OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

mil reticules other than mil-dot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote space_weazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mil reticules other than mil-dot
    Posted: October/16/2010 at 19:32
Looking for ret's other than mil-dot, but that can still range, like trijicon's tmr that are offered on scope's under $1k

So what's out there?
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2010 at 21:22
Gerald Baker
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2010 at 21:26
may I ask why you do not like the mil dot.
Gerald Baker
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2010 at 22:16
No one
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2010 at 09:37
Any reticle with uniform markings (subtensions) will allow you to range. The math is easiest and adjustments fastest with a milliradian-based reticle and matching turrets. However, there aren't a lot of scopes under a grand that will have that combination. You might also consider an MOA-based reticle and turrets. Although beware that while two scopes might be marked 1/4 MOA, one manufacturer may have chosen true MOA (1.047"/100 yards) for the turrets while the other will have mismatched the turrets to the reticle slightly by using IPHY (inches/100 yards). That error will add up at longer distances.
Reaction time is a factor...
space_weazel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote space_weazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2010 at 22:34
I like Mil-dot just fine, I was settled on a SS 3-9 for my R700 .308 build but I have been waffling, I would like to get something that also has at least .5 mil marks if possible, The Vortex PST I really like but they are not currently available and according to the Vortex rep I spoke to the earliest possibility  of those arriving is next year, and I would like to shoot it sooner than that.

I also have been thinking about not getting target turrets and just actually using the reticule how it was intended with hold over's, at least this way I know that when I pick up the rifle it is still zeroed where I left it, say at 200 yards, and that it hasn't been bumped / played with / or set buy me at some forgotten range from a month ago.

These are just the thoughts that have been running through my head.
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2010 at 02:33
I'd just love to try the Vortex EBR-2 with .1 mil subtension units, and tree reticle, though it's more "cluttered" than it needs to be.
I have Darrell Holland's HUMR reticle now and it's perfectly suited to long-range shooting applications, IMO.
Steve
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2010 at 12:21

been using the ebr-2 in a Razor for most of the summer on several different long range guns (single turn guns, rather than single turn scopes) for around 2k rds .  It is an outstanding reticle and becoming my favorite. Several misconceptions about the Razor have seen to crop up on the net, the most being the picky eye postion. Compared to what is all I have to say. As a general comment its no worse than any other scope in this mag. range. On the lower powers the numbers disappear and the reticle is extremely fast on close targets, (500 yds) on 15x the numbers start to become more demanding on the shooters "field of attention" and ideal for "tactical" type shooting. On 20 the smaller dots snap into sharpness and  the larger reticles bars disappear leaving a mil based reticle that has only hashes and dots. Much smaller targets can be utilized by dialing in correction and just using one of the small dots. Much like a fine dot on a good long range target reticle. The scope can be used in holdover or dialed in with more refinement in holdoff than most scopes used in this area (assuming you don't won't to dial in the holdoff). The reticle acts like 3 different reticles based on your need.

I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2010 at 18:19
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

been using the ebr-2 in a Razor for most of the summer on several different long range guns (single turn guns, rather than single turn scopes) for around 2k rds .  It is an outstanding reticle and becoming my favorite. Several misconceptions about the Razor have seen to crop up on the net, the most being the picky eye postion. Compared to what is all I have to say. As a general comment its no worse than any other scope in this mag. range. On the lower powers the numbers disappear and the reticle is extremely fast on close targets, (500 yds) on 15x the numbers start to become more demanding on the shooters "field of attention" and ideal for "tactical" type shooting. On 20 the smaller dots snap into sharpness and  the larger reticles bars disappear leaving a mil based reticle that has only hashes and dots. Much smaller targets can be utilized by dialing in correction and just using one of the small dots. Much like a fine dot on a good long range target reticle. The scope can be used in holdover or dialed in with more refinement in holdoff than most scopes used in this area (assuming you don't won't to dial in the holdoff). The reticle acts like 3 different reticles based on your need.

Love that reticle. Might be looking into one in the PST line when it comes out. Wish the razors we in my price range lol.
Gerald Baker
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic