OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Advice about a trijicon accupoint scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheel10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice about a trijicon accupoint scope
    Posted: September/15/2010 at 19:19
Hi.  Looking for a trijicon scope for my CAR AR-15.  I use the scope to hunt coyotes, 90% at night.  My first questions is which model, 40mm or 56mm.  My only worry about the 56mm scope is the weight and the what it will do to the way the gun handles. However, Most of my shots are taken off of sticks.  Do I need the extra size?  It would be nice to use the 40mm because I already have 1" rings and they are a little cheaper. 
Second: I finally got a chance to look at the dot & standard duplex.  Keep in mind this was in the extremely well lit store, but the dot seemed so small and dim.  I didn't feel like my eye was drawn to the dot like it was when i look through at the post and triangle.  Once again it will be mostly night hunting, so what do you suggest?  I have found a good price on a 56mm with Amber dot.  Most of what I have read says green is better.  Should I just spend the extra money and get a green reticle or will the amber serve me well? 

Thanks in advance, mike
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2010 at 19:22
Color of the dot is more personal preference.
grumpy04730 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpy04730 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2010 at 19:39
I have to agree with you on the dot looking small in a well light store  I looked through a green mildot 3x9x40 at Cabelas last week and the same thing crossed my mind. As far as the dot being dim I wouldn't worry about it after dark it will be just fine . I have used a accupoint with the triangle and it is very fast to get on target with but also covers a lot of your target at the same time compared to the dot if you try to do some longer range work. I guess it is what you are used to. I think I prefer amber over green or red but many people I talk to like the green what ever you get i'm sure you will like it
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2010 at 09:05
I have had several of these scopes and run the 3-9 mildot/green dot on my 6.8 for hog hunting at night

what you will  find in actual field use is perfection with the dot size and brightness

As for the 40 vs 56
the latter is brighter, but not drastically so.

do you use any sort of illumination?
if so, I would go with the 40mm just to keep the weight down

of not, and relying soley on moonlight, I would go with the 56

to add the above..
the 56 is much  heavier, so, if it's a stalking gun.. keep that in mind
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2010 at 17:48
Originally posted by wheel10 wheel10 wrote:

Hi.  Looking for a trijicon scope for my CAR AR-15.  I use the scope to hunt coyotes, 90% at night.  My first questions is which model, 40mm or 56mm.  My only worry about the 56mm scope is the weight and the what it will do to the way the gun handles. However, Most of my shots are taken off of sticks.  Do I need the extra size?  It would be nice to use the 40mm because I already have 1" rings and they are a little cheaper. 
Second: I finally got a chance to look at the dot & standard duplex.  Keep in mind this was in the extremely well lit store, but the dot seemed so small and dim.  I didn't feel like my eye was drawn to the dot like it was when i look through at the post and triangle.  Once again it will be mostly night hunting, so what do you suggest?  I have found a good price on a 56mm with Amber dot.  Most of what I have read says green is better.  Should I just spend the extra money and get a green reticle or will the amber serve me well? 

Thanks in advance, mike

I don't understand the "spend the extra money and get a green reticle" comment.  The price should be the same regardless of reticle color.

The 2.5-10X56 will give you better low light performance beyond 7X, but at the expense of extra weight, bulk, and mounting height.  The scope itself is very nice, but the main issue I have with the 2.5-10X56 is the eye relief varies by 1.3 inches (2.8" - 4.1") from 2.5X to 10X, whereas the 3-9X40 eye relief only varies by .4" from 3X to 9X.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2010 at 17:51
By the way, welcome to OT, Wheel10!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2010 at 18:03
If it is a heavy AR, the 2.5-10 will be fine.  If it is not a heavy-barrel AR, the Accupoint will make it harder to ahndle.  it is not a small scope.

As for optics, it is great, comparable to Conquest, I'd say.

And I would go for the mil dot reticle over the post.  The mil dot is less illuminated ( the center of the cross hairs rather than the triangle at the tip of the post.)  Also, with the mil dot, you can add elevation correction on the reticle, since the elevation and windage turrets are capped.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2010 at 20:19
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

If it is a heavy AR, the 2.5-10 will be fine.  If it is not a heavy-barrel AR, the Accupoint will make it harder to ahndle.  it is not a small scope.

As for optics, it is great, comparable to Conquest, I'd say.

And I would go for the mil dot reticle over the post.  The mil dot is less illuminated ( the center of the cross hairs rather than the triangle at the tip of the post.)  Also, with the mil dot, you can add elevation correction on the reticle, since the elevation and windage turrets are capped.

agreed 100%
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2010 at 21:13
Regarding the build of the rifle -- "CAR" ---- if it is a light fast carbine 16 to 18 in collapsable stock build.  I have these two however there are several styles to chose from and one should pay close attention to field of view and eye relief as they differ quite a bit.  I use the 3x red crosshair in a La Rue RCO mount and am quite happy with it as .223 is a fairly flat shooting cartridge. I find that if I zero the 1.5x amber triangle at 300 yds I am sub minute of angle with the 1.5x so depending on what distance you are shooting set your zero and hold a little under or over for other distances, probably a 200 yd zero would be about ideal for you that is where I have my red 3x set at.
Trijicon 1.5x16 Compact Acog Rifle Scope Amber Triangle Trijicon 1.5x16 Compact Acog Rifle Scope
Stock # - TA442
  • Amber Triangle
  • Free Lens Cleaning Pen w/ Purchase
$909.95
Trijicon 3x24 Compact Acog Rifle Scope Red Crosshair Trijicon 3x24 Compact Acog Rifle Scope
Stock # - TA50R4
  • Red Crosshair
  • Free Lens Cleaning Pen w/ Purchase
$909.95

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - September/16/2010 at 21:15

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
wheel10 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheel10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2010 at 22:33

I don't understand the "spend the extra money and get a green reticle" comment.  The price should be the same regardless of reticle color.

[/QUOTE]

I just meant I have a chance to buy a used one in amber, but used ones in green are hard to come by so I would probably have to buy new.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2010 at 22:38
Welcome to the OT wheel!

Did you try calling Trijicon to see if they can change you over to a green reticile?
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
wheel10 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheel10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2010 at 22:38
thanks all for the input and the warm welcome!  I think I'll go with 3-9x40 green cross hair!  Should be perfect medicine for those winter coyotes.  mike
wheel10 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheel10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2010 at 22:39
No, do they do that?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2010 at 07:39
Its possible.  Trigicon is easy to get in touch with.  They answer the phone not a recording that directs you to 100 different places.  A call to them will answer any question if they do or not.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic