OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris Euro Diamond vs Minox ZA5?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2010 at 12:08
2-7x viper with C4 reticle looks very similar in size/reticle/magnification for more than 10x less than the s&b and is still a very high quality scope.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2010 at 12:11
I have one of the 2-7 vipers well
nice scope indeed
I shot a doe last night at 250 yards at last shooting light when I couldn't see it with my naked eye
the S&B made it an easy shot

The Viper would not have been able to make that shot

Another scope I would like to get a hold of would be a Leupold Euro 30mm 2-7 with #4 reticle
not for the 30mm tube but for the reticle, compact size and light weight

Edited by ccoker - December/12/2010 at 12:21
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

BigGameBalls View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2010 at 23:44
Not a lot of votes for the Minox? I really like the 1.5 x 8 power range and the only draw back is the little smaller objective lense. Do you guys have faith in Minox. Them being new to the scope world scares me a little.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 07:09
Originally posted by BigGameBalls BigGameBalls wrote:

Not a lot of votes for the Minox? I really like the 1.5 x 8 power range and the only draw back is the little smaller objective lense. Do you guys have faith in Minox. Them being new to the scope world scares me a little.

just no personal experience
it looks like a cool little scope actually
I wouldn't mind checking one out, see if I can get one sent to me

Edited by ccoker - December/13/2010 at 07:11

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 07:17
One of the guys that works at SWFA just put a Minox in a differnt power range on his 204 and absolutely loves it he said.  Maybe PM Chris farris II and ask him about it. 
outlawskinnyd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlawskinnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 16:02
if i were you, id go for the 32-35mm range.

scientifically the 40mm will give you more light transmission than a 32-35mm, if your eyes can tell the difference thats something else (most of the time my eyes cant). i notice a lot of people talk about how much brighter the objects are in a 40mm scope over a 32-36mm scope, i think its just they are looking a bigger sight picture.

having something at 1.5x and 2x is not that big of a difference. on my vortex strikefire i can fire both eyes open on 1x and 2x. so to say 1.5x is gonna give you a bigger fov over a 2x is maybe scientifically right, but again can you see it? at 4x zoom can you notice the extra 15ft of fov? hell even 20ft?

if you have a bolt action your gonna want the glass as low as possible. 36mm is the most i see around where i hunt with guys who have bolts and a lot of guys who have 40 are sitting or have a spot to hunt, not on the move. 

i am in the same position you are. im looking for a scope for my 30-06 rifle that im gonna use for anything that isnt coyote, bobcat or fox. and my choices, like you are between minox, zeiss and vx3. im worried about all the same characteristics you are. fov, low light. id worry more on glass than objective size. 

sorry i told you anything you already know.  

ps- vortex is nice, but not on the zeiss and leupold level. maybe monarch. but i dont consider a monarch better than a vx2. 
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 16:18
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

One of the guys that works at SWFA just put a Minox in a differnt power range on his 204 and absolutely loves it he said.  Maybe PM Chris farris II and ask him about it. 

Well he says the Minox eats the Nikon and Burris for breakfast so I guess now the only question is do I go for the 1.5-8 with the larger FOV like I want and the smaller objective lense or go 2-10 with the 40mm. I'll probaby go for the 1.5-8 since FOV is the whole reason I'm looking for a new scope in the 1st place.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 16:20

the 1.5-8 gets my vote

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlawskinnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 16:22
i just wanna add if i come up with anymore choices ill let you know. sightron makes a 3-9x36 which is said to be f**king nuts. i know you dont want 3x but htink about it, you have binoculars, your gonna spot your game and set up for the shot, i mean even in my apartment at 20 ft away if i look at something with my 1x vortex strikefire and look at 3x with my leupy or monarch im still gonna hit where i want with what seems like no delay. at 2x on my strikefire and 3x on my leupy or monarch theres no delay. if somethings that close how often can you make adjustments on your scope. if something pops up 10ft infront of you are you gonna aim? adjust your scope? sh*t no, by the time you do the thing will run away. 

these are all tings i think about when buying a scope. 
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 16:26
Yea the whole reason I'm in this position is I had the buck of a lifetime come hauling ass under my stand this year in some thick stuff and my 3-9 didn't give me a good FOV. I missed 4 times. A lot of it had to do with buck fever I'm sure but I was looking at a FOV the size of a trash can and trying to hit a deer runnig full speed. By the way when I say monster I'm talking about a 6+ year old deer that would've field dressed at over 250 LBS, had atleast a 22" spread and would've been a lock to make boon and crocket. This is the 3rd time I've been pissed off I had a 3-9 scope sitting on a bolt. Now I'm going to the extreme and building an AR in 6.8 and I want as much FOV as possible.

Minox 1.5-8 here we come!
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 17:03
cool man

what you described of having a deer come under or behind a stand is one of the reasons I first got into handgun hunting..

being able to get a pistol in gear for a close encounter fast with minimal movement sure comes in handy

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlawskinnyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 18:18
i stand corrected. im not a deer hunter. tell me how you like that scope as i may opt for it. 

i
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 01:03
Originally posted by outlawskinnyd outlawskinnyd wrote:

i stand corrected. im not a deer hunter. tell me how you like that scope as i may opt for it. 

i

I've found that real life deer hunting situations that dont work out usually leave you wanting less power not more. It's not always like the hunting shows where they just stand out in the middle of a field. Like I said 3 times now I've been pissed off that my scope had too much power even on the lowest setting. I've always left my 3-9's set on 3 power and I dont think I've ever even turned them up when I've actually taken a deer.
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 09:29
Now you know why I like the Kwik sites in see through configuration. I can use the rifle's sights at close range, or if the scope gets damaged and won't have to call the hunting day a waste.

I would opt for higher magnification and use of steel sites for up close and personal.

Edited by gcp - December/14/2010 at 09:30
gcp
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 09:52
Originally posted by BigGameBalls BigGameBalls wrote:

Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Well he says the Minox eats the Nikon and Burris for breakfast so I guess now the only question is do I go for the 1.5-8 with the larger FOV like I want and the smaller objective lense or go 2-10 with the 40mm. I'll probaby go for the 1.5-8 since FOV is the whole reason I'm looking for a new scope in the 1st place.
Bucky
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 13:46
Ahhh got to bump this now that they have the Euro Diamond 1.5-6x40 on close out for $299. That seems like way too good a deal to pass up. Do you guys agree?
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 14:45
buy both, don't mount either and test into the night over a few days..
that's the only way to know for sure...

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 15:02
I'll be scrounging for pennies in the couch to buy either so I cant afford to buy both. I'm starting to think that if I'm happy with a Nikon Buckmaster that I'll be plenty happy with a Euro Diamond and the old lady will be much happier with me.
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2010 at 23:03
Here is Randy Wakeman's review of the e-dot version of the 1.5x6 Euro Diamond: Burris Euro Diamond 1.5-6x40mm Riflescope. He would probably agree with you.

Edited by WestOfPecos - December/17/2010 at 23:03
claimbuster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claimbuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2010 at 01:56
If you haven't already done so, you may want to check SWFA's prices on the Euro Diamonds.  They are dis-continued and the prices have really been dropped.

I have a 1.5-6X40 Signature Select on a 450 Bushmaster AR, a fantastic scope.  However, I put a Euro- Diamond 3-12X56 with e-dot on a 6.5 Grendel AR.  The e-dot for pig hunting has really sold me.

So I ordered a 1.5-6 Euro with e-dot for the 450.  I'll pull the Signature Select and put it up for sale.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic