OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

S&W or RRA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dezmick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: S&W or RRA
    Posted: January/09/2011 at 23:42
I am wanting to get a new AR15 and the two that i am looking at are a S&W M&P15 OR-MOE
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/largeImagePopup.jsp?productId=709978&cImage=s7_290785_176_01
or a Rock River Arms lar-15 Tactical Operator 2
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=464
I am just wanting some opinions on which one i should get, i really don't care since they will cost just about the same and i like the looks of both, what i am hoping for is getting some opinions from some people who have actually shot one of them.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2011 at 05:27
I've shot the S&W some and really liked it. The RR has the good trigger and a little more "bling" like a chromed bcg free floted rail and the flip up fr. sight.
I've shot similar RR's and found them to be nice too.

Both are good quaity and would serve you well, I'd say. That said, I'd probably go with the RR because it has the extra bling and that trigger. I prefer a rail to hand guards, but that's me.   
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2011 at 08:09
Flip a coin, they're both great rifles, I have both. I think the S&W scroll work looks the best, if that matters.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2011 at 08:12
To say most AR's are made equal would be a bit incorrect but i will say that most ARs in common price ranges are made equal, just a matter of picking a brand favorite.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2011 at 08:26
If I were buying an AR "off the rack", I'd probably go with Stag.
I've had great luck with CMT parts, they make a lefty for folks like me, so I'm partial in that regard.  
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2011 at 08:30

Alot of the RRA operators that are sale priced are chambered for nato, instead of .223 , and have chrome moly barrels, if thats ok the RRA is the best bang for the buck. If you are set on a chrome lined barrel they will run more $$.

I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2011 at 08:32
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

To say most AR's are made equal would be a bit incorrect but i will say that most ARs in common price ranges are made equal, just a matter of picking a brand favorite.
they are made equal, a cartridge that barely beats a 44 mag in muzzle energy and barely beats a 9mm in power factor. (doesn't even make major pistol caliber).
Yogi Bera

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2011 at 09:06
Speaking of Stag, the first few years of S&W AR's were made by them.
Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2011 at 09:16
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Didn't know that.
AustinN4 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AustinN4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2011 at 09:32
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Yes, and quality improved after S&W brought the assembly in house. Today's M&P15 is a solid mid-tier rifle that can be bought at a good price if one shops around.

My first AR was a 16" M&P15A and it performed well. I only sold it because I upgraded to a 14.5" Noveske. The M&P would still be my choice between the 2 asked about by the OP; although, I would most likely buy the MOE version, which was not available when I first purchased.

Actually, if I were buying my first AR today it would be a 14.5" BCM with a mid-length gas system.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2011 at 09:49
http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/
Buy a Rock River lower complete with the match grade trigger that only adds $50 to the cost of a lower and for the upper order a custom upper from white oak armory.   John Hollinger builds the most accurate uppers that can be had and you can specify how you want the flat top upper with18 in SPR  barrel with mid length gas tube with quad rail float tube and flip up front sight gas block or quad rail gas block.  The 18 carries about like the 16 if you use the collapsable stock it is very compact but will give added velocity. Then put a smith vortex flash suppressor on it to save your night vision.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2011 at 09:53
Its interesting how each group views the basic Ar. Hunters don't really want all the police ka-ka stuck on the gun, 3 gun events go for JP's, Wilson and other makers who support that shooting sport and door kickers like BCM, Nov. What a great gun!
Yogi Bera

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2011 at 09:59
Note than Smith recommends the use of specific types of ammo to gain the best results from the vortex. These same types of rounds used with a flash suppressor having the same surface area in openings will show the same result. Most are military type rounds not suited for hunting. Using handloads with vmax (in mine) show about the same flash. Reduced velocity loads (because of  barrel length not loading density) using a good solid hunting bullet like a partition, tsx, or good ole 64 gr power points give better downrange results and less flash in any of the current crop of supressors.
Yogi Bera

AustinN4 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AustinN4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2011 at 10:58
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

Its interesting how each group views the basic Ar. Hunters don't really want all the police ka-ka stuck on the gun, 3 gun events go for JP's, Wilson and other makers who support that shooting sport and door kickers like BCM, Nov. What a great gun!
A very versatile platform, indeed!
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2011 at 14:21
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/
Buy a Rock River lower complete with the match grade trigger that only adds $50 to the cost of a lower and for the upper order a custom upper from white oak armory.   John Hollinger builds the most accurate uppers that can be had and you can specify how you want the flat top upper with18 in SPR  barrel with mid length gas tube with quad rail float tube and flip up front sight gas block or quad rail gas block.  The 18 carries about like the 16 if you use the collapsable stock it is very compact but will give added velocity. Then put a smith vortex flash suppressor on it to save your night vision.

+1 This set up will probably shoot much more accurately than most shooters are capable of.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 17:05

+1 This set up will probably shoot much more accurately than most shooters are capable of.

ar are just like handguns -- thats usually the case with all of them.
Yogi Bera

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic