OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.22 rim fire scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .22 rim fire scopes
    Posted: November/10/2010 at 20:45
If choosing between these three which would perform best.
Bushnell .22 rimfire 3-9s32mm
Simmons 022 mag 3-9x32 w/ or w/o A.O. feature
Alpen Kodiac 3-9x32mm 
Alpen Kodiac 4-12x40   w/ A.O.

Or a brand you prefer for the .22 bolt action rifles

Thanks
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2010 at 20:46
whats your price range?
starman1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2010 at 20:56
$75 or less
Most Alpens are more
I wanted the Bushnell 3-9x32 .22 rimfire, but everyone is sold out.  Most reviews are good to excellent.  It will be 30 days before they're available again.
I've looked though the Simmons 3-9x32 seemed okay and they're available.  I believe the This Simmons is considered less quality than the Bushnell even though Bushnell makes it.  Just their lower line just above the Tasco.
Do you have any experience with either of these?

Thanks
demo_slug View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demo_slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2010 at 01:13
I have the Bushnell 3-9x32 .22 rimfire scope. it works. it comes with rings. but I didn't use them. its worth the $29 I paid. 

very cheap scope. ugly. it works fine to 50 yards. its usable at 100. but I'm looking to replace it. the girl friend hates it, and has a lot of problems getting the eye placement correct. and it gets worse on overcast days.

a friend left his 22marlin at my place and it has a Bushnell banner 4x12 with AO. and it is a huge improvement, but $100 seems kinda steep to me.. I think AO is important on a 22LR. you can set it for 50 yards for 90% of the time then set it out to 100 for longer shots. 
Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2010 at 11:31
I have the Simmons .22Mag 4x, my dad has the 3-9x. His came with a canted crosshair,and is basically useless.
Mine tracks ok and holds zero,but has terrible coatings and bad spherical distortion around the outer 1/2 of the field of vision. It looks like someone rubbed vaseline around the edges of the lenses. The center is ok though. It's a workable optic,but not great.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2010 at 12:03
I like the Weaver and mine has held up well.
Weaver 2.5-7x28 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope Dual-X Weaver 2.5-7x28 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope
Stock # - 849431
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
$139.95
Sometimes its better to spend a little more for something that will last you a lifetime. This scope is a good match for a 22 the size is not bulky the power range is correct and its a time tested proven scope.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 21:45
+1 on the Weavers but those are over budget. The cheap Bushnell 3-9 rimfire isn't a bad plinking scope. Not close to the same quality of the Weaver rimfire scopes but better than most of the $50 stuff.

Edited by sholling - December/02/2010 at 21:46
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 21:55
In that price range look for a burris rimfire...I have 2 of them and have had excellent results with them
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2010 at 14:11

The weaver is a very good choice and if you can stretch your budget I'd get it.

If times are tight, you could do a lot worse than one of these.

http://swfa.com/Konus-2-7x32-Konuspro-Rimfire-Scope-P47366.aspx

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
robbie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2010 at 00:22
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I like the Weaver and mine has held up well.
Weaver 2.5-7x28 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope Dual-X Weaver 2.5-7x28 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope
Stock # - 849431
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
$139.95
Sometimes its better to spend a little more for something that will last you a lifetime. This scope is a good match for a 22 the size is not bulky the power range is correct and its a time tested proven scope.
I know these are out of price range for the OP, but I am in the market too.  How about the Vortex Viper 2-7X32?  How would you compare it to the Weaver?
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2010 at 19:55
Originally posted by robbie robbie wrote:

I know these are out of price range for the OP, but I am in the market too.  How about the Vortex Viper 2-7X32?  How would you compare it to the Weaver?

The 2-7x32 Viper is a little jewel. I have two and just bought a third one. It is significantly better than the Weaver as far as glass is concerned. But the Weaver is parallax adjusted for 50 yards, while the Viper is parallax adjusted for 100 yards. If you are using it on the 22LR, the parallax adjustment is better on the Weaver.

Btw, the Weaver is much better than the Simmons, BSA, etc. (although I don't have experience with Alpen scopes, their high end bino models are good). The Weaver is a real classic. I know the OP asked for $75 max. If there was any way for him to stretch his max range, the Weaver be really be a better choice.

For under $75, I would advise a used Nikon Prostaff 4x32 Rimfire, which is way better than its price of $100 new. I recently bought one used for $50, and saw several for about $75. The warranty is forever and transferable, and the customer service is excellent. In fact, as far as glass is concerned, I slightly prefer it to the Weaver.

Edited by WestOfPecos - December/05/2010 at 19:59
robbie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2010 at 20:05
Originally posted by WestOfPecos WestOfPecos wrote:

The 2-7x32 Viper is a little jewel. I have two and just bought a third one. It is significantly better than the Weaver as far as glass is concerned. But the Weaver is parallax adjusted for 50 yards, while the Viper is parallax adjusted for 100 yards. If you are using it on the 22LR, the parallax adjustment is better on the Weaver.

Btw, the Weaver is much better than the Simmons, BSA, etc. (although I don't have experience with Alpen scopes, their high end bino models are good). The Weaver is a real classic. I know the OP asked for $75 max. If there was any way for him to stretch his max range, the Weaver be really be a better choice.

For under $75, I would advise a used Nikon Prostaff 4x32 Rimfire, which is way better than its price of $100 new. I recently bought one used for $50, and saw several for about $75. The warranty is forever and transferable, and the customer service is excellent. In fact, as far as glass is concerned, I slightly prefer it to the Weaver.
Thanks for the response.
Yes, I'm looking at putting it on a .22Mag Lever Rifle.
What is the real world difference in the parallax difference?
Does that just mean groups will suffer by 1/4 in or so? or will there be a real "problem?"
Thanks
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2010 at 20:57

Yes, I'm looking at putting it on a .22Mag Lever Rifle.
What is the real world difference in the parallax difference?
Does that just mean groups will suffer by 1/4 in or so? or will there be a real "problem?"

The formula for parallax error is:
PARALLAX ERROR = 0.5*Scope Diameter*(target distance - focus distance)/(focus distance)

If your objective is 32mm, your focus distance is 100 yards (set at factory), and your target distance is 50 yards (rimfire shooting range), then your parallax error could be up to 0.5*32mm*50/100= 8mm = abt 1/3." Hope this makes sense:-)
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2010 at 21:00
Here is a used Weaver for $100.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2010 at 08:22
The fact that your putting on a 22 mag means parallax isn't a problem, and on a lever gun, the combination isn't precise enough to see the difference.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2010 at 09:10
Also, parallax error is eliminated if you have your eye centered perfectly behind the ocular.  I have used several 100 yard parallax adjusted scopes on rimfire guns without a problem.
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic