OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

favorite porro binos?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2011 at 15:49
This says it all!

Blind as a bat

Rich Coyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Blind as a bat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Coyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2011 at 21:33
Topic: favorite porro binos?

“There is a reason why not many zoom binoculars are available.

There is a reason that we refuse to take them on trade.

There is a reason why Leica and Leupold made dual power binoculars instead of zoom.

Claiming the Nikon 7-15's are better than a $1,000.00 pair of binoculars is like claiming a tasco World Class is better than a Swarovski Pro-Hunter.”

I gues you didn't get the title of this thread.  I posted it again at the top of this post for a reminder.   Glad I could help.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2011 at 22:57
Rich, I most certainly do not follow you around to argue with you (I would be overjoyed if I never had to argue with you again, but I can't simply ignore you benignly asinine attempts to mislead people).  I assure you that there is nothing personal in my disagreement with you.

I meant exactly what I said: I strongly disagree with your recommendation.  You most certainly have a right to recommend whatever bino rocks your boat right now, just like I have the right to think that the binocular you recommended is one of the worst optical instruments I have ever seen with a Nikon log (and the competition there is pretty stiff).

ILya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Blind as a bat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Coyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2011 at 23:23
koshkin,

"I would be overjoyed if I never had to argue with you again.."

You don't have to.  The thread is about one's favorite binocular.  The original poster can do the same thing I did:  Go to the store and compare until he finds what is the best for his eyes.  Taht includes comparing fixed binocuars with varibles.

I own a 13X56 Minox.  For rock chuck hunting it is much better than the 7-15X35 Nikon.  For walking around in the woods I purchased a 6.5X32 Vortex Raptor before last hunting season.  It is lighter than the Nikon.  The Nikon has to be on about 7 1/4X to be able to make out the same detail as I can with the Raptor; but it has 7 1/4X available so I am not limited.   In order to see the same detail as the 13X Minox the Nikon has to be on 15X; but it has 15X available.

After using the Raptor for the whole season I switched back to the Nikon for next year.  There were times when I had to put the rifle scope on what I thought was a game animal and turned it up above 6.5X only to discover it was a deer shaped bush or stump or shadow.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2011 at 23:28
Rich, please note that aside from the title of the thread, in the fifth post IN the thread (you did read it right?), the original poster offered more details on what he is looking for.  Had it been only about a "favourite porro binocular", I assure you I would avoid wading into the bizarre world of your optics choices like the plague.

ILya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Blind as a bat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Coyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 00:17
koshkin,

Just like you read every post.
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 19:26
Originally posted by Rich Coyle Rich Coyle wrote:

koshkin,

Just like you read every post.
Rich:

I am thinking Koshkin did read every post here on this thread, did you?
For some here who have experience with optics, the idea is to offer advice that will
aid others in making a purchase.

Taking into consideration some of the thoughts here, I do realize "Blind as a Bat"Wink
does make me think about your ability. 

Stay around, maybe you will learn something about binoculars.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 20:14
Minox +3 (3-D that is)... Birdwatcher put me on to them I think...  They are perfect for the price and function durability is not an issue with them.

They pop-up on the sample list in perfect shape from time to time...

No one
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 20:18
Well i can of see why Rich is want disagree with everything ILya has to  dude is a tasco employee. IDK about u guys but everything ILya has said any thred has been pretty usefully IMO.
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 20:23
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

There is a reason why not many zoom binoculars are available.

There is a reason that we refuse to take them on trade.

There is a reason why Leica and Leupold made dual power binoculars instead of zoom.

Claiming the Nikon 7-15's are better than a $1,000.00 pair of binoculars is like claiming a tasco World Class is better than a Swarovski Pro-Hunter.

The Tasco is not better??? Is it closer to being equal??? Oh maybe closer to AV series then???

I do agree very very very strongly with Rich on one point. DRUM ROLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!

"Jesus died for our sins. Now He's alive!"

It's a good thing none of us are perfect.

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - January/16/2011 at 21:29
No one
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Blind as a bat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Coyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 21:20
About Tascos being better than Swarovski:  If one is trying to see detail at a distance with a scope which does not have A.O. or side focus and another does, the one without will loose out in a side by side comparison.  Try it sometime.

I think most of you readers have trouble with reading comprehension.  I think I posted that I started with the $1000 binocs and compared them side by side outside the store until I found the best for my eyes.

It is what I suggest everyone does.  If they can’t do that, then maybe they can work with an online company which will let them return something if it is not what they want.

Did God allow?  The only place I can find the word “allow” in one of my Bibles is in Judges 3 where he allowed some of the Canaanites to remain because some of the Israelites had not experienced war.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 21:31
JOB

No one
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Blind as a bat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Coyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 22:46
338LAPUASLAP,

"JOB"

Reference please.  I have been reading God's Word for about thirty-six years and have yet to see where God allowed anything  concerning Job.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 23:38

Job 1:12-19

Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 23:42
PM

This is pretty off topic...

Understandable, hopefully...

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - January/16/2011 at 23:50
No one
zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeissoem2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 15:11
My favorite Porro???

Maybe my avatar - name tells it all Big Smile

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 15:13
Originally posted by zeissoem2 zeissoem2 wrote:

My favorite Porro???

Certainly, but I was expecting more of your awesome picturesBig Smile
Doug
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 16:00
Originally posted by zeissoem2 zeissoem2 wrote:

My favorite Porro???

The very least that you could do is post a nice photo of a Zeiss 15x60 B/GA. Bandito

Edited by Bird Watcher - January/23/2011 at 16:01
zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeissoem2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2011 at 10:30

I have to try to get into my photobucket again or make a new account . My account was hacked and I lost mostly all my photoes.

zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeissoem2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2011 at 10:50
Here we go

Green zeiss OEM 2  14 x 45

Black Zeiss 12x , 20x ,40 x 80

Meopta (flm / zeiss )25 x 100

Edited by zeissoem2 - January/24/2011 at 11:00
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic