OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

No more group shooting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2010 at 08:56

Shot gun shells (spent) that you will not redload and 22lr.  Try placing them between 25 and 75 yards and shooting the primer out – hit if you take the primer out and a bulls eye if you remove the primer and leave the little copper ring in the primer pocket.  The variable distance makes it fun trying to get the correct elevation for the 22lr.  After a day of serious shooting I always try something fun to finish the day with.

dsr
cvedrick View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cvedrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2010 at 11:13
If you are on your own land, pick up a cheap case of soda or root beer next time you are at the dollar store.  Set a few out in the sun @ varying distances and plug away, most satisfying when hit by hi-power round!

If limited to paper, take a buddy and get some of those game targets, balloons, cards, dartboard etc. and have the buddy call the shot, or a game of cricket.

if groups are no challenge, try setting a .22 cal 25yd. NRA target @ 100 yd and shooting 300...
Rothstein1987 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2011 at 19:11

If you got a grain leg on your farm climb up there and try something with a big of elevation on small targets just dont fall off...Shocked

Mausers forever

That was great but can you do it again??
hatton mann View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 01:51
Consider an AppleSeed Clinic. Funamental position shooting. Translates dierctly to the field. Scopes o.k.,,,no bi-pods or benches. Essentially you will be be trying to hit a mark consistently, as opposed to shooting groups. You will leave the clinic w/ a collection of drill targets, that you can copy. The targets will give you a benchmark of where you are (skill wise) at the moment, and are a clear picture of where you are any given day and season to season.
Basic drill is 25M, making 22rimfire an economical platform, though any caliber up to .32 is allowed. At a clinic you can easily go through hundreds of rounds so for most, the rimfire is the economical choice. I've seen guys burn through a lot of centerfire at these things however.
My eyesight has gotten somewhat astigmatic over the last few years, but I wanted to qualify w/ open sights. After tweaking my 10/22 w/ TechSights and a trigger job I was able to hit a qualifying score. I admit it took quite a few attempts.
If I'm not mistaken, if you qualify at your first AppleSeed, you will get your registration fee refunded.
AppleSeed is a 'clinic', not a match. No trophys', no medals. If you qualify you get an embridered patch that simply says; 'RIFLEMAN'.
Full Disclosure : NO RELIGON NO POLITICS. You will get a history lesson based on the events of April 19, 1775. The AppleSeed thinks that if Americans knew their heritage (and the role markmanship has played in it ) they might be more interested in Amerca. YMMV.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic