OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

No more group shooting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No more group shooting
    Posted: September/14/2010 at 18:40
I have grown tired of going to the range and shooting groups. I will probably only shoot a couple groups from now on. I am looking for some input from those of you that have come up with ways of making shooting challenging and fun again.

I am looking for stuff to do at a normal club range, has to be paper targets.
And things to do at a farm that I can shoot any scenario we can come up with out to about 500 yds.

I like the sniper hide dot target and I think I will like that. 
I am thinking of shooting back and forth single shot from lets say 50, 100, 220, 350, 500 in no order and back and forth. Maybe have a partner call the target and time how long to dial in and take a good shot.

Suggestions please.  
Gerald Baker
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2010 at 19:30
I hear ya. I go to the range because it's 20 minutes away, setup time is quick, but aside from the gongs and doing dot drills, there's not much. If you get out in a decent place that's safe and isolated, I recommend setting up stationary targets with good backstops and move around with a .22. I try to do that at a run and shoot offhand, sitting, kneeling, prone. I'll purposely get behind obstacles that make it hard to get on target.

If you're stuck going to the range, do it on a day when the wind is really blowing and squirrelly. That can make it more humbling, if not interesting.
Reaction time is a factor...
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2010 at 20:24

22lr. 60gr subsonic @300 YRDS WILL MAKE YOU APPRECIATE GROUPS...

I have thought that this is a perfect example for many bored shooters.

You can try the 22lr targets that score until you miss and if you miss you are done.

I have tried them with a 5.56 out 2-300 and that is some fun shooting I am sure someone can post a link of them...

The idea is progressively smaller targets worth more points however many shots you can take until you miss stop when you want...

The other suggestion would be go back to iron sights for awhile on the old WWI or WWII things and appreciate the $25-100 say Nagant Accuracy out to 500 yards just remeber they are meters and that is why you are hitting high...

Do not SPOT take however many rounds you want at a target (be safe) and score yourself...

IRONS sights with a rifle is very much fun with the above sequence... 

This was very humbling for me but I did it...

M1 Garand Standing 80 shots @ 300yrds... Same target

Lets just say I got my first D in my life on that report card...
(if un accounted for shots count as Failing I got an F couldn't find 3 that I remeber)

Break the String at the bottom of the paper targets draw a line and break the string...

Start out thick Magic Marker and go down to fine sharpie...

Timed against a Gallon of water with a hole in it put as many in the X as you can without breaking any BLACK...

Shoot Darts, against a friend, 3 shots eliminates and you cannot score till all numbers are eliminated, Shoot the Triples and Doubles and any shot in the single number past 3 before they are all hit is negative scored, 3 shots per round...  It can get very competitive... 

Darts is played in variation at many bases / posts for money when the DRILLS stop...

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - September/14/2010 at 20:56
No one
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2010 at 20:51
Try a club with precision shooting matches or F-class.  If that gets boring.........  Take up golf!   Wink
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2010 at 20:53
Here is a link to ours.
http://www.scssa.org/600-yard_rifle.htm

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2010 at 21:13
Thanks. I have thought about the match route. But I am looking for things to practice that are good for precision work without being see how small of a group you can make. I like the moving with a 22. I have been thinking of getting one to do some position work with.
Gerald Baker
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2010 at 21:36
  I don't know how things are around where you live but my home is surrounded by woods and fields so alot of times I'll take my .22 out and plink.  I'll shoot things like walnuts out of trees,mushrooms on the ground,spots on stumps,and other odds and ends.  Fun stuff!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2010 at 01:05
308, I know where you are coming from. I reached that same stage some time ago. First thing I did was throw out the rifle rest and sand bags. Next is practice different positions. I do not mind the funny looks when I lie prone on the concrete slab next to the shooting benches.
I also made my own 8 inch gongs which I shoot at different distances and positions. Wind is another funny friend. Shoot when the weather is crap.

But the real interest remains in competition. Shoot in competitions. That gives you incentive to practise and train. Not just shooting, but also to stay physically fit.

If that does not tickle your fancy, then it is time to take up a new sport.

Edited by 8shots - September/15/2010 at 01:05
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2010 at 01:50
I have never gotten bored shooting... I can always find a way to entertain myself.  One occasion I was shooting extremely well... game was shoot all the targets down... have to sever the tape on all 4 corners.  It's a bit of a challenge...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2010 at 07:52
That or shoot trees huh dan?
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2010 at 17:25
Thanks guys. I have a few good ideas now.
Gerald Baker
saitotiktmdog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2010 at 20:36
Try and spell things with you shot placement. Or make smiley faces.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2010 at 21:30

Remeber the Mel Gibson Smiley face in Leathal Weapon...

GOOD LUCK>>>
No one
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2010 at 02:16
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

You just WON'T let it go... will you???

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
scooter65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2010 at 06:53

I thought he was cutting firewood.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2010 at 07:40
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

You just WON'T let it go... will you???

Wink
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2010 at 21:35

Jack O'Connor wrote that he could shoot very well with a sling and a peep sight. He said something to the effect that he would rather have a sling and a peep sight than a scope and no sling.

A while back, I decided to try to learn to shoot from field positions using a sling. Bought a Brownells Latigo sling. Shot prone and kneeling and using rests of opportunity. With a scope. Leaning against the pickup, or a tree. Hunched down over a rock.

Shot some good groups that way.

The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2010 at 03:48
Go back to shooting using open sights and do it in different positions or take up Black Powder shooting.
John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2010 at 21:57

assuming your shooting a rifle, try switching up to a pistol they are alot tougher to shoot in my opinion. I'ts halloween time, carve a pumpkin using your rifle at 100+ yards thats always fun (messy at times).

sgsxr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 10:20
Pin up a deck of cards and play some 5 card stud.  ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic