OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

The hunting gimmicks vs. useful gear thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2011 at 11:19
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Most entrenched gimmick:

Gulp ... camoflauge.  I don't think the camo hunter has any real advantage over the non-camo.  Every year I end up getting super close to some game animal with a bright orange vest on.  If I'm not moving, they don't see me.  Game was taken for centuries before camo.

I still buy it and wear it, it is part of the hunting culture now.

Best gear you'd think would be a gimmick:

Havalon Piranta Z knifes.  A folding clip knife handle that takes #60 scalpel blades.  One gets dull, pop on another.  No sharpening in the field, no sharpener in your pack.  I just bone out my elk "Alaskan-style" and save myself packing a saw as well.

I agree about the camo thing, I think it is a waste.  I had 4 bucks once walk up on me within 20 yards. I was in kahki pants and a white long t shirt.  I was sitting in front of a brush, they looked at more for a minute then kept feeding.  I shot the biggest one.

The reason why I buy it is they have developed material that is pretty quiet and does not collect burrs and stickers like a lot of other day to day clothes I wear.  Plus they have a lot of nice waterproof stuff these day which is nice for the wet hunts.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
robbie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 20:15
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Best gear you'd think would be a gimmick:
Havalon Piranta Z knifes.  A folding clip knife handle that takes #60 scalpel blades.  One gets dull, pop on another.  No sharpening in the field, no sharpener in your pack.  I just bone out my elk "Alaskan-style" and save myself packing a saw as well.
Had never heard of this before, but google it and it looks interesting.  I'm assuming you are saying that you actually use one?  Any particular model?
Do you only yse to skin or for other functions? Butchering?
Thanks
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 20:33

Edited by 300S&W - January/21/2011 at 20:42
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 20:36
I have been using one for five years.  I first saw them in a taxidermy catalog.  I use them for skinning and boning in the field, and trophy care.

I have my game professionally processed, so I don't know how good they would be for all-out butchering.  I would probably use a long, flexible boning knife for doing that, but I am certain the Piranta Z would do in a pinch.

I can not stress enough how nice these knives are.  There is no need for a large knife to bone out even large game like elk and moose in the field.  I don't gut out my game, so all I need is a good sharp, precise knife.  A scalpel is perfect.

I use the black Piranta Z knife.  If I bought one now I would get the bright orange, so I could see it easier in the snow.  Just be careful changing out the blades!

The one issue I have is I occasionally have to tighten the tiny screws holding the pocket clip on the handle.
-Matt
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 20:59
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Killed my 1st buck with a bow over a mock scrape scented with Dr. O's.  Anyone remember it?

OMG, that was one crazy dude. I used to stop by his booth at the Harrisburg show just to phuck with him. I honestly can't remember ever seeing that dude sober. The only thing that stuff ever attracted were flies. He did have a good scent dispenser (kinda looked like a cigar tube container with a "wick") that I used with Tink's 69. Dr. "O"................that gave me a chuckle.

Here's an oldie but a goodie.........

Edited by Roy Finn - January/21/2011 at 21:31
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 21:03
Can't believe no one's mentioned the " Butt-Out" tool yet..
robbie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 21:03
Thanks Bitter, I'll try one....
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 21:46
I have never had any luck using any kind of scent or grunt tubes.. I'm with LT on the targets too, I do like those shoot-n-see's! I also like those little hand warmer packs, and reflective thumb tacks. I also did not have any luck with the butt out tool... pulled out about 3 miles of intestine and something that I'm guessing was at one time a nut.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2011 at 06:07
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Killed my 1st buck with a bow over a mock scrape scented with Dr. O's.  Anyone remember it?

OMG, that was one crazy dude. I used to stop by his booth at the Harrisburg show just to phuck with him. I honestly can't remember ever seeing that dude sober. The only thing that stuff ever attracted were flies. He did have a good scent dispenser (kinda looked like a cigar tube container with a "wick") that I used with Tink's 69. Dr. "O"................that gave me a chuckle.

Here's an oldie but a goodie.........

ExcellentExcellentExcellent!!!   Yep,that's the guy.  He was a TRIP.  I met him twice in Harrisburg.  I only used two bottles of his stuff before it and him disappeared.  It seemed to work well enough. It pulled the first deer I took with a bow (BIG spike) right off his trail to my mock scrap.  Darn deer was licking it off the ground.  In those early yrs I was still in the habit of setting up too close to trails and such.  That mock scrap was 6ft from the base of the tree I was in.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2011 at 08:31
These binocular eyecups work like a charm.  I can't believe the difference they make..

http://www.fieldopticsresearch.com/

Another "trick" I've been using for years is, after field dressing your game, use diet coke to wash your hands.....you'll be amazed how clean they get.  Much better than water.  

I'm with you guys on camo, butt-out tool, scentlok suits, and scents.......a marketing ploy at best.  A big thumbs up to the piranta knife too.    
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2011 at 14:17
I've talked to the "Doctor" a couple of times and he was actually slurring his words he was so baked. That can't be good for business.

Regarding scents, I probably can't say I've had a buck chasing any scent I've laid down but I can say it gets their attention and at the very least, it stops em for an easy shot. I've tried quite a few and the best stuff so far has been Tinks 69.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 08:37
Good discussion, gents! 

On the estrous scents:  it seems most have had the same lack of luck with it I have.  At best, I can concede with Roy that maybe it makes a deer stop and investigate, giving you time to take a shot.  I still remain a scent skeptic, though.Smile

On camo:  I agree totally -- I don't think it makes any difference whatsoever which camo you use or even if you aren't using camo at all.  We have some pretty high tech, photo-realistic camo these days that look cool and blend in with surroundings nicely.  I've used most of the most common patterns at one time or another.  As long as the wind is to my face, I'm still and quiet, and reasonably well hidden, I've never had a deer notice me visually regardless of what I was wearing.  All these new-fangled camo patterns are designed for one thing -- to attract the hunter and generate gear sales.  Obviously it works in that regard.  I do think it looks cool on certain gear, whether or not it actually works to fool the eyes of critters.  I believe short of wearing a suit of sequins or flashing LED lights, you can get away wearing almost anything while hunting.  I do think you blend into the background better and your movements are less noticeable if you wear some kind of pattern and duller colors, but I don't think you need some high tech camo to accomplish this. 

As was mentioned earlier, camo clothing does have one huge advantage for the hunter, however.  Some of the best clothing and materials for keeping you warm, dry, and quiet happen to be made available in the latest camo patterns.  So, even if the camo itself doesn't provide any real advantage, the clothing it's applied to certainly does. 

I do believe there is one area where camo is important, and that is turkey hunting.  I haven't done any tests to confirm anything, but I do know that turkeys have very good eyesight and you have to be very well hidden to remain undetected.  Much more so than when big game hunting.  I don't know that any particular camo pattern is better than another for turkey hunting, though.

On the scent masking stuff:  I've never seen any concrete proof that the scent blocking clothes or scent eliminating sprays actually work.  I've tried it all -- charcoal lined suits, anti-bacterial soaps, shampoos, and sprays, and silver sprays and wipes -- and have had deer wind me whether I was using that stuff or not.  I've tried being hyper careful of my hunting clothes and storing them in scent proof bags with pine needles, leaves, etc.  The only thing I've found that positively works in preventing animals from smelling human scent is being aware of wind direction and hunting with the wind to my face.

On UV blocking clothes and detergents:  I have no idea, but it sounds like utter b.s. to me, so I don't worry about whether or not my hunting clothes are reflecting UV light. 

On calls:  I have had the doe bleat "cans" work a couple times.  I actually had a couple bucks run toward my stand position while using the bleat can.  Most of the time, it hasn't done anything other than make deer stop and look in my direction out of curiosity, but that's o.k., as it's never spooked deer.  I'll keep using them. 

The grunt calls have worked well for me to simply get a deer to stop walking or trotting long enough to give me a shot.  Other than that, I can't say I've ever actually called a deer in with one.

I've had rattling antlers work to bring in a buck on one or two occasions, but most of the time, I can't say I've ever had luck with it. 

I don't believe that deer are as drawn to calls as elk, turkey, waterfowl, and predators are, as they aren't as vocal as those animals.  Overall, I believe various deer calls work in one way or another, but the conditions have to be right (such as use during the rut) for them to work.

Elk, turkey, waterfowl, and predators are a different story.  Calls of all sorts have unquestionably proven time and again to be effective on these critters, as long as the person using the calls is skilled in their use and uses them at the right time and the right way without over-calling.  A lot depends on the area being hunted, though.  I believe animals in public hunting areas that get lots of pressure become call shy.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 08:42
What do you guys think of the various blood tracking lights and other tracking aids?  I've tried different color lights, and I can't say they make blood stand out better for me.  I'm somewhat color blind in certain spectrums, so unless there's lots of blood, it doesn't stand out that well for me against brown fall leaves on the ground.  For me, the best aid in picking up blood at night is a pure white, latest generation super bright LED light -- the brighter the better.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 08:45
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

One of my favorite gadgets is the shoot and see targets, even though they're alittle pricey, they sure make detecting bullet holes much easier.

I like them too; they work well.
Ted

tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 12:00
As far as lights go I like the streamlight stinger and scorpion, and the coast lenser.
for making blood a bit easier to track I use peroxide in a spray bottle... It will make blood foam up. makes it much easier to tell if that little speck is blood or just a dark spot on a leaf.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 12:26
I use an old scorpion as well and really like it a lot. While hunting I carry that and a headlamp in my pack.

I've tried using a Surefire blue filter attachment (advertised to track wounded game) to my scorpion while we were tracking a guest's gut shot buck at night and it worked just OK. If memory servers me the blood trail appeared black on the leaves, etc. but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 19:43
Ted, on calls and horns (rattling), I have good results using them in Canada during the rut (as you indicated) but you also have to have a good buck to doe ratio. On on first trip to Sask, and on the first day, I was in a ground blind and rattled in a nice sized 8 pt. He literally came in running looking for the fuss. On the other hand, I've rattled till my hands bled in NYS and haven't had anything I could honestly say respond to my efforts.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 19:53
As for the camo observations, I agree completely. Seems every year the greatest camo pattern is discovered and hunters respond in kind. I also feel the same basically as you do regarding scent eliminator clothing and sprays. The biggest deer I've shot in NYS was probably no further than 25-30 yrds away from me and the wind was blowing almost directly at my back and towards him as well. He showed no sign of being alarmed and on that hunt, it fell right centered during the peak of the rut.
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2011 at 22:53
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Can't believe no one's mentioned the " Butt-Out" tool yet..
butt out is a big joke in my book, right a long with cough slicer tube, camo its a plus to have but do I need it NO, tho a ghillie is really great to use. sent lure.. best I've used more a sent mask is buck bomb. knife's man i have more them than i really need does one more better than the other nahhh not really but I do have one like better. My Dad for years & years nothing other than a old timer pocket knife for skinning & gutting.
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
scooter65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2011 at 06:41
This is a great thread!!

I would have to agree with the general concensus on the scentcover, scent pad, camo, rattling products and techniques.  Occasional success.  Never tried a buttout and don't plan on it.  There is one thing that I have found useful, gut hook.  Is it a big deal, NO.  Maybe if I was cleaning several animals in a row. 

Keep the experiences coming lads, it's all good stuff.

Edited by scooter65 - January/24/2011 at 09:20
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic