OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

socom 16 m1-A scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tn308fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: socom 16 m1-A scope
    Posted: November/09/2005 at 07:44

i just bought one of these yeasterday, and love it.however my eyes are like they use to be so i want to put some optics on it, with some magnification. i was thinking of the leupold mark 4 1.5-5x20 pr, the mark4 midrange m2 30mm tube illuminated special purpose, or lastly the mark 4 1-3x14mm cq/t.which one would be the best for this setup.i would appreciate any input. thnaks roger

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2005 at 09:40
I'm somewhat confused perhaps I have the models mixed up. If you got the Socom it has a forward scout mount-which is the best- and will only allow scout scopes or forward placed dots. This gun deserves Aimpoints best dot. If you got an M1-A without a cheek riser and a rear mount scope take it back and get the "Scout" Socom. Even though I'm a devout Leo fan, the Leo 1-3 dot cq/t is about the worst thought out piece of trying to get one thing to do everything high dollar item I've yet to encounter in the shooting optics. It is neither a good "cross hair" scope or a good dot. A.C.O.G. has this beat so far I don't even know where to begin.
dilligaf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dilligaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2005 at 19:27

The primary purpose for the rifle should dictate the optics selection. As Dale said you have a great forward pic rail to mount on.

Unless you want to use a traditional M1A mount & cheek pad, I'd stick with an Aimpoint or Eo Tech. They will have the eye relief you will need for the forward mount.

Joe

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2005 at 15:20

Good advise already given, as usual.

I still think the Aimpoint M3 is "The Red Dot" though. I'm more familiar with the switch on the Aimpoint. 

Eotech's are good to go too.

Try both out before purchasing. Some people like vanilla, some like chocolate, and the only thing red dot owners agree on is that we don't agree.  

I just wanted to say congrats on a super cool rifle buy, Bro!! Those rifles are wicked!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2005 at 09:34

It's not to late to trade the Socom on a DPS or similar (a folding stock Galil perhaps), especially a light weight frame and folding stock, a far better set up.

USMCRONIN View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USMCRONIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2005 at 21:08

I owned a Galil.... M1A's out shout them any day, Galils are nice, but still an AK pattform.  But then my M1A SuperMatch out shoots most anything  haha

As far as optics for a SOCOM II I'm looking for the right match too, I've got a couple of ACOGs, the 4x32 is just too high for my taste, works great on my AR's...  I have one of the Compact ACOG's waiting for SWFA to send my a low mount for it, it has a long eye relief but may not be long enough.  I'm thinking of a Aimpoint ML3, but are wondering just now low one can mount these...

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2005 at 09:05
Over a 20 year period I have had 2 NM M-14, one built by a military armour and a Springfield heavy barrel with a Krieger barrel and Mcmillian stock. Also 3 additional standard  including various actions with High Standard and Winchester components. None match the current Armalite I am now shooting. Built up M-1A's are completely different guns than standard (most are very finicky about headspacing), a Match Sniper Galil will group with any M-1A. One of the regular M-1A doubled and blew the bolt thru the back of the receiver missing my right check. It took a while to warm up to them again. The AK and FN platforms are better than the Garand, Mauser Modifed M-1A's in almost any situation (no outside operating rod). While on average, an M1-A may outgroup (may shoot smaller groups) it is not a better over all weapon. The Socom does not solve the basic problem. It is not particulary accurate over it's standard form, nor does it have the collapsing stock of the Galil or current FN paratroopers. If one is looking for target grade such as a SuperMatch then one needs to compare apples to apples such as "preped" H&K's, Galiles,and FN's.
dilligaf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dilligaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2005 at 21:00

An Aimpoint should mount low enough while providing the eye relief you will need. It will mount within the same plane as the iron sights sit. I had to use a full spacer with the  Arms QRD mount on an M4 to get my M2 to co-witness in the lower 1/3 of the optic.

If you want to see a cool new stock for the M1A's check out the modular stock by SAGE. They are on a couple of different websites The best photos are on the Fulton Armory site.

Joe 

USMCRONIN View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USMCRONIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2005 at 21:33
The Iron sights on the SOCOM are quite a bit lower the AR's/M4's.  There will be a new stock from Vltor in a few months, they make the SOCOM rail system and are working on a new stock, pretty nice to say the least I've seen pics of it and it looks like a winner.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic