OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Winchester Model 70

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 21:54

I will tell you this much already, there are not a lot of aftermarket parts for the Model 70 just and FYI. 

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 22:17
+1  SVT
 I will tell you this much already, there are not a lot of aftermarket parts for the Model 70 just and FYI.

Good article on the x-bolt
http://www.shootingtimes.com/longgun_reviews/ST_browningsxbolt_200812/
270XBolt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 270XBolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 22:31
I have a Browning X-Bolt in 270....hence the screen name.  I almost bought a FN model 70....but to me the Browning action was smoother,  the trigger felt better and it just felt better to me. 

I can tell you this.  I topped the X Bolt off with a Zeiss Conquest and it has been a remarkable shooter.  I knew after I fired the first 3 shot group that I had a shooter.  My only complaint is that the barrel does heat up pretty fast. 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2010 at 23:04
Do yourself a favor stay with Tikka,  Savage,  Remmington,  Weatherby / Howa,   CZ.
I had really crappy luck with Winchester in the Coyote Lite 300WSM that wouldnt eject, and bad luck with a Browning Stainless .375 H&H that wouldnt shoot a group if you held it a foot from the target.  Ive bought three tikkas in the last year and they all shoot under an inch at 100 all day long. The Rem if it wont shoot there are gunsmiths who can true the action and make it shoot. The Salvages are out of the box deadly too.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 06:18
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Do yourself a favor stay with Tikka,  Savage,  Remmington,  Weatherby / Howa,   CZ.
I had really crappy luck with Winchester in the Coyote Lite 300WSM that wouldnt eject, and bad luck with a Browning Stainless .375 H&H that wouldnt shoot a group if you held it a foot from the target.  Ive bought three tikkas in the last year and they all shoot under an inch at 100 all day long. The Rem if it wont shoot there are gunsmiths who can true the action and make it shoot. The Salvages are out of the box deadly too.

as far as the browing goes, im guessing you got a lemmon, you are the first and only person i know who had a browning that wouldnt shoot. the winchester you got was made before they closed the plant, most of those guns were pieces of sh*t. my H&H is on a m70 and it shoots pretty well, but it has an aftermarket tube on it too.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 06:49
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Originally posted by Bboy623 Bboy623 wrote:

I actually thought you were joking Ed..my bad. For $400 I'll keep the featherweight wood and give me a Zeiss Conquest please!! LOL---Bboy623

I never joke.                                Light It Up

I was joking!!           Bucky             

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
270XBolt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 270XBolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 08:59

Just because you had bad luck with 1 Winchester and 1 Browning, does not mean all Winchester and Browning rifles are bad.  That is no where close to being a large enough sampling size to make that kind of judgement.

Using your scenario, Remington should be thrown out as well.  One of my hunting partners has a 700 CDL that shoots consistent 2" groups with handloads and 3"-4" groups with factory loads.  The barrel channel was also cut off center.  However Remington did replace that....funny thing is the rifle shoots its best groups(2") with the screwed up stock.

We tease him and say his rifle shoots minute of softball!Big Grin
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 09:16
Originally posted by 270XBolt 270XBolt wrote:

Just because you had bad luck with 1 Winchester and 1 Browning, does not mean all Winchester and Browning rifles are bad.  That is no where close to being a large enough sampling size to make that kind of judgement.

Using your scenario, Remington should be thrown out as well.  One of my hunting partners has a 700 CDL that shoots consistent 2" groups with handloads and 3"-4" groups with factory loads.  The barrel channel was also cut off center.  However Remington did replace that....funny thing is the rifle shoots its best groups(2") with the screwed up stock.

I'm going to have to "bookmark" that comment... it may come in handy some day. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 13:14
Originally posted by 270XBolt 270XBolt wrote:

my m700 cdl isnt my best shooter either, it may be a caliber related too, but its certainly not as accurate as i would have liked it to be.

the new winny's are supposed to be a big improvement from the previous generation before they closed the doors to the old factory, which in true wouldnt take much...
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 15:14

That's not been my experience at all, especially with regards to Browning.  I own, have owned and have shot plenty of Browning rifles of all models that have shot very well. 

In contrast, I've played with plenty of Rem 700 sporters that wouldn't shoot worth a crap, though I've also played with several that would really shoot, namely their varmint rifles.  I've actually had much better luck with Browning accuracy than Remington accuracy, in fact.

I've been lucky with Sakos so far, although my brother has an A/L series Sako that doesn't shoot too well.  I've shot plenty of Tikkas that really shoot, though a buddy of mine has a Tikka 695 that doesn't shoot all that great.

All of the Savage heavy barreled varmint style rifles with laminated and decent synthetic stocks I've shot were real tack drivers, but I've shot several of their sporter weight hunting rifles that were ho hum at best, especially those with the cheap, very flexible tupperware stocks they use.  I've seen several good shooting rimfires from them as well.

I'm batting 1000 on Coopers so far.  I own 2 of them, and a buddy of mine owns 2, all M21s.  All 4 of them shoot as well as anything I've ever shot, short of benchrest rifles.

Probably the majority of the Weatherbys I've shot were accurate by hunting rifle standards, but I have seen some that wouldn't hit the side of a barn.  Ditto with Howas.

Have only shot CZ rimfires, which I've been very impressed with.  I've never fired one of their centerfires.

Flip a coin on Ruger.  About half of their rifles I've played with would shoot acceptably well, the other half were dogs.

On average, I've probably had the worst luck getting Winchester M70's to shoot, but I had a great shooting M70 stainless synthetic (in .338 Win Mag of all things) and a buddy of mine has a really good shooting Featherweight Classic.

With factory rifles and accuracy, there's no real rule of thumb here.  It's totally luck of the draw with any brand.  Some shoot, some don't.  It's just the way it is with mass produced products.  You cannot make generalizations about how any out of the box rifle shoots based on sample sizes of one.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 15:56
Would Cooper be considered more of a "custom shop" type rifle and not a typical Remington m700, Savage, Tika, etc. production rifle?
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 16:09
I would classify Cooper as "semi-custom."  Although they offer different stock designs, wood, and metal finish options, you can't choose different actions, barrels, triggers, etc like you can with a full custom rifle.  The barreled actions are predetermined Cooper models.  Even with regards to the stocks, you have to choose from one of their existing designs, rather than each rifle having a unique one of a kind stock.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2010 at 16:26
I was on the range at 600 yds the other day with a guy next to me who had a 6.5x284 Cooper he shot two shots first high about 18 inches cold bore second in the x ring.  He keeps a log of this rifle and says it always does the same thing cold bore is a huge difference from when its warm.  Obviously all manufacturers put out some good and some bad rifles it is hit and miss when you go to buy one. Most gunsmiths can work on a Remmington and make it shoot better. I have friends who have Brownings that are quite good but for some odd reason I got a real lemon. Winchester is like Harley Davidson they have changed hands several times and some of what was put out was junk where some of them are a real treasure.  I have had several Model 94 rifles that I liked very much but I had a bad go with the Coyote Lite in 300 WSM.  I also had a bad A7 Sako.  Ive had some really marginal shooting TC Encore barrels too, so Im not saying you might not get a good winchester Im saying Id take my chances with a different brand.  If you could find a pre 64 Winchester those are very nice rifles and seem to hold their value well.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic