now without a friend and fountain of shooting knowledge.

Would I be better trading this scope off for the SS variable 3x9x42 ffp or sending out my Leupold for a change in reticle? Could my Leu be converted to a ffp?  I was intresting in probably going with Mil/Mil. I have not gone to formal schooling yet and have not learned Mil formla.

The scjope will be going on either a Remington 5R (If I get a deal that is offered) or I may go with the savage since thier factory is in state here.

Any advice anyone could give me/
thanks,
Jacko
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 15:07
I'd go with the SS. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 15:14
Sorry about your friend.  My sympathies. 

Personally I would go with the SS.  It is a better scope all the way around.  Leupold has nothing on them.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 18:05
Prayers out to your budy.

Do what you can to get the 5r milspec,I have one & I'll tell you what,it doesn't care what is riding her she puts the lead right where it's supposed to go.They do need a little TLC,recrown,trigger job & glass bed & then they are Oh so sweet!I also added marine tex & a cheek well,along with a dawson bi-pod-----Majic

I've had 5 different scopes on[ Bushnell elite 6500 2.-16x44---Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x50---SS10x---SS10x HD---Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50] & I keep going back to the SS10x HD.I just ordered a Zeiss Victory Diavari 2.5-10x44 with ffp.I think this will be the permanent mate.

Good luck,I hoped this helped & keep your head down.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 18:10
Sorry for the bad spelling I ment to hit preview & hit post;Magic,WeldWhacko
beungood View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beungood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 21:20
Hi Thanks for the advice and it is a help.  I keep going back and forth betweeen the 5r and Savage since we have the factory and me and my Buddy used to marvel at how good they shoort at thier cost. But I also may use it for work and am thinking liability wise if most are running remington 700's I may be better off staying with that platform since most instructors are knowledgeable on it.  It is around $1000 versus somewhere around $700 for a HS stocked Savage Tactical.

I have the Leupold 3.5x10 LR M1 with Duplex and though maybe I may get off cheaper getting the reticle changed out. But that SS 3x9 seem to get good reviews is a decent price has mil/mil and ffp..

Stay safe,

JAckO
Jacko
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 22:05
The SS 3-9 is a scope that would go well with your rifle and purposes. You may eventually find that you want something with a little more magnification on the high end and illumination. But the key word here is "eventually." For the time being, it's a scope that you can't go wrong with and will provide you an excellent and rugged optic, especially for mastering mil/mil shooting with and FFP reticle.

I also have a Rem. 5R in .308 and it shoots great. I did not modify it in any way or even bother breaking it in (no tool marks anyway on a hammer-forged barrel/chamber). My only mod was to add a Karsten B-model cheekpiece. Now, one thing you've got to consider is that silver barrel. I don't have the need to change mine, but if you're using it for work, get the barrel nitrided or have a Birdsong finish done on it or something to cover up that color.
Reaction time is a factor...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2010 at 23:01
I spent 7 hrs breaking mine in, total of 80 factory rds.,I use camo burlap wraped around the barrel & I also put a Karsten cheek piece on.
Question for you jono:Im always in the market for some home brew ammo maybe you can swap;Nosler 168 grn bthp/44.5 grn Varget/Fed brass/Fed match lg primers....COL 2.935
         Sierra 190grn bthp/41 grn Varget/Fed brass/Fed match lg primers.....Col2.928

I know SAMMI is like COL 2.8 but my measurement with a tool & feel to lans is 2.945,I like a little breathing room like 10k off the riffling.I can on a good day stay in .5 moa @ 200yds

Sorry for straying off the topic beungood, I hope we helped.If you do get the 5r.Let us know what the outcome was.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2010 at 00:25
I would go with the S.S., and the Savage! But that's just me. Both rifles mentioned are well known for being good. As far as that stainless barrel goes, Krylon is cheap! You just gotta get over the mental block of spray-paint. 
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2010 at 09:02
Nuthin' wrong with spray paint. I'd consider nitriding though because it will also prolong barrel life.

stickbow46, I have a fairly similar load - but using 45.5 gr. Varget behind 165 gr. Accubonds and Lapua brass/CCI BR2 primers. I load the exact same thing for an LTR.  So I just keep track of which brass went into which rifle. I measured the distance to the lands on both rifles and while the 5R has a shorter throat, they are still the notorious Remington lawyer's throat...too long. But I've always seated to magazine length or less. Usually 2.81" COAL.
Reaction time is a factor...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2010 at 09:33
Thanks jono.I agree with the deep throat of Remmy's.I have a 700 police in .223 it's the same way!I normaly  shoot 1 rd @ a time,also I never mix semi-auto & bolt brass.
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2010 at 11:09

Beungood I am with Billyburl on this one the Savage will do all the remy will at less cost and if you want to later switch barrels to another cal and run with it .No gunsmith required and the money stays in home state.Plus the Savage customer service is top notch.
 As for scope SS is as good or better than any thing Leupold makes, and if they ever get the rest of their scope line out to market other makes beware.

Edited by rjtfroggy - August/13/2010 at 11:11
froggy
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2010 at 11:20
How much is leupold charging for a reticle swap?

The glass in the SS will be better, the turrets are much better, and leupolds break. Allot.  But, it is a serviceable scope.

I hear good things about the Savage rifles, but - for me, at least - it is a confidence issue, I have so much time behind 700s, I have much confidence in them, hard to put a dollar amount on that.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2010 at 12:46
Beungood, as you can see we are split on rifle choice but we're all in agreement on the SS.Good luck.
beungood View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beungood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2010 at 20:15
Thanks again everyone for your suggestions answered alot of my questions.  I am thinking after reading all about the Sharpshooter scopes and the Customer support I am leaning toward a trade in.  i think I am better off with something "rock proof" and durable. 

On the rifle one of the last things my buddy and I talked with was the rifles.  Between the Marine Corps and Army National Guard he shot behind just about everything and he really liked the Savages and said when he got home he wanted to build up something and was going to go with a Savage.

In my lack of knowledge I thought maybe the 5r was a step above the normal remmy and Savage(Never asked him about the 5r) .  My Hunting rifle is a Savage 7mm I picked up Brand New for $120.00 and The thing even with a light contour barrell can shoot. 

Is the Accutrigger precise enough for work or would I have to get it redone as the Rem?

I hope these are not stupid Questions.  I want to avoid buying equipment that will let me down.

I'll Give you a heads up when I put it all together and get into a school somewhere up here. Might even be a chance of me going back into the Reserves and getting a Military school too.

Stay Safe,

JackO
Jacko
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic