OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Prairie Dog scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2011 at 15:38
other than the buckmaster, all of the scopes you mentioned are fairly comparable.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
feklar View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feklar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 15:43
I'd suggest looking at a mil dot reticle.  I like and use the Weaver tactical line.  For dogs and gophers something in the 10-15 power is nice for the longer shots.  Typically you will be proned out or on a bench, during daylight.  For the dogs you might be lower light and sitting.

I have the Nikon BDC reticle and while its ok, I don't like the circles as aiming points.
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2011 at 20:24
I think i am leaning towards the Viper 6.5-20x44 right now with the mil dot. I think for the price it is at least worth a try over a higher end scope for now.
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2011 at 09:23
Since this scope will be used mainly for PD's and the range and less for yotes I went ahead and ordered a Leupold VX3 6.5-20x40LR with the VHR... Man I hope its worth it!
boatammo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boatammo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2011 at 22:24
I have had 5 scopes on my cooper M. 21 223. I keep coming back to the 4.5x14 conquest with the z800 ret. I shoot pdogs. 6.5x20 didn't do it for me tried 2 of those.
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2011 at 22:38
Originally posted by boatammo boatammo wrote:

6.5x20 didn't do it for me tried 2 of those.

2 VX3 6.5-20's didn't work for you?

Well I hope I have better luck with mine than you did
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2011 at 00:14
Sometimes it depends on the environment.  Me, I'd rather have the magnification but things like FOV are also important.  
yinqiaol View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yinqiaol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2011 at 00:56
Thank you for this great series.
Very interesting and entertaining.
Well written!
NO advertising allowed...
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2011 at 09:29
Originally posted by 03mossy 03mossy wrote:

I was actually disapointed in the VX3's with the VHR, I could not get them to focus enough to where the reticle wouldn't fade away.

I went ahead and ordered a Leupold VX3 6.5-20x40LR with the VHR... Man I hope its worth it!

Albert Einstein once said "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".

Did I miss something?
take em!
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2011 at 10:21
Lol, I went back and took the time to adjust it to my eyes and once I did I was extremely impressed and just loved the reticle!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2011 at 10:35
Ah.  Let us know how it works out. 
take em!
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2011 at 22:19
I got it today and put it all together. looks great and I think I am going to love the reticle!

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2011 at 23:45
Good looking setup.  How does she shoot?
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2011 at 09:22
She sure is purdy
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic