OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

BLASER R 8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BLASER R 8
    Posted: December/13/2010 at 05:12
 I am the happy owner of a Blaser r 93. 
Now, i have seen the new R8 and must admit it looks pretty cool. I havent heard from anybody who owns it and are having expience with it. Anybody out there??
Is it shooting as well as the as the 93?. Pros and Cons????
Savage 93 17.HMR. Tikka Tac A1 308 Blaser R8 6,5-55 / 30-06. Beretta Silver Pigeon. Comming up-TIKKATAC A1 22LR

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 09:15
Hi, Claus...
Blaser rifles aren't very common here in the US because of their $4,000 USD and up price tag here, so you aren't likely to find many owners. 

As for the R8, I have handled them at shows, but have never fired one.  Since the barrel is made the same way as with the R93 (chamber and bore are both hammer forged in the same step), the barrel mounting method is the same, and it uses the same basic collet style bolt head, I would imagine they shoot about the same on average as the R93.  The overall design is very similar, with the R8 being a larger rifle overall.  I believe the main differences between the R8 and R93 is the R8's action and bolt head are larger so it can handle larger cartridges and it has a detachable magazine.  The magazine and trigger assy detach in one integral unit.

I really like the straight pull bolt and overall design concept of the Blaser rifles.  From a mechanical design standpoint, they are very interesting rifles, and I might be interested in buying one if they weren't so expensive.

Edited by RifleDude - December/13/2010 at 09:16
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 09:29
There was an article about the 93 and 8 a month or two back in American Rifleman.  They do look like neat rifles.  I considered saving up for one til I saw the price tag.  Whacko  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 09:53
Hi RifleDude.
You are right they are pricy as h... Over here the R8 basic model is app. 6000us$ in retail ( i need a left hand rifle)
I have allways been more than satisfied with my R93. 
It`s got a great balance, is short and handy, the reloading system is fantastic, and it is very accurate. 
The only reason i have for changing it is that it is a right hand rifle, and ever since i tried to shoot with a lefty i badly wanted one. 
Acturly i just wanted a lefty R93 but since there is a newer model on the market, i whish to suck as much info about it before getting into the deal.
I was not aware that the R8 is larget than the 93. None of the local dealers have them in stock here.

Savage 93 17.HMR. Tikka Tac A1 308 Blaser R8 6,5-55 / 30-06. Beretta Silver Pigeon. Comming up-TIKKATAC A1 22LR

Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 10:14
Claus I dont own one, but i got got to shoot one this weekend.

R8 Attache in 9.3 x 62 mounted with a Swarovski Z6 2-12 x50.

What a fantastic rifle. Wish I could afford one, but they are even more expensive here in S.A. This one had a price tag of $10000.00, without the scope.
Rifle has a nice weight to it, with a semi weight barrel and a Kickstop in the stock. The new Desmodromic trigger is fantastic , best trigger I have seen on factory rifle. Straight stock really helps with recoil compared to the more traditional Bavarian style, I could have shot this rifle all day over a bench. We shot two loads in 9.3 a Barnes 250gr TSX and a PMP(local ammo company in S.A)286gr solid. Both loads managed to print under an inch, even though the rifle's owner hasn't done any load developement yet. I've been wanting a Blaser since I first got my hands on one 4 years ago, every time I start saving I have to spend the money on something else. But mine will definately be a R8 in 9.3.

Regards Chris
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 10:22
yo making me queasy.

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2010 at 13:24
Good one PyroLaugh
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 06:05
Hi Cris.

The Attache is app. 8000US$ over here. 
Sounds like you had a nice day at the range. Big Smile Big Smile
What distances did you shoot on?
I have read about the trigger, it should be crisp as glass.
I can see the stock is more straight than on the 93.
I have to talk to the local gunpusher and get him to get one in stock so i can check it out.
Thanks Cris

Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 07:40
Claus we shot at 110m as we had to shoot into a river bed, trigger really is fantastic really crisp. One of the groups that my friends son shot was 4 shots cutting each other and the 5 shot just a touch off. I never had a chance to shoot the R93, but the R8 is fantastic rifle. I have handled the R93, and the R8 handles the same.

What caliber are you looking at?

Regards Chris
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 07:55
It sounds like they are pretty much the same when it comes to accuracy. Excellent
My plan is to stick to the 30-06 and then buy a smaller barrel for deer. Maybe 6,5 55 or smaller.
I don`t know the caliber you shot with.
I mostly hunt Roedeer, a smaller deer weighing app. 25 kg for a good deer. 
Is it also your impression that the R8 is larger than the 93?

Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 08:51
Claus I havent compared them side by side but as far as I can see they are excately the same size. R8 has a straight stock and the detachable magazine, the case is a bit bigger to accomadate a space for the magazine(trigger). The magazine incorprates the trigger as well, so the whole unit detaches. We shot a 9.3x62 Mauser.

Regards Chris
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 09:00
I can`t wait to try it out!!!!!
What are you mostly hunting down there?

Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2010 at 20:11
Most African plains game, but our bread and butter animal is the Impala
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2010 at 06:06
Sounds good to me. Big Smile

Brazos_Jack View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brazos_Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2010 at 02:49
Originally posted by Claus Claus wrote:

Hi RifleDude.
I have allways been more than satisfied with my R93. 
It`s got a great balance, is short and handy, the reloading system is fantastic, and it is very accurate. 
The only reason i have for changing it is that it is a right hand rifle, and ever since i tried to shoot with a lefty i badly wanted one. 
Acturly i just wanted a lefty R93 but since there is a newer model on the market, i whish to suck as much info about it before getting into the deal.
I was not aware that the R8 is larget than the 93. None of the local dealers have them in stock here.

Claus,

Why don't you just get a left hand bolt and bolt head for your current R93?

You could probably find a good deal on a used bolt and bolt head if you advertise on Blaser Buds Forum and Blaser Pro Forum.

The R93 stocks, receivers, and barrels are all ambidextrous. Only the bolt and bolt head have to change. All R93 assemblies are interchangable - not fitting necessary.
Brazos Jack

...there are more instances of the abridgement of freedoms of the people by gradual and silent encroachment of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.

- James Madison
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2010 at 09:04
Hi Jack.
The reason i am not buying a LH bolt is that here in Europe there are no such thing as used ones for sale.
Believe me, i have been all over. Smile

A new one cost somewhere around 625 us$. 

Now. I could buy a new one but it is still not a LH rifle. The cartriges are still comming out in rh side unless i put another 400us$ on top of it for a new magasin. 

The place where you put your chin ( i dont know the english word for it) is also sitting on the "wrong" side.

I haven`t seen or heard about the forums you tell about but i will defenately check them out. Thank you for the info.

Ok. In case i bought a bolt in USA. I would need need an export licence thats gonna cost me app 400 us$ (depending on state)

I would also need an Import licence over here, i dont know the price on that but usually theres no free lunches when it comes to paperwork from the authoraties.Whacko

Regards 
Claus

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2010 at 09:22
Originally posted by Glock Glock wrote:

Claus I havent compared them side by side but as far as I can see they are excately the same size.

R8 action is a bit larger to accommodate larger cartridges.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Brazos_Jack View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brazos_Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2010 at 09:59
Claus,

My R93 is a Professional model and the stock is ambidextrious. No left and right hand specific Pro stocks exist. If you have a wood stock model with right hand specific cheek piece then that justifies needing a new frame. I was unaware that their were any right hand specific stocks for the R93.

I do not believe there is such a thing as a left hand magazine insert for the Blaser R93. If you look at your magazine insert you will see it is single column and the cartridges stack in an arc - almost a semi-rotary fashion. I am pretty sure that they all arc the same direction. Here in the US, a Blaser owner would have little problem selling his right hand bolt and bolt head to help finance the purchase of the left hand parts.

Both forums I mentioned have active classified sections. There are several Europeans on these forums and they might be able to advise you on your best options there.
Brazos Jack

...there are more instances of the abridgement of freedoms of the people by gradual and silent encroachment of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.

- James Madison
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2010 at 11:48
Rifledude like i said never seen them side by side, but you are spot on. Not just with the larger cartridges, but also the magazine capacity on the R8 is higher by 1 round on most calibers.

5 shot group that my friends son shot

Regards Chris

Edited by Glock - December/17/2010 at 12:04
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2010 at 12:48
Nice shooting!
Ted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic