OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Shooting varmints at night

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chem-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shooting varmints at night
    Posted: October/11/2010 at 20:37
All,

I have a coyote problem, that is creating a new scope opportunity!  My wife and I were woke this morning at 4 am by the howling so I have the green light (no pun intended) to upgrade equipment to get rid of the problem.
I need some input on either a new scope or possibly some sort of 'laser' illumination that coyotes won't be able to see at night.  I would like to reach out to 200 yards, and would probably put it on a .223 or .22-250.  Both have Nikon Monarch scopes on them.

All input is appreciated!

Sal

Breath, Relax, Aim, Stop, Squeeze...
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 00:20
Hi Sal- I recently tried out a Burris Tac 30 3-9x40, with illuminated reticle, for about $400, 80 moa range, that I really liked. I ended up sending it back, but that was because I had a great but expensive find right after buying the TAC30, and I could not justify keeping them all. I published my first impressions of it on this forum.

The "standard"  choice is a Trijcon Accupoint 3-9x40, for abt $700, illuminated by tritium, meaning you don't have to worry abt the battery running out. Imho, the glass is as good btw the two - but tritium is great. Be aware, however, that tritium degrades quickly (it's radioactive), and will decay to nothingness in 15 years, when you have to have the tritium replenished in your scope. It carries a good reputation. My primary problem with it: only 48 moa of range (I use canted bases, so it creates a pb for me when zeroing).

Edited by WestOfPecos - October/12/2010 at 00:21
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 06:20
A good illuminated reticle and a Lazer Genetics ND3 would be one method.  the other.  a  night vision rifle scope.....then you'd really have the edge on them
VYD View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VYD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 08:18

If you talk about up to 200 yards, illumination alone won't help you a bit. You need a NV scope. Since it's going to a low-recoiling rifle, you don't need a super tough/expensive one.

Edited by VYD - October/12/2010 at 12:08
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2010 at 08:36
Pulsar Digisight N550 Riflescope
Pulsar Digisight N550 Riflescope
Stock # - PL76311
  • Matte
  • Multiple Selectable Reticles (Customizable Reticles)
  • Digital
  • Night Vision
$1,399.95 
This would be the minimal NV scope I would get
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2010 at 20:21

Instead of night vision Id get a Foxpro call, a good flood light with a red lens and a scope you can "crosshair" a coyote with under the red light. Any good scope with thick crosshairs is fine. Leupold makes some with Heavy Duplex reticles. My preference is Trijicon Accupoint but I wouldnt spend that kind of money just for coyotes. Zeiss conquest with #20 reticle is a good one too. You wont need to make 200 yd shots. If you get up wind of them the Foxpro will get them in a lot closer than that. Good luck, coyote hunting is great fun.

prkrgrp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prkrgrp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 19:23
i love the new nikon varmint special, bdc ret has a light transmission ability that works great with low light conditions
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic