OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris Euro Diamond vs Minox ZA5?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris Euro Diamond vs Minox ZA5?
    Posted: December/10/2010 at 12:27
I'm putting together an AR 15 in 6.8spc for hunting Whitetail in heavy cover or while on foot. I want a scope with a great field of view and easy target equsition for those close range moving shots but I would also like something suited for shots out to 250 yards. My initial thoughts was to go with the Nikon Monarch Gold in 1.5-6x42 mainly becasue I have a Nikon Buckmast on my bolt gun now and it's been decent but after some more research I think there may be better options out there in the price range. I'm new to the forum and by no means a scope expert so I'd like the advice from some of you experts on what my best options are with a max price somewhere around $600.

SInce this gun is being built specifically for hunting MN northern "big woods". FOV and fast target aquisition are probably most important followed by low light capabilities. To be honest I'm fine with the glass on my Buckmaster so if you think I'd be satisfied with somthing less expensive and have an idea please let me know.

Thanks in advance for helping out the FNG!
BigGameBalls View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2010 at 12:30
Whoops forgot to add the 2 scopes that caught my eye were the Burris Euro Diamonmd 1.5-6x40 and the Minox ZA5 1.5-8x40. I know nothing about these two brands. Growing up I was pretty much told to buy a leopould or Nikon and be happy.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2010 at 12:59
dont get me wrong i dont think any of the scopes you mentioned are bad choices, but im pretty happy with my cheapo vortex viper 2x7 that sits on my .375H&H and i hunt the "big woods" too. maybe a trijicon would be a good choice as well. its too bad zeiss quit making the 1.8x5 in the conquest line.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2010 at 13:13
I really want something that goes down below 2x but I'll take a look at the viper. How is a Viper optically compared to a Nikon Buckmaster?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2010 at 13:18
better, the viper competes with the monarch. the diamondback competes with the buckmaster. nikon makes a nice scope too. i have had several in the last 10 years and cant complain about any of them.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2010 at 13:25
Vortex seems to make a nice scope for the money then. Looks like their FOV might be wider then some others at lower manifications too. Might be worth a look. I really wanted "high end" by my standards but maybe I can get it without spending my whole budget.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2010 at 13:43
By the way I would still like some more opinions on other options including the ones that I mentioned. I'm hoping some of you real picky glass critics will chime in.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2010 at 15:25
Unless I am mistaken, the Minox is 2-10x40.  If you are looking for something that goes below 2x, this is not it (nice scope otherwise though).

ILya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2010 at 16:57

Minox now has a 1.5-8 but it might not be a 40mm lense.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2010 at 17:05
Originally posted by BigGameBalls BigGameBalls wrote:

Minox now has a 1.5-8 but it might not be a 40mm lense.

Ah.  That is the 1.5-8x32.  I thought it wasn't available just yet, but I could be wrong.

ILya
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2010 at 17:34
Does anyone know if Minox is using the Schotts glass in this new scope?
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2010 at 17:36
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

Does anyone know if Minox is using the Schotts glass in this new scope?

Minox uses Schott glass in all of their scopes.  However, that is one of many things in the scope advertising world that you really should not care about.  At all.

ILya
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2010 at 17:46
Vortex Viper, you can't go wrong, especially for the price. How much do I like them? I bought 3 recently!
gcp
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2010 at 21:03
to bad that minox isnt a 36mm objective or better yet a 40mm. i like the power range on it though. looks like it will be a real winnerExcellent
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2010 at 21:11
My thoughts exactly! I really like atleast a 40mm lense. Probably dont need it but if anything I like the looks better.

Can someone give me some feed back on the Burris high end scopes? Does the glass in them live up to some of the German stuff like the Zeiss Conquest or Minox?

SWFA has the Euro Diamond 1.5-6x40 on close out for 409 with german #4 or 499 with illuminated #4. Seems like a good price and aside from not have a 5x power range is exactly what I want.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2010 at 08:35
I have been a 6.8 hunter for the last few years and I too feel a good 1.5-6x40(ish) is about ideal for the gun and intended use
I had the Burris Eurodiamond but the ill reticle crapped out on me twice

I think I would opt for the Monarch Gold over it

I am testing right now what I feel is the ultimate optic for the 6.8, a S&B Zenith Flashdot #9

Wilson Combat 18" Recon and S&B 1.5-6 Flashdot #9

Having fun doing headshots on a Larue resetting steel target

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2010 at 09:34
My god that's a sweet scope. Wish I had the money to throw at one of those. I think I saw your post with those pictures on the 6.8 forums.
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2010 at 18:44
I have the ZA5 in a 3-15 configuration, and I had the Burris TAC30 3-9 for a few weeks: it has abt the same glass but not the same mechanicals as the Euro Diamond.

I give a slight edge to the Minox for glass, and definitely an edge on the mechanicals - but the Black Diamond/ Euro Diamond have better mechanicals than the TAC30. On the other hand, I find the 1.5-6 Euro Diamond on the heavy side at 17 oz. The big advantage of the Burris is the illumination - it's huge if you hunt at night, and the latest generation is very effective. However, I have heard some complaints about the reliability of the illuminated reticle (same as the complaint above - just quit working).

In the end, between the two, if you do not hunt nights I'd probably go with the Minox.

Edited by WestOfPecos - December/11/2010 at 18:45
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2010 at 20:43
Thanks guys keep the Nikon Monarch gold 1.5-6x42 in the equation too. The thing I like about it is it does have the largest FOV on low power with 65 ft @100. I suspect that the FOV difference at the ranges you'd be using 1.5 power (75 and under) would be pretty minimal though.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2010 at 11:45
I would probably opt for the Monarch frankly, I have come close to getting one a few times
on the other hand, the deal that SWFA has on the non illuminated Burris is very good

I think you would be happy either way

Edited by ccoker - December/12/2010 at 12:10
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic