OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What is your favorite hunting scope?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 10:09
Do  you feel like the reticle is a bit thin on the Swaro for use in low light?  

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Hatari View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 10:19
Swarovski 1.5-6 X 42mm PH
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 10:23
Maybe a bit, but the low light performance of the glass somewhat offsets the thinner reticle
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 10:32
Swaro/Kahles 1.5-6x42 with 4a reticle (have 5 of them on rifles/MLs...)
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 20:43
Zeiss 4.5-14x50 (Z-Plex reticle).  I have a couple of Swarovski's but they are on varmint rigs.  None the less, they're sharp and clear.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 21:31
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Swaro, the glass is incredibly clear and crisp and the image extends almost beyond the edges of the scope tube (which are only slightly visible in the site picture.)

It defies thorough explanation, you just gotta see it to believe it.

I own and love Zeiss Diavari too, but the Swaro sight picture is just about perfect: clarity edge-to-edge and great low light performance.  The Diavari has a better water-shedding coating, better for messy weather, but the sight picture through the Zeiss isn't "as perfect" or as forgiving of head position.

My Swaros are on my lightest weight guns and, as relatively compact and relatively light weight, they work exceptionally well in sporter weight or mountain/woods guns.

Very nicely said RC!!! Thunbs Up

Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Do  you feel like the reticle is a bit thin on the Swaro for use in low light?  

Wes, it depends on which Swaro reticle your using. The 7a and 4a are perfect for this and the reticle is not too thin or too bold. I have a little hunting experience with the Swaro 4a Wink and I really like it. I've also used their plex as well; it's more like a Leupold fine duplex reticle but surprisingly I've found it can be used in a lot of low light situations (out west).

Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Maybe a bit, but the low light performance of the glass somewhat offsets the thinner reticle

RC, I forget which Swaro reticle you have, the BR?

Edited by mike650 - October/30/2010 at 08:39
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
crawdad View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crawdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 21:43
My favorite would be Swarovski z6i 2.5x15x56 BT this is the clearest scope I have ever owned i have 2 I also own Leopold and, zeiss scopes none as clear as the new swarovski though.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 21:58
Swarovski AV 3-10 . ,,,but for value - 4200's are hard to beat

Edited by martin3175 - November/02/2010 at 22:09
Wbypoor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wbypoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2010 at 01:58

The best scope I've ever used is the Zeiss Victory 2.5-10x42 with a #4 reticle.  I was tempted by the Z6 but the too thin reticle put me off of it.  I'm looking for another Victory now for a little 240 Weatherby. 

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 09:24
Kahles CL 3-10x50 4a reticle and multizero for my 308 for deer hunting

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

saitotiktmdog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 09:36

Is it sad that the best scope i have looked through is the vortex viper that I currently have. My sightron is nice too though. Have not taken them hunting. As I cant hunt with my 06 in indiana and thats what the viper sits on I guess it will eventually have to be the sightron as it sits on an ultra slug hunter.

savage 110 viper-stolen
savage 93r17 crossfire 6-20x50 stolen
NEF single shot 12ga-recovered
stevens ranger 12ga double barrels-stolen
Win 1400 shotgun
Ultra slug hunter sightron 3-9x44-recovered
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 10:51

For me, it's a 3-way tie between a Kahles 2-7X36 CL, a Swaro Z6i 1.7-10X42, and a S&B 1.5-6X42 Zenith Flashdot.

The Kahles is so nice and compact yet optically superb.

The Z6i is superb in all respects, has incredible versatility, and has the best illumination system I've ever seen.

I love the view through the Zenith, and love the combination of the #9 circle dot reticle and Flashdot illumination. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 11:31
I love my Kahles 6x, but had a Swaro 6x that was really nice too... too good for me, I got rid of it, along with a S&B 4x.  My Diavari 2.5-10 is probably the best hunting glass I have right now.  The glass on my Springfield Armory/Hakko 6-24x56 is very good, as well.  I don't know hard to "pick one".  Zeiss Diavari is the "cleanest", I guess.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 11:44
I have one of these coming:
S&B 1.5-6X42 Zenith Flashdot
I requested the #9

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 12:16
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

I have one of these coming:
S&B 1.5-6X42 Zenith Flashdot
I requested the #9

I have that exact scope, same reticle and all.  I think you will like it.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 12:53
I really liked the #9 reticle.  Very 'fast', and S&B is top of the line.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 16:32
Conquest 3.5-10x50 with a #4 ret.,but I Think it might be replaced with a Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 brx ret I just purchased but haven,t hunted with it yet!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
mpk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 21:22
Its probably between a Kahles CL 2-7x36 and a Zeiss 4.5-14x44 Conquest for me. But I got a nice mule deer buck last weekend with my Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40. I'm starting to like the scope more and more, it was on my .260 and I wanted to use that gun for hunting elk north of Yellowstone. I really like the custom CDS turret. Its low profile, with positive clicks, and very accurate out to 400 yds for the ballistic data I gave Leupold. For a hunting scope its very versatile as far as range goes. But its still compact, with better optics than I expected.
mpk
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 21:34
My favorite hunting scope...............that's an easy one...

mpk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 22:07
mpk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic