OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

OT Coffee House Part II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 267>
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 14:11

You'll have him drooling Earl...... 

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 14:18
I really want a big bore too but my wants of what type keep changing.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
scooter65 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 14:24
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Is that all!  I know what you mean Paul!  When I got my 12BTV to the range for the first time I got giddy and started giggling like a little girl.  Rounds 10-35 were shot 5 to a target and all targets were sub-MOA!  I laid down all the rounds pretty quick too, under 15 minutes total, giggling all the way.  I was getting some strange looks from the other shooters there.
A cease fire was called and as we all walked down to collect targets I was motor mouthing up a storm.  When we got to the targets at least 3 other shooters were curious enough to check out my targets before I pulled them.  All were 3/8 to about 0.89MOA.  Two of the others shooters had noted how fast i had shot and were surprised at the sustained accuracy!  I wore a big ole $hit eating grin home that day!
You expect us to believe thats the only time?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 14:25
Excellent
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 14:29
  First I guess we gotta define "BIG BORE".  To me it kinda starts with .358 caliber and goes up.

Myself I like the big hvy bullet/slow to moderate speed ones in carbines.  Bolt or lever.

In the big hvy bullet magnums I'll take one like pyro's.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 14:35
I am back and forth on a lever 45-70 like you SIL got, a 458 or 450 ARupper, or a No. 1 Ruger in the 458 Lott.  I really like the AR though and doubt I'd ever use the others over the choice of an AR.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 14:46
  Read an article a while back by Phil Shoemaker where he tested a .50 Beowulf on an AR platform.  
  He was impressed.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 14:47
I just find the cost of components to be to high to go that route.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 14:49
 Yep. As I've mentioned before,I know nothing about them except they can be an expensive hobby.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 14:50
This is how it goes around here; a new bar opens up and three popular bars close down from lack of buisness.

The Savage I shoot must be a lemon. It barely shot MOA when I got it. After working with it and loads I finally got one hole groups of 5/8", but it shoots them consistantly. I was shooting clay birds at over 300yds and a bowling pin over 400yds away repeatedly, Saturday. Maybe I should try a different weight bullit. Guess you can't make a Black Betty out of a sow's ear.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 15:42
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

I really want a big bore too but my wants of what type keep changing.

You,you, you Pyro you!  Loco
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 15:47
Originally posted by scooter65 scooter65 wrote:

Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Is that all!  I know what you mean Paul!  When I got my 12BTV to the range for the first time I got giddy and started giggling like a little girl.  Rounds 10-35 were shot 5 to a target and all targets were sub-MOA!  I laid down all the rounds pretty quick too, under 15 minutes total, giggling all the way.  I was getting some strange looks from the other shooters there.
A cease fire was called and as we all walked down to collect targets I was motor mouthing up a storm.  When we got to the targets at least 3 other shooters were curious enough to check out my targets before I pulled them.  All were 3/8 to about 0.89MOA.  Two of the others shooters had noted how fast i had shot and were surprised at the sustained accuracy!  I wore a big ole $hit eating grin home that day!
You expect us to believe thats the only time?

That really stings coming from Captain Cuddles!  Whacker
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 15:56
One thing at a time fellas!  I need to finish my 223 Upper for my AR first.  I Might then look at something heavier for the AR.  Maybe one of these days they'll figure out how to make a dial a caliber barrel and action!  Wouldn't that be cool?
--Thomas Jefferson

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 15:56
BAAAAAA have guys
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 16:28
Man i hate training people. It's not that i'm not capable its the fact it takes away from my productivity. How the hell am i supposed to do my job at an acceptable level when i have joe dirt to teach a foreign system too? 
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 20:02
Originally posted by shooter07 shooter07 wrote:

Man i hate training people. It's not that i'm not capable its the fact it takes away from my productivity. How the hell am i supposed to do my job at an acceptable level when i have joe dirt to teach a foreign system too? 

you sound like my wifeShocked
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 20:05
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

First I guess we gotta define "BIG BORE".  To me it kinda starts with .358 caliber and goes up.

Myself I like the big hvy bullet/slow to moderate speed ones in carbines.  Bolt or lever.

In the big hvy bullet magnums I'll take one like pyro's.

if you wanna get technical, .375 and below are "medium" bores. .416 i believe is the start of "big" bores.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 20:51
Wouldn't that make the .416 a heavy medium, the 458 a light heavy, the 470 medium heavy and the.... I'm confusing myself.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 21:00
to be honest with you, i would start it at .458 diameter, i think the .416 is what koshkin would call a "tweener"Big Grin

in my world the .416's are like a .270, to small for the bigger stuff and to big for the smaller stuff.

i can hear dale reading this right now and shaking his head thinking " that damn kid dont know nothin"Bucky

Edited by pyro6999 - September/28/2010 at 21:01
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 21:18
Especially coming from you, two years ago you wanted nothing to due with the over .30 crowd.  See what age, marriage and children will due to you.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 267>
  Share Topic