OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

300 yd. bipod - decent results

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 300 yd. bipod - decent results
    Posted: September/03/2010 at 15:46
I hit the range again today and put my last five rounds into the target pictured here @ 300 yds off my bipod. This was out of my Rem. 5R .308 with a Premier 3-15X50. It wasn't bad at all but I had a hard time loading the bipod because I was lying on concrete. Still, I thought, you're not always going to have the ideal surface to plant the feet on so why not? This group printed a little low to the left. Since I was prone, I didn't check through my spotter so no corrections were made from what I'd been shooting earlier off my bench rest.

I feel pretty good about all my results lately and if this is the worst I won't worry about hitting what I aim at come hunting season. I'll definitely be taking the rifles out to my "private" range though where I can plant the bipod in grassy dirt or pine duff and shoot from distances besides 100 or 300. Already the range is getting crowded too and it adds to the wait time and lots of noise. Nice guy next to me, but even my eyeballs felt the pressure wave of his .416 Rem Mag! I'm also mindful of what Rancid posted about missing a hog @ short range. I feel like checking my 20-80 yd. dope and will throw in some high angle up and downhill shooting to boot.

The best thing is having a load that is dialed in and I don't have to worry about changing until I run out of my current lot of Varget. That's a ways away, especially since I don't shoot that much .308. I ran through 120 rds. of .22 rimfire today in between cold-barrel shots. (Forgot to add that the Premier glass was - at 15X - better than my cheapo spotter at 36X).

Edited by jonoMT - September/03/2010 at 15:49
Reaction time is a factor...
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2010 at 16:08
 I could live with that to.  GOOD shootin',jono.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 01:11
Yeah, that looks very good. Just eyeballing it, it seems just a tad over 1MOA. Nothing wrong with that!!!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 10:53
Good shooting, Jon...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 11:33
The new atlas bipod is worth a look.

And if you shoot the Harris, look at aftermarket feet, they an help quite a bit.

Nice shooting.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 15:23
Good Shooting Jon!  Thunbs Up  
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 20:22
Nice shooting.  Let me know when to come up to do some shooting.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 20:37
good work
Gerald Baker
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 21:03
Nice Jon, I wish I could shoot that well at 300 yards via my hunting bipod!!!  Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 10:58
RC,

I've looked at the PodClaws and wondered about those. My problem is that I don't really have a problem in natural terrain, just at the range. For reasons I appreciate, you're not allowed out into the dirt in front of the benches. So I wonder if they would help on fairly smooth concrete. I think since it's only an issue at the range I'll just use a hole saw to cut out two holes in a sheet of 1/2" plywood and bring that to lie on. If there's another alternative please let me know what you think.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 11:03
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Let me know when to come up to do some shooting.

I'll PM you with a couple ideas for spots I'd like to check out and possible days that work for me. There's some places in between us that I've heard are good...and would split the driving.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 11:38
Well done, Sir!

I'm surprised more folks don't use bipods. I use them exclusively and have for the past few years.
I either shoot prone on the ground or off a bench with a rear bag.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 11:45
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Well done, Sir!

I'm surprised more folks don't use bipods. I use them exclusively and have for the past few years.
I either shoot prone on the ground or off a bench with a rear bag.

Only when I hunt.  Big Smile
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 15:46
I used to switch back and forth from a front rest and my bi pod, depending upon if I was at the range or the field. Then I decided to practice as much under the same conditions as I can. It took a little while for me to get used to it, but I honestly feel as confident on my bi pod. Either that or I have just become a better shooter as far as groups go. 
Gerald Baker
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 15:48
With that being said, my local range decided to outlaw position shooting at our rifle range to where I can only shoot from the bench now. I am looking for a new range.
Gerald Baker
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 17:21
That sucks. Some guys look at me weird when I fire my .22 Savage from a sitting position...but maybe because I squeeze off 10-20 shots as fast as I can cycle the bolt and switch mags. But as long as you don't try to fire from the range the regs don't prevent other positions. I only have tried prone on the 300-yard range and that is far less crowded and has more serious shooters. Good luck with finding a better place to go.

Edited by jonoMT - September/07/2010 at 17:21
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 20:53
Mostly a buddy's farm. I wish it was closer. He has a 500 yard spot we shoot steel at.
Gerald Baker
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic