OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Vortex Viper 2-7x32 upgrade for similar Prostaff
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Viper 2-7x32 upgrade for similar Prostaff

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palehorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Viper 2-7x32 upgrade for similar Prostaff
    Posted: October/04/2010 at 09:02
1.  Am I correct in assuming this scope better than the Prostaff I have, 2-7x32mm (pictured below)?

2.  If it is, which reticle?  I am an eastern woods hunter, and like the looks of the German'ish Versa-Plex C3 Reticle.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-2-7x32-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P11227.aspx

Folically Challenged View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Folically Challenged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2010 at 09:12
I own a 2-7 Monarch UCC, which is supposed to be better than the ProStaff.  I consider the 2-7 Viper to be an upgrade over my Monarch.  So, if A>B, and B>C, then A>C, right???

The plex reticles in the Viper & Monarch seem to be pretty much identical.  I like the Vortex glass a bit better, I like the ergonomics much better, and the Vortex has more constant eye relief over the magnification range.  If I crank the Monarch upwards from 2X toward 7x, I have to crawl the stock to regain my eye position.  

FC
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2010 at 09:20
Palehorse: I compared the Viper 2x7 with the Prostaff 4x32, and I saw a significant difference between the two, optically, in favor of the Viper.  I assume it would be the same btw the Viper 2x7 and the Prostaff 2x7 (which I have never owned). On paper, There is also a significant difference in FOV at same mag, in favor of the Viper, by 25%. If I had neither I would choose the Viper.

However, every pair of eyes is different. You already have the ProStaff, which is a bit lighter, and minimally more compact. I think that most everyone will see a difference between the two. I am not 100% sure that everyone will see a difference significant enough to upgrade.

I have also never hunted back East, and I am not sure of the hunting conditions there. Beyond the FOV, I would say the difference is more significant in terms of discrimination/ clarity, and wider sweet spot - I feel that the low light difference is at most worth a small number of minutes if any.

As for the reticle, as I imagine, you know there is a wide preference on this site for the C3 reticle. I, on the other hand, have 2 BDC 2x7s, which I prefer because I like the wide stadia and the extra dots, to shoot at a longer distance at the range with my hunting reticles. But - that's me:-) In fact, what I have read on shooting literature (cf specifically Whelen Townshend) tells me that a C3 reticle would faster to shoot and more accurate at shorter distances.

Hope this helps - take care and good luck.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2010 at 09:43
  +1 on what Michel said.  I live in the east and have been using the diff reticles designed for the areas I hunt.  Although I haven't hunted with the C3 yet I've shot the rifle with it enough to believe (other than an illuminated reticle) it's going to be my favorite.

STILL wondering if Vortex is going to drop the C3 though.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Palehorse View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palehorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2010 at 10:54
I ordered a C3 version from SWFA.  I will let you know how it compares.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2010 at 11:55
I sure like mine 2-7X32 with the C3!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2010 at 20:46
I have a Plex and C3 arriving tomorrow
will do some low light testing and report back
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2010 at 21:08
love my c3 good stuff!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Palehorse View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palehorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2010 at 20:56
Vortex was not in stock Thumbs Down, so I switched to a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 Ballistic Plex, based mostly on Ilya's write up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic