OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tikka T3 Lite

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onfinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tikka T3 Lite
    Posted: October/09/2010 at 11:16
I have a chance to pick up a Tikka T3 Lite.  The good news is it is left handed, which I need, but the (possibly) bad news is it's a .270 WSM.

I have no experience with this cartridge, but instinct tells me it will be a heavy kicker in a lite rifle like the T3 Lite.  Anybody have this rifle?  How is the recoil, and would something like a Limbsaver pad help at all?

I haven't shot much lately other than .223 so this would be an experience for me.  Is the recoil anything that can't be modified simply (Limbsaver) and gotten used to over time?

Thanks,

Onfinal
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2010 at 14:44
it will definatly have some thump but then again how often are you gonna be shooting it for extended times? 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2010 at 16:51
Originally posted by onfinal onfinal wrote:

I have a chance to pick up a Tikka T3 Lite.  The good news is it is left handed, which I need, but the (possibly) bad news is it's a .270 WSM.

I have no experience with this cartridge, but instinct tells me it will be a heavy kicker in a lite rifle like the T3 Lite.  Anybody have this rifle?  How is the recoil, and would something like a Limbsaver pad help at all?

I haven't shot much lately other than .223 so this would be an experience for me.  Is the recoil anything that can't be modified simply (Limbsaver) and gotten used to over time?

Thanks,

Onfinal

i had a .300wsm in a light weight browning abolt. it was a kicker for sure, but i put a limbsaver pad on it and i would say it cut the recoil by at least 25%. the .270wsm wont be that bad. go for it man. i think you will be very impressed with the round.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
The Dude View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2010 at 21:47
I had a lefty t3 lite in 30-06. I guesstimate it cant be any worse than that which wasn't to bad. I put a Limbsaver pre-fit pad on it which helped quite a bit. I also had a MRC 1999 in 270wsm. It wasnt near as lite but it was a dream to shoot. Good cartridge, although I have since gone back to ye old standard 270 win. 

regards,

Josh
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2010 at 22:01

I have a 300 WSM in the Tikka and it is fine for me but Im a big guy so size matters if you are not very big it may be more than you want.  The .308 is a really pleasant cartridge and there are several others that you also could consider.  I love the rifle though I carry it all the time.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2010 at 22:30
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I have a 300 WSM in the Tikka and it is fine for me but Im a big guy so size matters if you are not very big it may be more than you want.  The .308 is a really pleasant cartridge and there are several others that you also could consider.  I love the rifle though I carry it all the time.

im not a big guy and i shoot .300wby and .375H&H, it has more to do with you upstairs than it does anywhere else. my dad is a lot smaller than i am and ive seen him shoot some serious kickers and not say a word, i shot them and complain the rest of the day...
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
onfinal View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onfinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 17:28
Thanks for all the input.

Left handed rifles of any caliber are pretty scarce in the immediate area so I'm going to take a serious second look at this .270 wsm tomorrow.  It's not exactly what I wanted but beats going to the big city or special order/internet purchase, so I'll probably man up and get it.  And a Limbsaver pad.

I appreciate all the info and encouragement.  Next hurdle is getting used to the price of .270 wsm ammo.
Gunshow75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunshow75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 17:52
I have a 270 WSM, which I like for it's flat trajectory.  IMO, a 270 WSM is a "magnum" in name only. 

A Tikka T3 Lite will weigh about 6 3/8 pounds.  With a scope and mounts, it will approach 7.5 pounds.  Even with 150 gr bullets at 3100 f/s MV, the recoil is less than 20 ft-lbs. 

Tom

trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 17:59
I'm a little guy, and found my .270 WSM recoil to be manageable even as a bench gun. The t3 lite, may be lighter, and kick a bit more, but I wouldn't shy away from the caliber, I loved mine.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 22:05
I absolutely love my tikka t-3's! I have a pair of them in 308 and they are a dream to shoot!! A friend of mine has one in 300wsm and its not THAT bad of a kicker... I think you will be fine with the 270wsm!
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
onfinal View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onfinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2010 at 22:01
I went to the store to buy the Tikka T3 Lite .270 WSM and they had received a left hand Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308, so now I have another decision to make.

Anyone care to compare and contrast these two rifles?  The Rem 700 is probably 2+ lbs. heavier and would run close to 10 lbs. with base, rings and scope.  But the ammo is much more widely available, more choices, cheaper.  I've never shot this gun (or the Tikka), but I'm guessing it would kick less than the Tikka due to weight.

I still like the looks of the Tikka.  Very light and elegant vs. the anvil feel of the Remington, but I'm buying a rifle to last for many years and be all-purpose.  If you could only have one of these, which one would it be?

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2010 at 00:00
Originally posted by onfinal onfinal wrote:

I went to the store to buy the Tikka T3 Lite .270 WSM and they had received a left hand Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308, so now I have another decision to make.

Anyone care to compare and contrast these two rifles?  The Rem 700 is probably 2+ lbs. heavier and would run close to 10 lbs. with base, rings and scope.  But the ammo is much more widely available, more choices, cheaper.  I've never shot this gun (or the Tikka), but I'm guessing it would kick less than the Tikka due to weight.

I still like the looks of the Tikka.  Very light and elegant vs. the anvil feel of the Remington, but I'm buying a rifle to last for many years and be all-purpose.  If you could only have one of these, which one would it be?

The Tikka lite is a light weight hunting rifle designed for most hunting situations while a varmint rifle is more of a specialized (and heavier) rifle designed for long range shooting (usually at little critters).

What are you planning on doing with this rifle?

Personally I wouldn't choose either of these rifles you listed but my needs and taste may differ from yours. 
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2010 at 08:57
Being a southpaw and loving the .308 I'd be all over the 700. But then again I only let .308s in my house. LOL
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2010 at 09:04
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

Being a southpaw and loving the .308 I'd be all over the 700. But then again I only let .308s in my house. LOL

Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic