OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2010 at 07:30
The lead sled makes that much tougher for me. That's why I bypass it for all out group shooting.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2010 at 18:36
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i think consistency is the biggest issue for me, making sure im aiming in the same spot, that im positioned in the same manner as the shot before etc. i havent figured out a way to do that yet.

It's not as easy as it looks.  I use a Caldwell BR shooting rest with the rear bag designated for it.  It's pretty heavy and sturdy.  One of the nice features it has is I can use the rear leveling bolt to fine tune the elevation.

When I load test I "NEVER" aim for the dead center of the target.  It's always a little high (or low) left (or right).  This is done so I don't disrupt the aiming point.  Because I do this, I have to be ever present of scope cant.  To solve that, I align the scope with either the top or the side of the target board.  If its not perfect, so what.  I'm load testing, not sighting in.  Anyway this helps assure me  that my sight picture is consistent.  

I do all of my testing @ 200 yards.  Make sure, what ever you're using as a target is big enough to see and without fighting eye strain.

HTH,
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2010 at 21:14
i use a super small target spot and try to shoot on 3x to make the "aim small miss small" setup. it works some what.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2010 at 00:04
I use to do that.  I got tired of the eye strain.  Now-a-days, I use those 3" orange birchwood round target dots (with the black diamond in the center).  It's not perfect but it does the ok for me, although, on a bright day with some mirage something else would be better.  Actually, I believe black & white (squares) would be better.

Anyway, with the larger target it's easier on the eyes and (for me) it points out how well I'm I'm on target.  With a small target, I wouldn't be able to do that.

If I were to test @ 100 yds, I would probably drop down to a 2" target. 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2010 at 06:11
hmm i have a variety of sizes, i may have to try that next time, never looked at it that way but you are correct, the center diamond on my biggest target spot is smaller than my smallest target spot is.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2010 at 11:35
In these instances bigger is better.

Another thing in the technique DEPT (and it applies to all precision shooting) is; don't stare at the target to long which leads to forced shots.  Stay in position and just look away briefly and focus on something close by and then try again. 

Also, when your looking thru the scope stay focused on the cross hairs, vice the target.  IF it's open sights then stay focused on the front sight.

And last of all, make sure your breathing.  Holding your breath just fogs things up.  What I take a couple of breaths while looking thru the scope aligning everything up.  When I'm ready to shoot I inhale and slowly exhale while squeezing the trigger at the same time.

HTH
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2010 at 20:58
my breathing technique is pretty good, i just have trouble being steady and being consistent, sometimes i wish i had a high powered target scope for shooting my test loads that would make it a little easier for me.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2010 at 23:42
For load testing, it doesn't have to be one of the hi-dollar ones.  I use a Nikon 6-24x50 unless I already have the glass I want.  Naturally, its ideal to use the one thats going to be stay on the rifle but in the mean while a subsitute can do until you get the one you want. 

For target work I like a DOT but I don't think I would care for it for varmints or the like.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic