OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New 2011 Zen-Ray ED2 20-60x82mm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2010 at 16:51
OK. I'll try a new post.  Don't know it it is a problem with this site or my connection or both, but I'm having some problem today.  Tried to add this as an edit to the above post twice and was denied access both times.  Maybe the gods just don't like me today.

EDIT:
I have always found in any spotter of any price range that the optimum image quality remains up untill you get below a 2.0 mm exit pupil.  The quality of the scope seems to be the determining factor of whether or not the image begins to degrade either before or just past the 2.0mm mark.  The higher the quality the less the degradation.  This does show some dimmimg of the image upwards of 45x, or somewhat less than 2.0 mm EP.  The image remains very good until 60x, but the fall off is there.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2010 at 09:01
I have trouble with this site "going to sleep" for lack of a better word, and not responding.  I'm very anxious to hear your review of this  spotter, and what you have available to compare it to.  Looking forward to it.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2010 at 11:26
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

JGRaider,

If you are referring to my post, I was referring to the Razor HD.  I also do not think it is a rebadged Razor.  I would speculate it is a reverse-engineered copy with just enough differences thrown in to avoid trademark infringement.

I did not see where it is listed as made in China, although I would guess it is.  I am also interested to know if the objective is a true APO triplet, like the Razor, or a ED doublet, like the Chinese Celestron Regal ED series.

The real test will, of course, be performance.

Nice touch making it compatible with Swarovski Eyepieces. 

I thought I'd seen that eyepiece question someplace!

The eyepiece is a triplet with two of the three elements being ED glass.  That is one reason why the cost is over $1,000.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2010 at 15:49
Steve,

Can you explain what you meant about the eyepiece being a triplet?   
-Matt
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2010 at 17:31
Actually I meant the objective.  Sometimes I have some problem knowing one end from the other Smile.  Three elements in the objective, two are ED and the assembly is airspaced.
Steve

tompac View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tompac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 11:31
 Are you goiing to be able to do any side by side comparisons? 
castlebravo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castlebravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 17:59
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

OK. I'll try a new post.  Don't know it it is a problem with this site or my connection or both, but I'm having some problem today.  Tried to add this as an edit to the above post twice and was denied access both times.  Maybe the gods just don't like me today.

EDIT:
I have always found in any spotter of any price range that the optimum image quality remains up untill you get below a 2.0 mm exit pupil.  The quality of the scope seems to be the determining factor of whether or not the image begins to degrade either before or just past the 2.0mm mark.  The higher the quality the less the degradation.  This does show some dimmimg of the image upwards of 45x, or somewhat less than 2.0 mm EP.  The image remains very good until 60x, but the fall off is there.

Taking price out of the picture, how would you rate it vs the Razor?  Better, worse, or about the same?
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2010 at 12:23
OK, another multiple try at posting.  The site sure does not like my connection lately!

I have a Kowa TSN 883 20-60x88 ED scope on the way.  Found a friend with one where I never expected to find it.  I also have a newcomer in the Theron MAG 82 25-75x82 ED spotter on the way too.  This one came right out of the blue, and who am I to pass up an opportunity?  This has been seen under the Bosma and Avian labels.  There was a Swarovski at a dealer that I could have gotten a side by side at his store, but somebody wound up with it for Christmas.  I have one other option for another reputable and comparable scope, but that may not work out, so the Kowa may have to be the reference standard here. 

Now I have seen the Razor spotter.  But there will not be much of a way to get one for a side by side.  My impression is that the ZEN ED is easily the equal of the Razor.  That is going from memory ans some notes.  However, that is already too far out on the proverbial limb.
Steve

TDonaldson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TDonaldson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2010 at 10:51
Can you post some pictures of the scope and accessories? It would be helpful to see an actual picture of the scope.
spf2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2011 at 19:30

Any other eyepiece that is compatible with this spotting scope?

Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2011 at 15:56
Zen Ray will have a special adapter ready for the ZEN ED 2 scope on March 31.  This will allow for the use of standard 1.25" threaded eye pieces.  There is also a 30x WA in the works as well as a 25-50x WA zoom too, so pretty soon, lots of eye piece options.

They have posted several places about the availability date for the adapter.

Edited by Klamath - March/05/2011 at 15:57
Steve

spf2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2011 at 10:49
thanks a lot for the information. the 30x WA will be great
westernhunter23 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westernhunter23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2011 at 10:26

Hello All… as you can see I am new to this forum and glad to be a part of it.

I guess with that I will make some bold statements with my first post Big Smile

Obviously this product looks almost identical to the Razor HD (for me I can’t tell the difference from the pic).  This is somewhat frustrating and disappointing.   My opinion is Zen Ray is simple “piggy backing” off the Razor.  This isn’t showing me that they are trying to break new ground but, trying to specially market against the Razor by simply making a “copycat” spotter.  Zen Ray has basically taken the shell of the Razor and put their name on it.  I am sure the products are not the same or else Zen Ray would have some problems on their hands.  I am sure Vortex is looking at this closely as well.  Just disappointed that Zen Ray isn’t showing more uniqueness with their products. 

michaelnel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelnel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2014 at 07:05
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

Keep in mind the Vortex is made in Japan, the Zen in China.  Can't be the same plant.  

The Vortex Razor HD is made in China.  I verified this with Vortex.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic