OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Warranties compared for scope manufacturers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2010 at 21:55
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Originally posted by WestOfPecos WestOfPecos wrote:

all of their scopes are gold ring products, with the exception of the Mark 4 line, which is also covered by the same warranty as long as it is not used in combat. When I raised the question w/ Leupold, they confirmed to me that the same warranty would cover personal Mark 4s used by LEOs.

I was told slightly different info recently from Leupold CS in regards to their tactical scopes and that it wasn't just combat that effected how the warranty would be honored. If your right about LEO personally owned tactical scopes that's cool, it should be!!  Thunbs Up

You know, I am very leery of anything that is not in writing:-) I am actually collaborating on a article that surveys all scope warranties right now, so I asked Leupold to send me the official mark 4 warranty in writing. I should get the answer in a couple of days. This way we will be able to establish that for sure one way or another... I think they should honor the warranty for private ownership by LEOs too, that is why I specifically raised that question with them. Of course, I totally understand why they can't have the same warranty that they have for us with their military contracts.

I will update this thread with the official written answer when I get it:-)

Edited by WestOfPecos - October/20/2010 at 21:56
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2010 at 10:29
Originally posted by Prieto9000 Prieto9000 wrote:

I think Vortex is also no questions asked. Am I right??

Prieto - sorry for not answering earlier - I just missed your post. Yes, the Vortex warranty is a no-questions-asked warranty, and pretty much the best there is. Their CS is excellent, and they are prompt in returning warranty work. The only thing you can fault them for is that they are not as "established" as the other firms in the business. Of course, every year that passes by, they get more established:-)
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2010 at 10:53
Vortex has been in the optics business since 86.  I would say that is pretty established.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
dhdoyle View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dhdoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2010 at 11:55
Ya know, this discussion about warranty reminds me of shopping for an appliance. I did my research, and picked a product. The clerk tried to sell me an extended warranty. I told him that I had chosen that brand name because of its reliable reputation. Then I told him that I didn't expect than brand name to even need the basic warranty. Then I asked him, "You're trying to sell me an extended warranty. Do you know something I don't? Is this brand reliable or not?" He called the manager.Shocked

Frankly, I buy optics based on the likelyhood that I'll never need the warranty. If the product rarely fails, then my experience is that the company will stand behind it regardless of the paperwork.

The reverse gets you into a situation like WOTAC optics. (Yeah, I'll name them.) You can't deny that their customer service is great. Any thread in any forum will bring out piles of folks that will testify how great Matt is and how happy he was to replace a defective scope. However, that sheer volume of happy experiences implies to me that Wonders has a pretty high (amazingly high) return rate. If that's the case, I'm clearly not in his market demographics...

...and I tend to ignore warranty details when I buy stuff.

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2010 at 12:29
Originally posted by dhdoyle dhdoyle wrote:

...and I tend to ignore warranty details when I buy stuff.

Not me... I don't do all my shopping based on warranty, usually certain stuff that I abuse out in the field.

Example:

I have some Northface gear (tents, sleeping bags, jackets, etc.) with lifetime warranties that if something happens it gets repaired or replaced with minimal or no cost to me. I've sent in two older sleeping bags for repair and received two new ones for free, one gore-tex jacket and gore-tex bib (I use in fishing tournaments) that I received repaired jacket and new bibs for free.

Optics, same thing.

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
csacpt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csacpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2010 at 21:26
Bushnell is transferable, on the Elite line anyway.

"We are so proud of our Bushnell ELITE Riflescopes that their materials and workmanship are warranted to be free of defects for the life of the ELITE Riflescope*. The warranty is available to any owner of the ELITE Riflescope. No receipt or warranty card is required. This warranty does not cover damages caused by misuse or improper handling, installation or maintenance of the riflescope.

At our option, we will repair or replace any defective ELITE Riflescope, which shall be your sole remedy under this warranty. In no event shall we be liable for transportation costs to us, costs of removal or reinstallation of the riflescope, or incidental or consequential damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion of limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you."

How that translates into actual service I can't say, since I've never had to use it.
Better to die on your feet than live on your knees! "Ready and Forward"

M14 - Forged in Freedom - Proven in Battle
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2010 at 19:36
Originally posted by csacpt csacpt wrote:

Bushnell is transferable, on the Elite line anyway.

Only for the Elite line, nothing else, and only for the FIRST year:

US WARRANTY

Since 1984, the majority of our Bushnell sports optics products have been covered by a Limited Lifetime Warranty. Bushnell Outdoor Products guarantees those products to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for the lifetime of the original owner.

The exceptions (primarily for electronic products) are as follows:

• Bushnell Laser Rangefinders
  • Bushnell ImageView Binoculars & Spotting Scopes
  • Bushnell Trail Cameras
  • Bushnell Night Vision
  • Bushnell Radar Speed Guns
  • Bushnell HOLOsight
  • Bushnell LED Flashlights
  • Bushnell Red Dot Riflescopes
  • Bushnell NorthStar Telescope Electronics
  • Bushnell Falcon & Pacifica Binoculars
  • Bushnell NextView Binoculars
  • Bushnell Weather Forecasters
  • Bushnell GPS (BackTrack, Onix, Golf)
  • Two Year Warranty
  • Two Year Warranty
  • Two Year Warranty
  • Two Year Warranty
  • Two Year Warranty
  • Two Year Warranty
  • Two Year Warranty
  • Two Year Warranty
  • Two Year Warranty
  • Two Year Warranty
  • One Year Warranty
  • One Year Warranty
  • One Year Warranty
"No Questions Asked One Year Warranty ELITE Replacement Policy"
(This offer is limited to one original purchase refund per address. For additional information about this offer, please contact Customer Service)

Edited by WestOfPecos - October/24/2010 at 20:06
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2010 at 19:40
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Vortex has been in the optics business since 86.  I would say that is pretty established.  

They were only a retail store (Eagle Optics?) until the mid 2000s,  I think they started Vortex in 2004 or thereabouts. Or am I wrong?  So, as an OEM Brand, they only have half a dozen years behind them.

Edited by WestOfPecos - October/24/2010 at 19:43
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2010 at 15:12
Folks,

I just got off the horn with Swarovski Optik and they CS rep tells me that their lifetime warranty will become transferable. 

Jim
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 14:43
Originally posted by tjtjwdad tjtjwdad wrote:

CS rep tells me that their lifetime warranty will become transferable. 

Jim -  great news! That would make a huge difference if they do.
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 22:43

Originally posted by tjtjwdad tjtjwdad wrote:

CS rep tells me that their lifetime warranty will become transferable. 

Jim -  great news! That would make a huge difference if they do.
Like you, I'd rather see it in writting though.  But, they would be foolish not to do it.
amdenis View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amdenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2013 at 10:48
This a great tool you put together, and it could be very useful in helping people make purchase decisions, since warranties are an important factor for many.
With that said, I did my own research as I am about to purchase a scope in the $2-3K range, and I had checked on the websites of the various ones I am looking at (US Optics, Zeiss, Hensoldt, Schmidt and Bender, Vortex, Premier Reticles and Leupold).   While many of them have decent warranties, and some may very well go even above and beyond their warranties, I only found one of those that actually have a lifetime warranty on everything, which was Vortex. I assume that they are trying to make a name for themselves and/or allay fears that some like me may have about them being sort of the new, less proven kid on the block. In any event, somebody really should emend the good work you started.
For example:
Leupold: limits electronic like illum reticles to 1 or 2 years, depending on scope, and has scope specific limitations on everything else;
Schmidt & Bender limits to 2 years, and only makes reference to it being for the original buyer;
Burris: has either a limited 1, 3 or 5 year, a limited to original owner "Lifetime" (which is kind of confusing) or a "Forever" transferable warantee, where which of those waranrries ou get depends on the scope or related item;
Zeiss and Hensold have a transferrable, limited warrantee which requires you to register within 60 days of purchase to get a 5 year no fault warantee that covers field damage and such.
Swarovski has limitations on any scope with an illuminated reticle, as the warranty for the whole scope reverts to the European warranty: 5 year labor, 10 years parts and materials:, and the illuminated reticle itself is covered for 2 years.

One of the factors that has me leaning towards the Vortex (specifically the Razor HD 5-20 mil/mil with 10 Mil/rev turrets) is that there are not only no time, parts or any other restictions, but that they include a fully transferrable, no-fault, no questions asked, no registration or proof of purchase required warranty where lifetime means forever (as it should) not just the lifetime of the original buyer. Also, they apply this to all scopes and related products, not just some. Unlike any other I have found, the specifically cover misuse, abuse and other things that can often happen given enough time. This actually worried me a bit at first, since I wondered if they were trying to compensate for an actual or perceived lack of quality or durability. I researched this, and it appears that their scopes are very well received by owners in terms of user satisfaction related to quality and lack of problems. Also, I have read from many owners online who did dumb, abusive, absent-minded or related things to damage or destroy their scopes, who got them replaced typically in less than a week (often 2 days from when Vortex received it). I also read about various accounts of people who lost things like the scope cover, the ARD or other things, who also got a free, fast replacement, which obviously goes above and beyond their warranty, or any other waranty I know of.

Like I said, I believe based on what I have heard and read that many of these other companies will go above and beyond what they explicitly state in their waranties, but I believe that people should be aware of how unique and amazing Vortex's warranty and service has been, since not only should they be rewarded for it, but maybe (just maybe) it will lead some of these other top scope makers do the same.

In any event, maybe like 7 star hotels, you need to add another star category for Vortex and its warranty.
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2013 at 11:48
+1 on Vortex. They have one of the best in the business !
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2013 at 11:50

Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

What about SWFA's SS warranty?  Chris doesn't really list one but everyone knows if something is wrong he replaces it.   nothing written down but Its a 10-star warranty in my eyes!  And I know i won't have to use it either.Big Grin

I could not find a written warranty, although I am sure there is one somewhere. But I would only publish a rating if it rates really high, it is their site after all:-) I know their service is really good.

I was wondering the same thing. 
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2013 at 12:43
Anyone ever find anything on SWFA?
amdenis View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amdenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2013 at 16:15
Related to Super Sniper scopes from SWFA, it appears that they do not have any info related to their warranty posted on their site or elsewhere, so the only thing I could find is a scan somebody did of an SS waranty. I am not sure if it is the current SS Waranty being offerd, nor if it applies to all of their scopes, but what I found was that they offer a Limited, Lifetime warantee, which applies to any defects or problems with the scope. It does not define "lifetime" (I.e. scope's or the original purchaser), but often that means that it is the scope/company's lifetime, unless otherwise stated.   It does not cover field, incidental, usage/misuse or other such things that most others do not cover either (other than Vortex, who a rep at shot show this year said that they have gotten some in that "looked like they were used for hammers or something", which they replaced free of charge).

Maybe someone out there has an SS Scope and can verify this, and emend as necessary?

Anyway, it seems to be an average type of warranty from what I could scavenge, as they were the only company I have not been able to readily find their product warranties for online. It is possible that I may have missed it, but I did some fairly extensive searching.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2013 at 23:13
Super Sniper scopes are made to SWFA specs and they do stand behind the product.  I do not think that the warranty would cover if one dropped it down the side of a mountain like Vortex warranty would but if there is some defect in workmanship or some failure of the optic to work properly
SWFA Customer Service does a good job of addressing the problem. On some type repairs that can be made I believe they have an arrangement with Bushnell to do certain things. I know that they have replaced a couple with new scopes if there was truely something defective.  For the most part the SS scopes are very sturdy they were designed for military use and I have not had problems with any that I have owned.  I own several and would gladly buy more.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2013 at 07:23
After stumbling around the internet I did find a review link from super sniper.com. This link indicates as a "Current SWFA SS scopes have a lifetime warranty performed by Bushnell on our behalf". So I understand this as a "lifetime, not a limited lifetime".

http://swfa-ss.com/Reviews/9-2.htm
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2013 at 10:06
Saying so may be unnecessary, but...

This is a 3 year old thread, and the initial information was not entirely accurate 3 years ago - less so now.

The effort is commendable, but the result should not be used as a primary deciding point.

Carry on.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
avery View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2013 at 19:06
For any Canadian's out there I can only warn you if you have a warranty issue with a Zeiss scope and you need to send it out be prepared to wait 3 months for its return. This was my experience. The scopes need to be sent to the US for repair but first needs to be sent to Gentec International in Markham, Ontario who will then send over the border. It probably dose not help that I live in norther British Columbia. I had the impression when i purchased the scope it was over the counter warranty but I was mistaken. Lucky my issue was just back specks that i could see through the scope so it didn't affect the functionality and i was able to put up with it and send it out with enough time to have it back for hunting season. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic