OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex or Sightron

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xHonza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex or Sightron
    Posted: November/09/2010 at 02:40
Dear all, recently I solve issue with choice of riflescope. I will use it partialy at the shoting range, partialy for fox hunt - distances up to 400m. Cliber 223Rem. This hunt will be performed also at dusk, or down, so I definetly need large objective diameter (50 or 56 mm + paralax adjustment, here I prefere side one). I do not want to spend too much money for such riflescope max. 900 USD. Therefore from my preliminary choice I have two favorites:

Sightron SIII 8-32x56 with Mildot recticle

or

Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 wit EBR-1 mil recticle.

Both riflescopes should be mechanicaly perfect. But according what I know Sightron is not 100% perfect, conc. its antireflection coatings - in dusk they tend to be blinded by orange haze. With Vortex I have no personal experience. Could you please comment, which from those two riflescopes you find most propriet for the purpose I mentined?

If you have some other ideas, conc. other models, suitable for my purpose, don´t  hesitate to mention it.
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 08:56
xHonza- the Viper PST is not available right now - they are still dealing with production quality issues. They may not be out for a while. So, if your hunt is soon, you are down to the Sightron.

I don't have a SIII 8-32x56, but I have a SII Big Sky 24x, which is the level below. I am very pleased with the performance at the range. I do not see any undue flare when the sun rays are horizontal (any more than I see in Leupold VX3 or a Kahles CL). Maybe a particular phenomenon for the SIII 8x32?

Edited by WestOfPecos - November/09/2010 at 08:57
xHonza View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xHonza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2010 at 06:52
To West of Pecos: Thank you for your post, I had no idea, that Vortex PST is still not at the market. To be honest, I´m little bit shocked Shocked

Is possible that the problem with flare I heard about, is just related to this one particular model. On the other hand this friend of mine, who told me this information, is comparing this SIII model with his other riflescopes, which are Zeiss Victory Diavary 6-24x56  and Meopta 4-16x44 Tactics- both very well known for very high quality optics. Also this is very hard to beat... I will try to get an idea and take a look to that model at the range with this friend of mine and we will see.

Only thing I consider now, is if for me SIII 6,5-24x50 can do the same job as his bigger brother ...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic