OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What does it take to make the perfect rimfire scop
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What does it take to make the perfect rimfire scop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bman940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What does it take to make the perfect rimfire scop
    Posted: September/20/2010 at 23:55
If you build a rimfire scope from the ground up, what would you want to o see? 
Inquiring minds want to know....
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 00:09
What phase of rimfire shooting is this perfect scope to be used? Hunting, Target, long range practice. Daylight or dark knocking down treed Coons. It would be impossible to have a perfect rimfire scope that fits all the wide range of shooting disciplines covered by the all powerful rimfire cartridge.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 21:18
I'm sorry,I will never buy a scope that doesn't come with misses in it.Hell I have a perfect record why would I want to brake that streak Big Grin
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
bman940 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bman940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2010 at 10:06
I think this rimfire scope will have to work for many different applications. Defintely hunting, target shooting/plinking. I am thinking something affordable that anyone could put on a 10/22 and have a great time and not wish they had splurged more $.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2010 at 10:03
I have never had a scope that I didn't wish I had more at some point .
wish list.
1. very light weight.
2. Crystal clear optics at all powers.
3. 1X for running squirrels
4. 30X for fine target shots.
5. Slim and sleek to match .22 size
6. Large eyebox for fast accusituon.
7. 90 mm to pick up light at night
8. Heavy reticle for low light
9 Extra fine reticle for targets
10. Strong as a ratchet wrench to be tossed in the bed of the truck.
Shocked

bman940 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bman940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2010 at 13:02
LOL, 
The proverbial be careful what you ask for.....
Thanks for the very thought out reply.
I think the only thing you didn't say was under $100!
I agree with many of them. 
I think 3-12x42, maybe 32....
Agree,slim and sleek....Crystal, absolutely,fine reticle,ok....
90 mm, there goes light and sleek....
Strong, yup, mine ends up in a tool box in a case arapped in a blanket when I have 4 people with me.
Thanks for input, can't wait to see what others consider important in a 22LR scope.

SharpShooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharpShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 06:50

I currently only have one .22 rifle (Marlin 880SQ) that I use for everything from target shooting to squirrel and coon hunting.  So, the perfect scope is something i've been looking for as well and I just ordered a Nitrex TR2 3-15X42 with the EBX Ballistic reticle that I believe is going to be able to cover all of my needs. 

My idea of the perfect rimfire scope is one that has (this is going to resemble the scope I just ordered, but for good reason):
1. A wide magnification range for both hunting and target shooting (2.5-16 like bushnell).
2. Side focus that that goes down to at least 25 yards (10-15 would be even better).
3. An objective lense that is big enough for target shooting and low light shooting but not too big to be easily carried in the woods (40-42 is my favorite).
4. A ballistic reticle that allows for quick shots at a wide variety of ranges, but one that isnt too cluttered for hunting.  Also, not too thin for hunting but not too thick for target shooting.
5. Ballistic software to go with this reticle so that I can match it to my exact ammo.
6. An illuminated reticle option.
7. Open/pop-up turrets (1/4moa) that are very reliable for the situations where there is time to make adjustments for longer shots.
8. All the obvious stuff like crystal clear lenses, as light as possible, durrable, and of course affordable.  I would be willing to pay anywhere from $250-$400 depending on the quality.  I know a lot of people dont like spending that much on a scope for their rimfire, but some will spend well over double that. I think that most of the opticly-informed people on here know that a relatively decent quality scope is going to start at around the $250 mark if not more.  There are scopes that cost less than that like the Muller APV that have had many great reviews, but that's not a feature rich scope like the above mentioned.  Again though, this is all just my opinion.  Hope maybe some of it was helpful.

I was going to buy a 4-16X42 Monarch with either a mildot or BDC reticle, but I wanted something that could focus down to less than 50 yards.  It was the top runner until I saw the Nitrex and the deal they had on them. Wasnt going to buy a scope until next summer, but I had to jump on the deal. 

Anyways, that is MY idea of the perfect rimfire scope.  I know a scope like that isn't going to be as light as a 2-7X32 or have as much magnification as an 8-32X50, but it's right in the middle of both of them and I think that kind of scope covers a little bit of everything.  The only way to cover absolutely everything is to make an entire line of scopes to do so:)
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 08:55
Originally posted by bman940 bman940 wrote:

The Target

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 09:07
LaughI like it!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 09:36
Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
Multi-X Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
Stock # - 424164SF
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
  • Side Focus
  • Free Fleece Pullover (Mail-In Coupon)
$499.95
Weaver 2.5-7x28 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope
Dual-X Weaver 2.5-7x28 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope
Stock # - 849431
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
$139.95
I had one of the bushnell 4200 4-16x40 scopes on my 22 untill I needed it for a 30-06 now I have a Weaver 2.5-7x28 both have been quite acceptable for general purpose use and light target use.
There are many scopes that work for a 22 but you either need adjustable parallax or a rimfire scope with parallax adjusted to a range more suited for how a 22 is most often used. If someone was going to really stretech out the distance and target shoot with it past 200 yds I think the Sightron SIII fixed 16x or 20x would be a good choice as they have a huge amount of internal adjustment. The problem with .22 is the accuracy is limited by the poor aerodynamic design when you compare it to something like a 17HMR.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
bman940 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bman940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 12:39
Frnd, I agree with mst of what you say. I just don't think hunting "critter" past 100 yards is realistic and I have friends that won't shoot past 50-75 yards max. 
One of the key drawbacks to the 22LR is bullet design, I think there is only so much that can be done hence the popularity of the 17 hmr which lets you reach out to 200 yards with practice. Of course both of these rounds are also severely affected by even a light breeze. They are both big fun to shoot and the 22LR at 50 and the 17 at 100 are tough to beat. I have always been a 22 hornet fan too....

The rimfire scope I am asking for suggestions needs to be many different things. All of which are recreational. There are a lot of scopes on the markey today that work on the 22LR, but one that is exactly what we want ....?
     A few posts ago the request for an immuminated reticle option came up, honestly that's the first time someone has suggested that for a rimfire scope, definitely something to check into. I have a IR scope but have never needed the Illumununated Reticle for any deer I have shot thus far. Neat to have though.

Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 12:51
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Originally posted by bman940 bman940 wrote:

The Target
Now that's good thinking right there Big Grin
I'm classic shag nasty type.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 16:54
For me, the best rimfire scope that I have ever had (as far as features) is the Old Weaver V-22.
It was light and slim, yet had a fairly large eyebox for its day that was easy to get behind. Fine reticle with 2-6 zoom. That old Weaver did not have coatings like the scopes of today, but it had most of what it needed. Nobody makes anything like it anymore.
To design new,1.5 or lower on the bottom would be nice. 6-7 on top. Clear, Not the cloudy fuzzy stuff that is in many of the rimfire scopes. This way you do not feel the need for more magnification. 1" tube to give a little more elevation range for the ones that need it.
50 yd paralax that would keep the higher power crisp. This would be a good start for a good .22 scope.

bman940 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bman940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2010 at 11:38
Agree, a 1" tube, fine reticle though I am quite partial to the BDC reticles.
Glass surface coatings are key to making a rimfire scope a quality scope hunters/shooters can use in all settings and light conditions. 
Thanks,
Centaur 1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centaur 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 20:27

There are plenty of scopes that will work great on the .17hmr, when I think of "rimfire" I think of the .22lr. What I would like to see is an affordable scope. Twenty two's in my eye's are short range fun guns that also make great short range, small game guns. Most of us just want to have fun on weekends and shoot some squirrels and rabbits come fall. Most of us use rifles that cost in the $200 range and we buy bulk ammo at Walmart. We want our setups to shoot minute of squirrel at 50 yards and we like to make targets spin.

What I think that I would like.

1) Price <$100
2) Low power variable, 1-4, 1-5 etc.
3) 1" diameter tube
4) 20mm objective
5) short length, 6-8"
6) Duplex reticle
7) 4-5" eye relief
8) 25 yard paralax (that's half of what I consider reasonable max range)
bman940 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bman940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2010 at 11:11
Thanks Centaur, 
$100 for a good scope might be a tough deal.
I agree, when I think of rimfire I think of 22lr.
Some ideas I have received ar 20-40 mm obj.
6-12 in. length
All diferent reticle suggestions.
duplex,illuminated,BDC and a few more.
50 yard. Para. is what most suggest.

I buy my 22 lr ammo same place you do. Best price I can get!
My son shoots 22 LR ammo like he's not paying for it, oh, he's not.
I make him shoot a bolt when I can to really practice.

Thank you for the input, I have had a great response to this question.

Centaur 1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centaur 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2010 at 10:48
The parrallax is probably not that critical. It's just common for me to squirrel hunt where shots are 25 feet to 25 yards. I also don't think that reticle is important. People just expect more than plain crosshairs. A bdc reticle might actually be helpful in my case of extreme close range, most times I have to aim high in order to hit squirrels. The reasons that I believe the scope should have the smaller objective are simple. Large objective lens came about so enough light can come through at high power. Since we don't use .22's to kill things at 600 yards using a 24X scope the large lens isn't needed. Also, most 22's are smaller than centerfire rifles and full sized scopes just look awkward.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2010 at 11:41
It does not really matter how far you are looking, the amount of light transmitted through the scope will be the same.  IMO, once a scope drops below 3mm to 4mm of exit pupil I cannot stand to use them.  They get to dim, and the eye placement becomes to critical.  So dropping the objective size of a high power scope only hurts performance.  Sure it may look a little better and sit lower, but considering what it does to performance it is not a very good trade off IMO.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2010 at 11:42
A couple of scopes that would work very well on a .22 would be the 6x and 10x Super Snipers.  THey have plenty of exit pupil, decent glass quality and they focus all the way down to 10yards.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
bman940 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bman940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2010 at 16:42
Most folks like the 3-9 with something in the 32-42 mm obj.
Got the BDC reticle, I have shot my 10/22 using it and done well.
No plans to shoot ast 100 yards with a 22 lr
Agree, exit pupil is huge and anytihng less then 3.5 mm is prob. going ot be to small.
Thanks again for all the thoughtful suggestions.
Like I keep telling folks, be careful what you ask for....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic