OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

upgrading binos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 11:21
Had a little free time so I went back down to the store that sells those Burris Signatures.  Took them outside today with the EL HDs as it was snowing, blowing, and quite overcast.  It was a great comparison and for my eyes I was able to finally say I don't need the EL HDs as I could "see thru" the falling snow exactly the same as far as I could tell.  Was checking out houses with both that I couldn't really see with the naked eye thru the snow.  Anyway, it was a great trip down there as it set my mind a little more at ease in what I've already thought previously...then I saw they had Vortex binos and casually asked about the Razor HDs.  The sales guy said they don't stock them BUT he said he and the Vortex rep were good buds so he would call the rep and see if he could get the Razor HDs on loaner for a few days.  Pretty sweet deal as I'll get to check them out and I've read/heard so many great things about Vortex that I'm really excited to do some more side by side comparisons.

Now I gotta do some checking up on the RazorHDs, but that shouldn't take a serious amount of time.

I know now that if I go with the Burris Signatures I will be quite happy and my buddy will let me borrow his old ELs when deer season is done and I can compare them against the Sigs and the RazorHDs all at the same time!

This would be really cool to maybe end up with HD glass for less than what I anticipated.

NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 17:53
Originally posted by muddy muddy wrote:

Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

It sounds to me like you're pretty set on the EL and would probanbly waste a lot of time second guessing yourself if you let them pass.   

One thing I think you should be asking is, why does your friend want to get rid of his "mint" EL so cheap?

My buddy works for a Scheels All Sports and is the archery department manager.  He wants the Swaro ELs with the HD glass so he's selling his "old" ELs to me for his cost in them and putting it towards the HD glass.  I completely trust him because I could kick his ballz thru his throat if he took me for a loop!  Big Grin

I am not completely set on the EL's now that I've gotten onto a website where there are people who know more about glass than I've ever thought possible.  Most times when I see a post on a hunting site asking about optics 90% of the people say they have a nice set of glass for around $200-$300 and say there's no difference between what they got and the high end stuff...as far as they can tell.  For whatever reason I am picky and anal about my equipment, I learned the hard way that buying cheap isn't the way to go so I want to get something I will be 100% happy with.

The biggest dang problem is that so few stores carry alpha glass.  The have a crap ton of binos ranging from $25-$500, then a few in the $800 range, a couple $1200, and then only Swarovski for high end glass.  I'd love to compare stuff but can't find it.

What is "open hinge" design and why do people not like it?  Any time I've picked up those super long EL's I've never noticed anything uncomfy about them.
I have been watching your post, and I do agree with Luczik, you should just go ahead and get the
Swaro. EL from your buddy.  They are at the very top optically, and will last you the rest of your
life, as Swaro. will service these for much into the future. 
Some of these newer types that are mentioned here are good, but warranty in the future is
a ?   I own the EL and have tried some of these others.  This is an easy and longterm decision
if your budget allows.

Jerry
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 18:01
Originally posted by muddy muddy wrote:

Had a little free time so I went back down to the store that sells those Burris Signatures.  Took them outside today with the EL HDs as it was snowing, blowing, and quite overcast.  It was a great comparison and for my eyes I was able to finally say I don't need the EL HDs as I could "see thru" the falling snow exactly the same as far as I could tell.  Was checking out houses with both that I couldn't really see with the naked eye thru the snow.  Anyway, it was a great trip down there as it set my mind a little more at ease in what I've already thought previously...then I saw they had Vortex binos and casually asked about the Razor HDs.  The sales guy said they don't stock them BUT he said he and the Vortex rep were good buds so he would call the rep and see if he could get the Razor HDs on loaner for a few days.  Pretty sweet deal as I'll get to check them out and I've read/heard so many great things about Vortex that I'm really excited to do some more side by side comparisons.

Now I gotta do some checking up on the RazorHDs, but that shouldn't take a serious amount of time.

I know now that if I go with the Burris Signatures I will be quite happy and my buddy will let me borrow his old ELs when deer season is done and I can compare them against the Sigs and the RazorHDs all at the same time!

This would be really cool to maybe end up with HD glass for less than what I anticipated.

If you do end up deciding to get the Burris instead of the EL, I would go ahead and get the Vortex Razor or Razor HD instead, since Vortex has a much better warranty and better CS than Burris/ Beretta.  However, if you decide to go with the Razor HD, you are very close to the price of your buddy's EL.  In my earlier post, I incorrectly said the Burris Signature was the same basic binocular as the Vortex Razor.  I was incorrect; instead, it's the same as the Burris Euro Diamond.  If you were looking at an open hinge Burris binocular, it's the Euro Diamond, not the Signature Select.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 21:43
Most everyone here knows that I don't really like anything by Swarovski, but given the choice between an EL and anything by Burris, the EL would be the easy choice - no matter what glass the Burris has.

Oh man, that hurt to type that. Y'all can't be holding this against me later...
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
muddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 22:31
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

Most everyone here knows that I don't really like anything by Swarovski, but given the choice between an EL and anything by Burris, the EL would be the easy choice - no matter what glass the Burris has.

Oh man, that hurt to type that. Y'all can't be holding this against me later...

That made me chuckle.
muddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2011 at 19:30
Well, I've looked at everything over and over and over again and today ended up putting a down payment on the EL's of my buddies.  I've had them in the house for almost a month and every day I'm looking out open windows running up the heating bill and then driving around with them in the truck.  I'm in love. 

Thanks for all the input and suggestions, it was good to overly think the purchase that will likely be my last binocular purchase...  unless I strike it rich!

Thanks again.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2011 at 20:56
I'm glad you like 'em.  I'm still waiting on my Swaros ... stupid weather-caused shipping delays!
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic