OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

shots out to 400 yards

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleymaddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shots out to 400 yards
    Posted: November/27/2010 at 22:28
On shots at deer out to 400 yards, what is your opinion, and experience with using some sort of ballistic reticle or not.  I figured you could zero the rifle at 200 and be okay, but you'd still have some hold over at 400.  And what if your a bit nervous and or out of breath and your cross hairs are not 100% steady - would it be easier to try and use a hold over dot / ballistic reticle or regular cross hairs.  Personally, I think the ballistic reticle would be the best under ideal situations, but what about real experiences?  Is the ballistic reticle advantageous on shots from 100-400 yards in hunting situations?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2010 at 23:30
You really need some kind of reference to make consistent shots like that.  Kentucky windage will never be consistent.

Dialing in or a hold over reticle is really the best way to get good hits once you are past your point blank range.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Rich Coyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Blind as a bat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Coyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2010 at 23:34
Originally posted by muleymaddness muleymaddness wrote:

and experience -400 yards in hunting situations?

400 is a long way for the vast majority of hunters.  Too far.  You need lots of practice and learn to dial the elevation for distance.
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2010 at 23:53
I think if you put your time in, and learn your equipment, they work great. I use a rapid- z800 for targets out to 800 yards, then limit myself to 500 on game. But you can't just buy a ballistic reticle, and think you can shoot 400 yards either. You'll have to practice at the ranges you intend to shoot.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2010 at 01:20

On shots at deer out to 400 yards, what is your opinion, and experience with using some sort of ballistic reticle or not.  I figured you could zero the rifle at 200 and be okay, but you'd still have some hold over at 400.  And what if your a bit nervous and or out of breath and your cross hairs are not 100% steady - would it be easier to try and use a hold over dot / ballistic reticle or regular cross hairs.  Personally, I think the ballistic reticle would be the best under ideal situations, but what about real experiences?  Is the ballistic reticle advantageous on shots from 100-400 yards in hunting situations?

MM,
What cartridge and load are you using?

My early LR hunting was all done with ballistic reticle (Burris Ballistic Plex).
Now, I either dial or use a MOA reticle (Holland's ART or Vortex's MOA reticle).
I do have a couple of scopes with MIL reticles, but prefer the MOA over MILs.

I prefer using the MOA reticles over dialing as it keeps you from rotational errors that are common to dialing.
You can and will make mistakes using reticles as well, but the one I use the most has the MOA internally listed (etched glass reticle) every 3 MOA.
The point is you need to be using it enough in field conditions to get used to it and make some of the mistakes while practicing, instead of taking a new system into the field hunting.

After load development, chronographing, zeroing, I confirm the drops to make sure they match Exbal. 
This needs to be done from field positions. 
In fact, once you get your load developed/chronoed and your scope zeroed, you should stay off of the bench and do your practicing from field positions.
Get a wind meter, and practice in nasty wind conditions.
I typically shoot prone with a Harris BR bi-pod (swivel with pod-lok that has notched legs).
If I need more height, I shoot over my pack.  if, even more, I pull out my shooting sticks.
If, I know I am going to be in high cover, I can bring a tri-pod and use "The Claw."
My point is, that you need to be real steady to ensure good shot placement.

Once you learn your system (whatever it is), then up your game by getting your heart rate up (135-150), and then set-up and see how accurate you are.  Put your self under some time pressure for a quick shot and notice how quickly accuracy changes.
In other words, learn your limitations. 
You may surprise yourself and do better than you think or you may be humbled by your shooting.
You max distance under ideal conditions may be shorter or further than 400 yards.
Regardless of the outcome, you will have starting point to build from.

The past two hunting seasons I have taken big game at 420 yards, 496 yards, 600 yards, and 1037 yards.  The 420 and 1037 were antelope, and the other two distances were Muley bucks.
I dialed for two of them and used the Holland's ART reticle for the other two.
7mm WSM, 6.5-284, and 6.5 Leopard (WSM) were the cartridges I used. 
Bullets were Berger and A-Max.  Optics was Leupold and NF.
I am lucky since I live close to a private range that has steel every 100 yards from 200-1200 yards.
Confirming and reconfirming my drops in different conditions will give you a lot of confidence and sometimes humility when practicing.
Ernie
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2010 at 07:51
SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope
Mil-Dot SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
muleymaddness View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleymaddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2010 at 08:36
Thanks for the tips so far.  There are some good comments made.  I agree with the practice and it is no intention of mine to not do so, it's only fair to the game.   To add, I currently have a ballistic style reticle that I've practiced from quite a bit.  What made me start thinking is the last time I was practicing.  I'm great out to 400+ yards shooting prone laying down over a backpack.   But yesterday, I was shooting off sticks at 200 and my cross hairs bounced around pretty good.  So good that it wouldn't have made a difference if I was using line 2 or line 4, the scope was moving too much.  That's when I asked the question, are these reticles going to be useful in hunting conditions.  I guess the answer would be yes, as long as I can get prone over a backpack.  Otherwise (off of sticks), no, for me, they wouldn't any my effective range would be much less than the reticles are good for. 

Where I hunt, and where I plan to hunt again, majority of shots are going to be off sticks.  The sage brush is just too high to get prone in most places.  So as I type this, I think I've come to the conclusion - I need to practice off sticks and sticks only! 
SouthernStar View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthernStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2010 at 09:11
A leupold VX-3 wit hCDS is easy, zero rifle, tell leupold about bullet and velocity, they send you a dial, turn the dial to "4" and aim dead on
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2010 at 09:45
the bigger problem is what is the distance?? Its a two edge sword-- the more exact your method of shot placement -- the more the exact distance must be known. When talking about shooting 500 yds plus, the conversation usually assumes a whole bunch of stuff about each of the readers/shooters ability, equipment up to the task etc. It just ain't so. Bullet drop is nothing, hold off is everything.
Shooting off sticks is just below using a sling. In both cases the wind will affect you more than the bullet. Best to use the brush to get as close as you can.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2010 at 10:14
Either walk 50-100 yards closer so you can use a simple scope with a max. PBR zero. (Much cheaper, less worry about wind). Or be prepared to cast aside all this BDC BS and make the investment in time, money and equipment to become capable of making long distance shots. I enjoy pursuing the latter (most of the time) but it's a commitment. (And half of us pursuing it should be committed).
Reaction time is a factor...
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2010 at 11:16

I figured you could zero the rifle at 200 and be okay, but you'd still have some hold over at 400.

With that statement alone, I recommend against any shot over 200 yards.

Never take a shot on game at a range for which you do not have a reliable and real-world zero.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
muleymaddness View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleymaddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2010 at 11:19
Rancid Coolaid - I think you took my comment incorrectly.  What I meant was, you could zero the scope at 200 and the drop wouldn't be too bad at 300.  400 and you'd be having a hold over over the animal.  Apparently you didn't read all the posts where I said that I did practice, and do know what my bullet does out to 400.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2010 at 11:54
RC is just saying that the probability of a good hit increases exponentially with distance and not linearaly.
edit to say decreases-- still working off the Scotch.

Edited by Dale Clifford - November/28/2010 at 16:34
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2010 at 12:46
Here is the Claw I spoke about:
This is a rest system that allows you to be accurate at distance and not be prone.
http://www.thegunclaw.com/how.html
I have used this in a tactical match and on rocks at distance.
http://www.thegunclaw.com/how.html
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic