OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sightron SII Big Sky 3-9x42?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KP Texan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sightron SII Big Sky 3-9x42?
    Posted: October/26/2010 at 09:50
I've been reading a lot of great things about these scopes and I think it might be the right choice for me.  As far as pricing, I also understand they're offering a $75 rebate right now?  I was raised a Leupold fan (it's what my father always had) and though they are good scopes, I realized that you pay a good bit of money for that Gold ring.  The only other deer rifle I've hunted with is a Remington 700 BDL which has a Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x50mm which was originally purchased in 1976.  I always thought that was a decent scope but how would the optics on that old Vari-X II compare to the newer Sightron?  Also, this new scope will be going on top of a new Winchester Model 70 Sporter in .270.  Could you recommend a quality base and set of rings that won't be overly expensive?  I was originally very serious about getting a Zeiss Conquest but I decided that it was too expensive and then I was considering the Bushnell Elite 4200 but I didnt like the short eye relief.  The SII Big Sky just seems right due to the excellent optics, good price, good eye relief, and the fact that I can get it in gloss to match the rifle.  Anything else I need to be considering?

Thanks so much,

Wes
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 10:05
If youve already rulled out the Conquest then i will just recommend rings and bases.  In fact its a one piece ring and base combo, Talley lightweigh Alluminum rings.  Figure out what scope for sure and SWFA can help you with ring height.  I would think low's or med's will work.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 10:46
I believe you'll see a big image improvement going from the VXII to the Big Sky.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
KP Texan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KP Texan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 11:12
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

I believe you'll see a big image improvement going from the VXII to the Big Sky.

From what I've read, the old Vari-X II (this thing is from 1976) is about the equivalent of a VX-I right now?

Thanks,

Wes
JimFromTN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimFromTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2010 at 11:28

Comparing the Big Sky to the vari-xII is like comparing the VX3 to a VXI.  They are not in the same league.

jvr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2010 at 09:51
I have a 4200 2.5 x 10 x 50 and the big Sky 2 3.5x10 x 50.  (and a 4x14x40 vari x IIc)

The sightron is a long scope. noticeably longer than the 4200.  The sightron reticle is thiner than the 4200.  I like the turrents on the sightron better.  Glass is close to the same (I have the firefly on the 4200 and like it)

Positioned correctly for a good hold i do not find the 4200 or any of my scopes to short for the eye relief.

I like the 2.5 vs the 3 or 3.5 for hunting as you never know where that deer is going to appear.  I put the sightron on a 223 abolt and love it for shooting varmints.  4200 sits on a 243 ruger bolt for whitetail.  

I do not think you could go wrong with either.  These are just things I have noticed about the 2 scopes. 

They are both better than the vari X IIc (but I still have this scope on another rifle and like it).
KP Texan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KP Texan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 10:27
Well, I think I'm going to go ahead and get the Sightron.  I've heard many good things about it and it has generous eye relief, a great price, and comes in a gloss finish to match the nice polished bluing that will be on my new Winchester Model 70.  Does anyone have a link to a good tutorial on how to properly mount a scope?  I'm very mechanically inclined and pay a lot of attention to detail, but is this something you guys normally tackle on your own or do you go to a gunsmith?

Thanks so much,

Wes
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 10:30
you can do it yourself pretty easy.  I would get Talley Lightweight Alluminum rings when you get the scope.  The folks at SWFA can help you.  Heck not sure what part of Tx your in but if your close enough to SWFA they will mount it for you when you buy it.
KP Texan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KP Texan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 15:44
Okay, I'm going to be picking up my new Winchester model 70 Sporter this weekend.  My only issue is that the barrel will have gloss bluing and the scope will be the SII Big Sky 3-9x42 in gloss....but the Talley lightweight aluminum rings apparently only come in anodized finish.  Will this look bad with my gloss barrel and scope.  Also, which ring height would be best for this combo?  A guy at Talley told me low would work fine, but I was wondering if this was cutting it close with a 42mm objective.

Thanks,

Wes
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 16:10
You can get Warne rings and bases in gloss finish.  THey are just as good as Talley.  I have both and like both really well.  The Warnes will probably cost you a little more money, but at least you can get them in gloss to match your setup.  Matt would look kind of funny.

http://swfa.com/Warne-Maxima-Permanent-Attach-1-Rings-P9906.aspx
http://swfa.com/Winchester-C2370.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 16:11
Oh, and low will be just fine in either Talley or Warne
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

KP Texan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KP Texan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 16:40
Aww heck, I really wanted those Talley rings.  Now it looks like I'm gonna have to drop a bit more cash.
KP Texan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KP Texan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 16:47
I just read a review on the Warnes where someone was complaining that the gloss finish was a paint rather than blued and that they actually had to touch up their finish.  Would I better served by just buying the Talleys, masking off the clamping surfaces, and painting with a decent quality gloss spray paint?  Sounds kind of hack but if the Warnes are painted anyway, why not?

-Wes
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 16:48
Well at least it is only about $10 bucks instead of $50 or something.  Wink

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 16:49
Hmm, I have some gloss finish ones and mine has not done that.  Wonder if they just got a bad set.  I would definitely call Warne and double check with them though.  As that would suck if it all flaked off like that.  

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 16:52
Just one other option to give you.  http://swfa.com/Burris-Signature-Zee-1-Rings-C639.aspx

Those get great reviews as well.  They will just mount to a standard Weaver type base.  http://swfa.com/Winchester-C2019.aspx

Vermin93 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vermin93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 10:09
The option mentioned by st73 is a good one.  I used the Burris Signature Zee rings in gloss to mount my SII Big Sky 3-9x42 gloss scope.  The combination looks great and I really like the functionality of the Signature Zee rings.
KP Texan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KP Texan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 10:26
I was looking at those before and read some really good things about the Burris Zee Signature rings.  I think those are a good solution for me.  What bases did you use?  Are the listed Weaver brand bases good (they should be since they created the design) or are there better ones for the same price or a bit more?

Thanks so much,

Wes
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 10:28
I have used Weaver bases on guns for years and never had any problems.  They make decent affordable mounting hardware.

Vermin93 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vermin93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 21:18
I used gloss Warne Maxima bases with my gloss Signature Zee rings.  These are the ones you need for your new Model 70 in 270 WIN:

http://swfa.com/Warne-Maxima-2-Piece-Base-P9761.aspx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic