OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ruger 10/22 Scope opinions---TACKDRIVER

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ruger 10/22 Scope opinions---TACKDRIVER
    Posted: December/27/2010 at 11:38
Hey guys..I want to build me a 10/22 tack driver and wants some opinions and options for scopes.

I HAVE a Tasco trajetory 6-24x40, and its an OK scope. It was actually made in either Japan or Phillipines BEFORE Bushnell bought them and made Tasco their chinese crap scopes.

I will probably be getting a Green Mountian barrel and want this 1st build to be a tack driver. I don't know if my scope I already have will suffice or if I need to look at better optics. It will be used for just paper punching, but MAY later on down the road be used in some competitions as I get information on them. 

What would ya'll suggest? 

Are the BSA rimfire trajectory scopes any good or are they crap as well?

What do the "rimfire" scopes offer? (Other than some being ballisticly matched for trajectory)

--Bboy623
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 11:43
Would the Vortex Crossfire 6-24X50 be THAT much better??? I know the glass MAY be a tad better than my Tasco, but for a rimfire....what other benefits would it offer?--Bboy623
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 12:14
Why dont you look at the Burris discontiued scopes
Burris 6.5-20x50 Fullfield II Rifle Scope
Burris 6.5-20x50 Fullfield II Rifle Scope
Stock # - 200191
  • Matte
  • Fine Plex
  • 1"
  • Hunter Knobs
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Discontinued closeout price
  • Normally $419.95
$249.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 12:33
I don't think you would be happy with the BSA's, glass is not that good, some work and some don't. I have the sweet .22 BSA on my Ruger, and it has held up great, plus the adjustments are right on from 50-100 yds, just not that appealing to look through.  I have the $99 Vortex on my AR and is still going strong, but other people have used their great CS more than they wanted with this scope, and .22's are just plain hard on scopes.  I would probly run that Tasco till she goes out and try to grab up one of the discontinued Burris if you can, the glass is probably the best you can get at the closeout price.

Rimfire scopes offer a closer fixed parallax, most set to 50 yards, while most other scopes are set at 100 yards.

Don't forget to add a recoil buffer, like this one
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=554518

Edited by GetSome - December/27/2010 at 13:45
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 13:25
I would recommend a regular SSx10.
http://swfa.com/-P499.aspx
parallax adjustment down to 10 meters. mil-dot, repeatable knobs, that you can reset once you have zeroed.
they also make them in 16x and 20x.

If you don't already have 10/22. You might want to consider a savage mark II.
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 14:20
Will this be strictly a bench gun?  If so, the 6.5-20 will work.  If you plan on using it for other things, the high magnification can be miserable.  I had a 6-18 on my custom .22.  Took it off as it made it only good for the range.  Have a 3-9 now and the gun has found new life.  
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 15:25
Yea, this will be a 99% bench rifle. Thanks for the opinions.---Bboy623
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2010 at 02:14
I prefer the Weaver V24 6-24x42 for with varmint reticle for rimfire bench work. 

NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2010 at 11:23
Originally posted by sholling sholling wrote:

I prefer the Weaver V24 6-24x42 for with varmint reticle for rimfire bench work. 

Yea, I joined Rim Fire Central and a lot of those guys recommend the Weaver.

Do ya'll have any info on Weaver....(history of the company, type of glass etc)??--Bboy623
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2010 at 11:47
Weaver has been around for decades. Good quality Japanese craftsmanship. Optically I put the Classic V series on par with the Burris Fullfield II, Bushnell Legend, and Nikon Buckmaster but with more zoom. Good scopes. I own two of the V24s, one of the 3-9x32 Rimfires, two or three of their 4x28 shotgun scopes, and have a T24 on my Anschutz. I'm not a Weaver bigot and own lots of other scopes but I like Weavers on rimfires. Great quality and bang for the buck.    Big Grin

Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2010 at 20:45
sweet rifles man! What barrel is that in the first pic? ----Bboy623
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2010 at 21:02
The one with the compensator is a Volquartsen Lightweight THM tension barrel with carbon fiber spacer. The trigger group is also Volquartsen and the bolt is from Kidd. She's a tack driver.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic