OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

How many lenses in a rifle scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave-G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How many lenses in a rifle scope?
    Posted: November/20/2010 at 19:45
Could some kind soul please advise me how many lenses there are in:

Fixed mag rifle scopes

Vari mag rifle scopes

Just the simple answer please as the other place I asked this derailed into so many other scope aspects, lens qualities, sizes, coatings etc but did not answer the actual question I asked.

Thank, Dave.

eurolynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eurolynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2010 at 20:02
Ya know Dave, I want to say there eight in a variable.....I think.

For a time, a lot of the manufacturers would have an illustrated diagram, of the inside of a scope showing and explaining about  the lenses you are asking. 

But wouldn't ya know, I can't find a single one in my pile of useless stuff I will never throw away.

Sorry.
"Guns aren't toys! They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
Dave-G View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave-G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2010 at 20:07
Thanks for the educated sounding Guess dude. Yup a diagram of each type would be good.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2010 at 20:34
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2010 at 21:23
Vixen Optics says that in their 3-12X, there are 10 lenses in 6 groups. In their 4-16 there are 11 lenses in 7 groups. The difference is probably PA.

Old info from Leupold:

The number of lenses in a Leupold scope varies by model. The VX I or VX II scopes have between 6 and 8 lenses. Most Vari X III scopes have between 7 and 8 lenses. The Long Range Vari X III models have 9 lenses. Most M8 fixed magnification scopes have 5 lenses. The Competition scopes have 7 lenses.

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2010 at 23:31
I looked at my scope and can only see two...the objective lens and the ocular lens Bucky
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2010 at 06:48
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

I looked at my scope and can only see two...the objective lens and the ocular lens Bucky

Yes.....you probably only have two.  Next, you will be telling us that your steering wheel is over on the right side of your vehicle and that it is getting to be Springtime......

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
eurolynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eurolynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2010 at 19:23

"Guns aren't toys! They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
Dave-G View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave-G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2010 at 02:25
Yippee Thanks for all the help guys - sorted. Excellent
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic