OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Spotting scopes - Covers or case or both?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spotting scopes - Covers or case or both?
    Posted: September/07/2010 at 18:08
Am about to spend some $ on a spotting scope - probably the Vortex 85.

What's the general consensus out there on protecting your investment?  Do you rely soley on just a scope cover, scope cover and hard case, or just a hard case?

I see the Vortex comes with a cordura cover.  I'm thinking an investment like this deserves something like a pelican case.  Anyone out there use a pelican?  If so what size/model and do you have any pictures of the scope in the case?

I'm thinking of either just big enough to comfortably hold my spotter or may go slightly bigger and have an optics box to hold my spotter, Eotech w/quick detach, and Viper PST w/quick detach.

Any thoughts and pictures?
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2010 at 09:43
Anyone..........?  With the cost of some of these optics, surely someone has thoughts on whether covers or cases work the best... right?
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2010 at 15:50
That Vortex Razor 85HD is built like a tank.  I have just been using the included case to avoid cosmetic scratches, and taking it out when I mount it to the tripod for viewing.  I don't use the case as a view-through very often.  I don't see a need for another case.  Neoprene covers have the unfortunate side effect of holding water between the cover and scope when used in rain.  Hard cases are great, and look cool, but I don't think they are necessary for the Razor.
-Matt
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2010 at 23:59
My US Optics Spotter w/ GAP reticle (matches my SN3's) looks like it has been through 3 tours in Afghanistan ... Screw in covers ... toss back in pack ... move out.

Im pretty rough on my gear though Big Grin ... why I use USO.  If you want to keep it shiny and new so it looks purdy on the firing line ... use both Big Grin

Packable tripod that isn't a cheap plastic POS ... be prepared to spend some serious coin. 

I made my own ...

Piece of 3/8 Aluminum rod stock cut into 3 - 6 inch lengths. 

Aluminum Block 10 holes in it ...
3 = 15 degree
3 = 30 degree
3 = 45 degree
1 = threaded hole on top for ball mount
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2010 at 07:24
Thats what I needed to know.  Thanks.  I wasn't sure how fragile the better scopes are.  I don't mind character marks.  Having never owned optics worth over the $1000.00 mark, I figured it better to ask before hand.
SLIVER View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2011 at 06:31
Here is what I use for my Razor HD. It protects the body and the lenses, and is still has quick access if you need to get it set up in a hurry. 

))--SLIVER-->
))--SLIVER-->
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2011 at 08:02
Gun Safe when it is not being used. rubber armore Wink
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
muleycrazy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleycrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2012 at 14:27
Snug fit is a good way to go
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic