OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

top of the line all around variable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthernStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: top of the line all around variable
    Posted: November/28/2010 at 09:16
I am trying to decide if i want a vx-3, Z6, summit, or new leica....

i prefer 2nd focal plane reticles. I really think the vx-3 is great for the money and the CDS seems "easy." 

I have the coin t ospend more but not sure if the other 3 give me that much more....

looking i nthe 2.5-10x40 range
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2010 at 09:29
Originally posted by SouthernStar SouthernStar wrote:

I am trying to decide if i want a vx-3, Z6, summit, or new leica....

i prefer 2nd focal plane reticles. I really think the vx-3 is great for the money and the CDS seems "easy." 

I have the coin t ospend more but not sure if the other 3 give me that much more....

looking i nthe 2.5-10x40 range

If hunting in low light conditions is important to you, yes, the z6 and Lecia scopes give your more.

Now if you don't have the money there are other selections available as well... what's your budget?
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2010 at 09:33
You are going to get all kinds of words on this one. As soon as I've shot a much big game with my Z6 as I have with leos, I'll let you know. But the reality is, most products improve with time. If you use the more expensive scope all year around maybe the extra bucks are worth it. I used a z6 on an ar10 for about a year to see if it would hold up, really check it out, and get a "little more money out of it".  If I only used once it or twice a year on a hunt----maybe not. There also a post here about are expensive scopes worth it-- check back about 3 days
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2010 at 09:57
If you are considering Alpha type glass, the Leica promo is very attractive.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2010 at 12:06
One more question... what's important to you in a hunting scope, what are you looking for... only BR?

Besides low light conditions and price there are may be other things to consider like FOV, weight, features, etc.

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
SouthernStar View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthernStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2010 at 15:03
eye relief, durability, reliability, optics, prefer 1" to 30mm all else equal
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2010 at 16:39
Originally posted by SouthernStar SouthernStar wrote:

eye relief, durability, reliability, optics, prefer 1" to 30mm all else equal

... and your budget?
Smileydawg1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smileydawg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2010 at 17:34

He said he has the coin to spend. If I had the money I would go with the Swarovski Z6 or Z5 in the variable power you want. With a Z6 you get 2-12x that’s huge range. Check out a Z5 with the Ballistic turret. It is just likes Kahles Multizero feature which doesn’t get the credit it deserves. It is a great system it is why Swarovski bought Kahles. Good luck with your search.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2010 at 17:41
S&B Summit if the money is flowing freely
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2010 at 17:49
The Leo w/ cds is pretty easy.  A friend used it this season with success.  The Swaro Ballistic Turret is a similar design, and almost as easy.

The Swaro and Leica will beat the Leo in almost every optical aspect.  The Leo is certainly a capable daylight optic, however.

Whether the extra cost is worth it is a very personal decision.
-Matt
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2010 at 18:20
Originally posted by Smileydawg1 Smileydawg1 wrote:

He said he has the coin to spend.

Thanks, I missed it.

I agree with Roy if you have money to burn and want a 1" tube look at the S&B Summit.

If you can throttle back on "the coin" take a peak at the Zeiss Conquest (1" tube), you can get it in their version of a BR reticle which is very nice.

If a 30mm tube is acceptable and money is no issue...   Big Smile

Edited by mike650 - November/28/2010 at 20:16
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2010 at 08:01
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

The Leo w/ cds is pretty easy.  A friend used it this season with success.  The Swaro Ballistic Turret is a similar design, and almost as easy.

The Swaro and Leica will beat the Leo in almost every optical aspect.  The Leo is certainly a capable daylight optic, however.

Whether the extra cost is worth it is a very personal decision.
the custom dial system has open turrets a lot of hunters don't like, and is really no different than marking your already calibrated elevation turret with a marker and leaving the lid (turret cover off). At least you can do the adjustment in real time at the range while the cds one can hope that your load matches the dial. The swaro system is completely different having multiple strike points with lock built into the turrets that can be reset for any load in real time. (at the range), not built especially well, and no where close to a good tactical scope's turret. None of them work if the ambient light from your shooting position isn't high enough to see the numbers. (early morning etc.certain types of eye problems etc). while a hold over reticle is usually visible if the main reticle is.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2010 at 08:15
You can send your specific load data to Leupold and they will make a custom CDS dial for your specific load, similar to Kenton Industries' calibrated turret caps.  You can then verify in field conditions the drops match your CDS dial prior to hunting.  When you put in the work, it can be quite precise.

I prefer to use tactical knobs and ballistic charts when I need to adjust elevation in the field.  I have also had good field experiences with the Zeiss Rapid-Z ballistic reticles when they are "tuned" correctly.

A nice feature of the CDS is they are lower profile than most dedicated tactical knobs, and easier to get into a scabbard or Eberlestock backpack, etc.  You could also get a CDS-style cover just marked with MOA and use it like a mini tactical turret.
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic