OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

VX-II vs. VX-3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VX-II vs. VX-3
    Posted: December/22/2010 at 22:28
I'm getting ready to scope a new rifle and these are the two scopes I'm focusing on.

I own VX-II & the "older" VX-III scopes...I know the the difference in features between the two scopes, but what I can't decide is, as far as performance and optical clarity are concerned, is the new VX-3 worth that much more than a VX-II?

Input appreciated.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2010 at 08:40
The new VX-3 is the best value as far as what you're getting for your money under the Leupold name, but that is just my opinion. With the step up into the Twilight lens System that is a pretty big step up over the VX-II.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2010 at 09:30
I like the VX-3 series.  Optically, they aren't far behind the Conquest.

I thought the Vx-II series was mediocre, at best, and I owned several.
-Matt
travis13 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote travis13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2010 at 10:19
I believe the VX-3 is quite a bit better than the VX-II. I have used both and I feel the VX-3 is a great scope. I think there are a few scopes that are on par with the VX-3 for less money: Monarch and Elite, but the warranty and being made in the USA means alot to me. I've got Monarchs, Elite 4200's, VX-3, and Conquest. The Conquest is the best optically, but the others are not far behind. I rate the VX-3 just above the Monarch and just below the 4200. There is just a since of confidence and assurance when you have a Leupy scope on your rifle. Get the VX-3
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2010 at 10:19
I agree with Chris & Matt. 
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2010 at 10:22
Originally posted by travis13 travis13 wrote:

I believe the VX-3 is quite a bit better than the VX-II. I have used both and I feel the VX-3 is a great scope. I think there are a few scopes that are on par with the VX-3 for less money: Monarch and Elite, but the warranty and being made in the USA means alot to me. I've got Monarchs, Elite 4200's, VX-3, and Conquest. The Conquest is the best optically, but the others are not far behind. I rate the VX-3 just above the Monarch and just below the 4200. There is just a since of confidence and assurance when you have a Leupy scope on your rifle. Get the VX-3

Guess I was wrong.  _EDIT

Edit again, I was right
iI hope that doens't mean to much cause they are only assembled in teh US, not made.  Parts still  made somewhere else

E

Edited by SVT_Tactical - December/23/2010 at 10:33
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2010 at 10:28
Actually all the gold ring scopes are made in the US parts an all.  THey have a pretty neat video on their site about that.

I have an FX2 4x and will say the glass is pretty sub par IMO, not even comparable to my 4200, Sightron big sky, Trijicon scopes.  Honestly my Bushnell Legend looks better to me.   I don't have a VX3 but from what everyone says they are much better. 

Edited by supertool73 - December/23/2010 at 10:29
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2010 at 10:30
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Actually all the gold ring scopes are made in the US parts an all.  THey have a pretty neat video on their site about that.

I have an FX2 4x and will say the glass is pretty sub par IMO, not even comparable to my 4200, Sightron big sky, Trijicon scopes.  Honestly my Bushnell Legend looks better to me.   I don't have a VX3 but from what everyone says they are much better. 

Well i learned soemthing new.  thanks ST
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2010 at 10:30
I guess the glass is imported, but they can't really help that one.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2010 at 10:32
Well see I was saying if it says made in the us is should be 100% made in US, not the main part somewhere else. 

it be like saying you where 99% straight and 1% gay, peopled still call you gay even though its only 1%Wink
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2010 at 10:34
Laugh Above

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2010 at 13:01
Buy the VX3 it is well worth the difference, a better question to ask is do I buy VX3 or Zeiss Conquest because if the price is anywhere close the Zeiss it the better scope.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2010 at 13:17
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Buy the VX3 it is well worth the difference, a better question to ask is do I buy VX3 or Zeiss Conquest because if the price is anywhere close the Zeiss it the better scope.

Yeah, this is a whole other issue.

IIRC, the Conquests are assembled in the US...but I really like the Leupold's warranty, MOST parts and assembly here and the warranties are second to none. I've put their warranty and customer service to use on a couple different occasions and they were great.

One of the main reasons the Conquest isn't in the running is it's almost 4oz heavier than the Leupold and I'm trying my best to keep the weight down on this rifle.
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2010 at 13:51
I can't say one way or the other WRT a Bushnell Elite by my Leupold VX-3 (8.5-20x50) is a better scope than my Nikon Monarch (6-24x50), especially above 18x where some slight hazing takes effect.  It's no bad but it is noticable.  Below that they are both pretty equal although I would like to do a light transmission check one of these days.

As far as the Bushnell, I've looked thru one Elite 6500 w/o the benefit of any comparisions but it too started looking just a tad hazy above 12x (IIRC).  I did look thru a Bausch & Lomb 4-16x40 earlier this year and would have picked it up if the timing was better.  Optically it looked crisp thru the entire zoom range.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2010 at 14:28
Originally posted by Stud Duck Stud Duck wrote:

IIRC, the Conquests are assembled in the US...but I really like the Leupold's warranty, MOST parts and assembly here and the warranties are second to none. I've put their warranty and customer service to use on a couple different occasions and they were great.

One of the main reasons the Conquest isn't in the running is it's almost 4oz heavier than the Leupold and I'm trying my best to keep the weight down on this rifle.

Do you know how little 4oz's is?  compared to the better glass and value of the Conquest its a no brainer in my opinion.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2010 at 16:48
The VX3 now competes pretty well with the other scopes in its price range. I also have great faith in leupold and one sits on all my rifles above .300.  The only VXII that I'm really am fond of is
1-4x20
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2010 at 23:13
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Originally posted by Stud Duck Stud Duck wrote:

Do you know how little 4oz's is?  compared to the better glass and value of the Conquest its a no brainer in my opinion.
Maybe it's me, but I get a little perplexed when I see references to how many ounces this scope A is lighter/heaver than scope B.  For me, if a few ounces were a concern I'd try and loose it else where, but not in the optics. 

Am I overlooking something?
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2010 at 23:42
I totally follow what you're saying.  for a quarter of a pound, a superior scope should be of much higher priority.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2010 at 07:56
of 4oz is such a huge deal, eat an extra bowl of wheaties the morning of the hunt. good glass is heavy
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SouthernStar View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthernStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2010 at 08:38
i picked up a new VX3 3.5-10x40 CDS for 450$ shipped, which isnt much more than a 3-9x40 conquest and has the CDS option..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic