OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tikka T3 vs Weatherby Vanguard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tikka T3 vs Weatherby Vanguard
    Posted: January/07/2011 at 21:14
If you have owned one of each, which would you recommend? I'm hearing the prices are good on the Vanguard, but the bolt is buttery smooth on the T3, plus I've heard nothing but great things about them, as the Vanguard, I've heard some negative, not a whole lot, but some. What do you guys think?
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 21:23
I really love the look of the vanguard deluxe/stainless, I don't think they made them anymore, but they still can be found.  Something about stainless and wood trips my trigger. 

Edited by lucytuma - January/07/2011 at 21:24
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 21:40
 Mike,what negatives have you heard about the Vanguard(Howa)?
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 21:45
Cheap stock on the synthetic, guaranteed 1.5" MOA from factory but not in weatherby calibers, but actually not being a shooter at all, even with some handloaded/high end factory loads.
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 21:58
  Oh,I was thinking you were refering more to negatives of the design of the actual Vanguard bbl'd action itself.

Yea,I agree on the cheap synthetic issue for sure.  It seems lately that most brands of rifles come with cheap injection molded synthetic stocks.  They can DEFINITELY affect the accuracy potential of a rifle.

Edited by 300S&W - January/07/2011 at 22:00
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 00:17
I currently own both... my vanguard is a deluxe in 30-06 and my tikka is a t3 hunter in 308. I love both of them and they are both very accurate, but if I could only keep one it would be my tikka hands down. it's smoother, lighter and more accurate.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 07:12
  I believe a person looking to buy a rifle could do alot worse than not handling as many different ones as they can.  With my build I have trouble with stocks that have low combs,large diameter grips,and even std lop's. I handled a Tika at one time and it just didn't work for me.  With my S&W(Howa)I replaced the factory stock with a Brown Precision stock modified to fit me.  Where I run into problems is with rifles I don't want to alter the factory stocks on. With them the best I can do is mount a scope with plenty of eye relief in a way that I have a good bit of front and back adjustment.
scooter65 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 09:02
Mike, I was facing the same dilemma back in October.  I had a price point that I wanted to stay within and it came down to the 2 mfg's you are looking at. 

I handled both guns 50 times a piece at 4 different places and talked to lots of people about both.  I didn't get any damaging opinions on either gun BUT, I got 5:1 more opinions on the Tikka. 

Several other members here also have them and their opinions I would trust hands down.  All said buy the Tikka.  I will say the Vanguard just feels like more of a substantial gun in terms of weight. 

So I went with the numbers game.  THAT many people giving a glowing endorsement just can't be wrong.  I'm not saying the Weatherby is bad at all thats just how I ended up with my Tikka.  I put about 60 rounds thru it before hunting season and I was very pleased.

There are a few tricks you can do to deaden the hollow knock sound of that plastic stock.  Ping me if you buy it and i'll pass them along.

Edited by scooter65 - January/08/2011 at 09:05
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 10:27
Originally posted by tman1965 tman1965 wrote:

I currently own both... my vanguard is a deluxe in 30-06 and my tikka is a t3 hunter in 308. I love both of them and they are both very accurate, but if I could only keep one it would be my tikka hands down. it's smoother, lighter and more accurate.

really, i bet my vanguard will shoot just as accurately if not more than your tikka does. the vanguard sporter is one of the best wooden stocked rifles out there right now.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 11:01
I've shot a few Vanguards, they are nice guns for the money.  I am a Tikka fan, having bought/owned several.
The bottom "metal" and magazines on Tikka T3 are plastic, the stocks are ergonomically good but are on the cheap side (for the T3 lites.)  That said, action is very smooth, accuracy is outstanding, and price is very reasonably.

Vanguards can be had in the weatherby mag calibers (.257WM, for instance) which might be enticing, just be aware that if only Weatherby loads it, it will not be inexpensive to shoot. The actions are not bad, and accuracy has been good on the ones I've shot.

I recently considered a .257WM in a Vanguard, but decided against it when I looked at ammo prices and soft-point rounds, for a box of 20, were $60+, name-brand projectiles were pushing $90.

Having handled and shot both, I will buy more Tikkas.  Weatherby Vanguard is a decent gun, no major issues with it, I just like the feel of the Tikka more.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 12:05
(Flame suit is on.) Wink

I don't like Tikka's, for the reasons RC named and they just feel weird too me when I shoulder them.
I love the slick bolt, accuracy and decent trigger, but I honestly feel like they are a Sako knock off, at the end of the day.

(Hunkerin down in my bunker.)
Bucky   

robbie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 13:10
Obviously some Tikka experience on this thread.  I have one (for my son) in .308.  It's a wood stock and we love it.  I am looking for another one chambered in .270 or .25-06.

Here's the "problem."  There are 2 different wood stocks available.  Well, sort of available.  Of the several houndred T3 Hunters that I have seen, I have only seen 2 or 3 with the stock that I want.

Very few that I talk to (stores, gun shops, internet sellers, wholesalers, and even Baretta) even know that the "other" stock is out there.  One retailer I know got to a Baretta person who acknowledged the difference, but said that there was no way to find or order one.  Said it was luck of the draw.

Let me try to describe the difference:
The standard T3 Hunter has a very smooth, oil satin finish.  The wood actually looks nice and may even be better quality that the one I want.  You can see the wood grain, but cannot feel it.

The rare one is a little lighter in color, but is not the super smoothe finish.  Its more natural (my word) and you can feel some of the wood grain.  I like it better because, for me, it provides better gpip and control when carrying.

Question:  Does anyone have or has anyone seen the rare stock?  They actually have one in .30-06 at my local Gander Mountain.  Pronlem is, I dont want a .30-06. 

Actually, I'd buy it and trade the new 06 guts with someone if I could find someone with calibers I want.  Even considered buying it and another and swapping stocks and reselling one, but........

By the way, I talked to a few shops that would swpap no charge to get a sale if they had the stock that I want, but none do.  Gander won't swap.

While I'm at it.  Scheels had an exclusive offering of SS barrel with wood stcok.  Does anybody know if the wood is laminate or not?

Thanks for reading.  Comments? Help? Suggestions?
Thanks
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 17:43

In at least 6 vanguards I've owned, I've yet to find one that won't shoot with factory ammo. Better yet with handloads. The worst was a VERY light barreled Backcountry model, with a light fluted barrel would shoot factory Wby ammo to about 1.25", but would shoot it's favorite handload to less than 1/2" with boring regularity. I don't own a Tikka, but my dad, and uncle both own them, and they are nice too. If it were me, I  would handle them both, and see which fits best, and feels most comfortable. Fit can sometimes be the difference between a gun you shoot well, and a gun you don't. I've found the Wby style stock to work very well for me, so I've stuck with it.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2011 at 19:14
I've had 3 vanguards and 2 of the 3 were very accurate.  My only complaint is that the triggers on all of them were awful.  They are adjustable, but one I couldn't adjust to lower than 5 pounds...I think, and there was a lot of creep in all of them. 
The 2 that were accurate were really accurate, though.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2011 at 02:57
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Originally posted by tman1965 tman1965 wrote:

really, i bet my vanguard will shoot just as accurately if not more than your tikka does. the vanguard sporter is one of the best wooden stocked rifles out there right now.
this target was shot from a rickety metal table with one sand bag using 150gr corelokts

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2011 at 06:41
thats a pretty good group with a .308,

here's one similar in size with a .300wby

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2011 at 09:15
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

(Flame suit is on.) Wink

I don't like Tikka's, for the reasons RC named and they just feel weird too me when I shoulder them.
I love the slick bolt, accuracy and decent trigger, but I honestly feel like they are a Sako knock off, at the end of the day.

(Hunkerin down in my bunker.)
Bucky   

Me either. I've had three, all are gone now. I'll just buy a Sako if the urge strikes. Loco

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2011 at 12:06
man im on one right now, forgive me for being an asshole. im sorry you all. tough times right now.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2011 at 13:39
Pyro,
sorry to hear your still having tough times... I pray all that will be behind you soon! speaking for myself, I didn't think you were being an asshole at all in yours and my post, and I hope nobody thought I was! hell we are just a couple of friends poking some harmless fun with each other!! ...by the way, from the looks of that target, thats one sweet shootin 300 wtby!!!

Tony
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2011 at 13:48
thanks man, im glad your cool. after i posted that i thought to myself  " that may have been a dumb thing to say"
Excellent
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic