OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Options in the UK

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roundhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope Options in the UK
    Posted: August/20/2010 at 09:06
Hi all,

this is my first post here. I am kitting out a new .17 HMR (a Mossberg 817), and I am after some scope advice as this is a very different bit of kit to what I have used before.  When I post on UK based forums I get told that if I can't afford a Khales I might as well give up until I can (I am exaggerating, but not much) whereas around here the advice seems a lot more level headed.

My problem is a lot of the scopes recommended in old threads here are either unavailable in the UK or are expensive. For example a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 would set me back £230 ($356 or so).

This set up is going to be my work rifle, it will be used a lot, often for lamping, often at dawn and dusk and will probably need to stand up to some punishment. So for general pest and predator control (crows, rabbits, foxes etc) at ranges of 50-200yards, which of the following would you recommend? All are available in the UK for my budget of around £200-

Nikko Stirling Nighteater 8x56 IR (£110)
Mueller Sport Dot 3-9x40 (£175)
Vortex Crossfire V-Brite 3-9x40 (£130)
Vortex Crossfire 3.5-10x50 (£138)
Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 (£189)
Hawke Eclipse 30 8x56 IR (£110)
Hawke Eclipse 30 4-16x50 (£180)
Nikon Prostaff 3-9x50 (£200)
Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 (£150)
Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 (£185)
Leupold VX I 3-9x40 (£200)

So there is a fair selection. I have listed the prices because value for money is very important as a consideration, but not as important as doing the job effectively and not getting broken in the process. Unfortunately I really can't creep over £200, I also need a new scope for my 6.5x55 SE, so am saving the pennies for a Vortex Viper or a Leupold FX III, but that's a different thread altogether.

Thanks for your help!

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2010 at 09:09
Of that list the Vortex Diamond back stands out to me.  Thats said being you are going to be doign a lot of low light work i would also throw in the 3-9-50 Nikon  I had one and it was very bright.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Teddy Bear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddy Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2010 at 11:04
+1 on the diamondback or the prostaff.  Haven't heard much about the redfields in terms of field testing yet.
"Never rub another man's rhubarb!!"
Roundhead View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roundhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2010 at 11:23
Thanks for the replies. Looking at the Prostaff and considering I will be doing a lot of low light work, is the extra 10mm of objective lens worth it for the extra £50?
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2010 at 07:49
Roundhead welcome to OT.I've had good luck with the Hawke Frontier 2.5-10x44.The Frontier glass is made in Japan but all other models now are China based glass . With Hawke being a British based co. you more than likely can get a very good buy.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Roundhead View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roundhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2010 at 01:50
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

Roundhead welcome to OT.I've had good luck with the Hawke Frontier 2.5-10x44.The Frontier glass is made in Japan but all other models now are China based glass . With Hawke being a British based co. you more than likely can get a very good buy.

Thanks for the welcome!

I can pick up a Hawke Frontier 2.5-10x44 for £104 delivered, which is incredible value if it will compare to the other scopes on my list. I am struggling to find any information because most reviews seem to discuss the Side Focus model, which costs four times as much!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2010 at 08:16
The sniper hide did a review back 2 yrs ago on the larger Frontier scope 4-16 x42,check it out & you will at least get a feeling for the glass.They gave it a very positive review.
Roundhead View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roundhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2010 at 04:48
A UK based site (which I assume I can mention because SWFA does not export?) is having a sale on the Nikon Prostaff 3-9x50, selling them for £160. I am very tempted. 

Where are they made, and will I regret not shelling out the extra £25 for the Diamondback 3-9x40?
Roundhead View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roundhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 14:37
In a fit of enthusiasm I have bought a Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40! Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2010 at 22:56
A fine choice,good luck with it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic