OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Savage Model 16 or Tikka T3 Lite Stainless

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbissell07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Savage Model 16 or Tikka T3 Lite Stainless
    Posted: December/05/2010 at 18:36
im thinking about selling my savage Model 16 and purchasing a Tikka T3 lite stainless. What do you think? I dont have any problems with my savage but ive heard so many good things about the Tikkas.
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2010 at 19:42
Does your Model 16 have accutrigger/ accustock? If it does, I think you will not gain anything with the Tikka - you might actually lose something, depending upon the luck of the draw, unless, of course, your model 16 is subpar. Ther accutrigger is. imho, a better trigger than what the Tikka has.

Both the Savage and the Tikka have excellent accuracy out of the box, neither of them are "well finished" in terms of pride of ownership.
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2010 at 19:54
IMHO, I've never owned a Savage that felt "just right" in my hands. While the Savage is as well made as any, my vote would be for the TIKKA. Accurate, and it's ergonomics is right for me.
 In my area of the country, a Savage will lose a good deal of it's value. A Tikka will usually hold and maybe gain in it's resale value. 
 You need to handl/fire one before making a change,however.
 How 'bout just keeping the Sav, and getting the Tikka anyway?

Edited by HuntMaster - December/05/2010 at 19:56
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2010 at 20:30
If your looking to trade and get rid of the savage, I am guessing it may not be a real great rifle. With all rifles it is a little of luck of the draw on accuracy. I love my savage and would never part with it even for a custom. I doubt I will find anything that will shoot better in my hands lol. I will say this, I hate my stock and one day I will get off my but and get a replacement for it. If your not giving up a wonderful rifle that you can't part with, then go for it. You might just find something better. If not you, can always trade later. 

From what I hear, they are good rifles.
Gerald Baker
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2010 at 21:22
Is there a reason you want to trade Savage to Tikka both are good rifles. I have both. Are you planning to stay with the same caliber.  Are you planning to change to get a more weather resistant finish or a different weight rifle or what is the reasoning.  If the rifle you have now works really well I could see keeping it and buying a Tikka in a different caliber but if the rifle you have now for some reason leaves you thinking you should change what is the reason?

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - December/05/2010 at 21:23

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2010 at 10:43
Keep the Savage and add the Tikka, no rule against owning both.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
270XBolt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 270XBolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 11:42
I never could get used to the accu-trigger on my Savage 16 and the stock was very weak in the fore end.  I wound up selling it, however it was a good shooter.  I then picked up a Tikka T3.  For me the Tikka T3 has a better trigger and a much stiffer stock.   
Cbissell07 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbissell07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 16:17
Well the model 16 is in a 300 WSM, which is complete over kill that ive learned over the past year of ownership. The reason that i bought it in the first place is because it was a steal ($300). I would love to own them both but thats not an option financially.
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 16:55
Chris,  according to your post it is not the gun but the caliber.  Given that I am going to assume it fits you well and it is accurate, at least enough that it does not frustrate you.  You said that the 300 wsm is over kill.  Is it ruining too much meat?  If so, have you tried different bullets to get different expansion characteristics?  If the gun fits and is accurate, hate to see you send it down the river and get something less in return.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Cbissell07 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbissell07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 17:08

there is some loss of meat, and another thing is that the ammo is just so expensive to shoot. And the prices are only going up. And if not a Tikka what other rifle in the $600 range would you suggest.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 20:03
I have no problem with the Tikka I have bought three of them in the last year and they are all awesome shooters. I think what you are confusing us on is that you are wanting not only a different rifle but one that is not the expensive 300 WSM. From what you say I take it you dont reload because I do and I love my 300 WSM Tikka as I can load if from a charge like a 30-06 to a charge like a 300 Win Mag so it works for my purpose.  I also have other caliber rifles and if you want one that does not cost as much money to shoot the old traditional calibers .243,  .308, 30-06  all have ammo that can be bought for under $20 a box where most 300 WSM factory stuff is more than double that. Since you are East Coast I will guess that you dont really have to worry about large bears in which case I think you would be just fine with a .243 in a Tikka stainless composite. I would probably put one of the 2-7 Vortex Viper BDC scopes on it while they are on sale I have one on my .243 and it s a winner try the Winchester Power Max 100 gr hpt ammo it works well for me.  

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 20:16
My brother, coyote95, has one in .243 and likes it a lot. Here are some pics and comments. http://opticstalk.com/scope-for-tikka-t3-lite-243_topic23006_page2.html

Edited by tahqua - December/07/2010 at 20:19
Doug
270XBolt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 270XBolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 21:12
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I have no problem with the Tikka I have bought three of them in the last year and they are all awesome shooters. I think what you are confusing us on is that you are wanting not only a different rifle but one that is not the expensive 300 WSM. From what you say I take it you dont reload because I do and I love my 300 WSM Tikka as I can load if from a charge like a 30-06 to a charge like a 300 Win Mag so it works for my purpose.  I also have other caliber rifles and if you want one that does not cost as much money to shoot the old traditional calibers .243,  .308, 30-06  all have ammo that can be bought for under $20 a box where most 300 WSM factory stuff is more than double that. Since you are East Coast I will guess that you dont really have to worry about large bears in which case I think you would be just fine with a .243 in a Tikka stainless composite. I would probably put one of the 2-7 Vortex Viper BDC scopes on it while they are on sale I have one on my .243 and it s a winner try the Winchester Power Max 100 gr hpt ammo it works well for me.  

How's the recoil on the T3 in 300 WSM?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 21:30
Originally posted by 270XBolt 270XBolt wrote:

Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

How's the recoil on the T3 in 300 WSM?

fierce, my .300wsm was in a browning composite stalker, it weighed 6.6lbs and kicked like a mule. i got rid of it. my .300wby kicks less than that wsm did.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2010 at 05:43

Keep the Savage just change the barrel-hence the caliber.It is a switch barrel gun, barrel swap takes all of 30 minutes(first time) and use what ever caliber you want.(Becareful it gets addicting)
 Pre fit barrels are made by almost every barrel maker out there and start in price at about $150, the barrel nut wrench is another $30.There are different mods. to fix the factory stock.
 Go to www.savageshooters.com  and you will find pages of info on what you can do,and for a modest $12 membership you can look up anything you want to know plus put the barrel in the classifieds and recoup some of your money.
froggy
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2010 at 07:22
Originally posted by rjtfroggy rjtfroggy wrote:

Keep the Savage just change the barrel-hence the caliber.It is a switch barrel gun, barrel swap takes all of 30 minutes(first time) and use what ever caliber you want.(Becareful it gets addicting)
 Pre fit barrels are made by almost every barrel maker out there and start in price at about $150, the barrel nut wrench is another $30.There are different mods. to fix the factory stock.
 Go to www.savageshooters.com  and you will find pages of info on what you can do,and for a modest $12 membership you can look up anything you want to know plus put the barrel in the classifieds and recoup some of your money.

+1
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic