OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Winchester Model 70

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winchester Model 70
    Posted: August/28/2010 at 09:50
Who sales the Winchester Model 70?? I want to look at one, hold  it etc etc to see if it may be my next bolt rifle. I can't seem to find a retailer that sells them locally.--Bboy623
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 09:54
I check their website and they have some local dealers listed, but they've not had them every time I check. Anyone have any opinions on the new Model 70? I know they are made in my sister state of SC.--BBoy623
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 10:11
They are now made by FN in Columbia, SC.  From all reports quality has improved markedly since FN took over manufacturing of the M70 vs. USRAC.  From the samples I've seen, it does look like fit and finish and checkering quality has improved.  The new trigger has a higher quality pull and is able to be safely adjusted to a lighter pull, however I also liked the ruggedness and incredible simplicity of the old trigger.  I haven't shot one of the new FN made ones yet, but other than the trigger, they have the same design as the old USRAC versions.

Maybe someone from your area will be able to advise you on who carries them, but you can always just call the gun stores close to you and ask.  In my opinion, if you've handled and shot the previous USRAC  "classic" versions of the M70, you already know enough to make a buying decision, as the overall design (minus the trigger) and ergonomics are the same, except quality has improved.  You just have to evaluate whether you are willing to spend the increased asking price.  You can always peruse the online gun auction sites (gunsamerica.com, gunbroker.com, etc.) and you're likely to find them there.  
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 10:17
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 19:29
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

They are now made by FN in Columbia, SC.  From all reports quality has improved markedly since FN took over manufacturing of the M70 vs. USRAC.  From the samples I've seen, it does look like fit and finish and checkering quality has improved.  The new trigger has a higher quality pull and is able to be safely adjusted to a lighter pull, however I also liked the ruggedness and incredible simplicity of the old trigger.  I haven't shot one of the new FN made ones yet, but other than the trigger, they have the same design as the old USRAC versions.

Maybe someone from your area will be able to advise you on who carries them, but you can always just call the gun stores close to you and ask.  In my opinion, if you've handled and shot the previous USRAC  "classic" versions of the M70, you already know enough to make a buying decision, as the overall design (minus the trigger) and ergonomics are the same, except quality has improved.  You just have to evaluate whether you are willing to spend the increased asking price.  You can always peruse the online gun auction sites (gunsamerica.com, gunbroker.com, etc.) and you're likely to find them there.

+1. I've held one of the new Columbia S.C. made ones over here recently in Australia and the quality is outstanding!!! Shame it doesn't come in left-handed...

Quote from Winchester website: "They are made to the exact ISO 9001 standard of quality that Uncle Sam insists upon for military firearms"

Edited by The Apostle - August/28/2010 at 19:30
John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 19:57
I actually went out of town today and a retailer there had a couple. They had a black synthetic stock one that was ok for $699. Then they had a featherlight wood stock that was $729. It was NICE!! The action was sooooooooooooooooooooo much smoother than the black one--dunno why. I really liked it. Only thing I DIDN'T like was the safety was really LOUD when you clicked it off. That could be a potential for disaster on a big buck. I don't know if some Royal Purple Maxfilm or some other type of lube would quiet it down or not. 

What is the difference between the featherlight and the Super grade. The super grade's MSRP is like $1100 bucks!! What do you get for an extra $400???---Bboy623
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 20:02
Also---how does the new model 70 COMPARE to the Browning X-bolt?? I was saving for an X-bolt and then got distracted by upgrading my scopes.

It's been awhile since I held an X-bolt, but I think the 70 has a smoother action. But the X is a Browning...so..........---Bboy623
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 20:07
Originally posted by Bboy623 Bboy623 wrote:

I actually went out of town today and a retailer there had a couple. They had a black synthetic stock one that was ok for $699. Then they had a featherlight wood stock that was $729. It was NICE!! The action was sooooooooooooooooooooo much smoother than the black one--dunno why. I really liked it. Only thing I DIDN'T like was the safety was really LOUD when you clicked it off. That could be a potential for disaster on a big buck. I don't know if some Royal Purple Maxfilm or some other type of lube would quiet it down or not. 

What is the difference between the featherlight and the Super grade. The super grade's MSRP is like $1100 bucks!! What do you get for an extra $400???---Bboy623

WOOD.  
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 20:13

Is there some "special" wood  on the Super grade that the featherweight doesn't have??---Bboy623
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 20:15
Usually a lot better grade of walnut.........
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 20:17
I actually thought you were joking Ed..my bad. For $400 I'll keep the featherweight wood and give me a Zeiss Conquest please!! LOL---Bboy623
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 20:18
Wahoo---200 Posts!--Bboy623
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 20:26

I actually thought you were joking Ed..my bad. For $400 I'll keep the featherweight wood and give me a Zeiss Conquest please!! LOL---Bboy623

I never joke.                                Light It Up

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 20:30
Sorry---Bboy623
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 21:16
the  safety will quite down with use.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 21:20
yea...but its like the difference in YELLING in your ear versus whispering 50 feet away with my Mossberg safety!!! Night and day! --Bboy623
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 21:21
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

the  safety will quite down with use.

if you carefully move it from safe to fire its quiet, dont just reach your finger up there and give it a flick, cause a loud click is what you will get. i would really love to replace my two position on my m700 with a m70 style safety.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 21:24
Anyone have any thoughts in how it compares to a Browning X-bolt?????---Bboy623
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 21:25
i love brownings, ive had two of them and  they were both excellent shooters and well built, course they are abolts, i expect the xbolt to be as good if not better. i would take browning over winchester, on accuracy for sure, plus i like the clips browning uses.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 21:47
Yea....its just that FN is making the barrels for Winchester on that Model 70......I just need to convince the Mrs. I NEED both!!  ---LOL----Bboy623
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic