OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold VX-R and Vortex Viper Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 19:37
I'll go $10 more than Earl's top offer!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 19:46
 HEY!!!!  How many you got already?
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 19:55
none. But thought it would be good for the rifle I am going to get for my kids.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 19:57

Then go for it!!  What you getting them?
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
1911man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2011 at 20:16
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

I had the ED 1.5-6x40 #4 electro dot
fairly good scope optically, but the illuminated reticle failed on me twice
(newer style)
after MUCH pleading I got them to send me another scope model, sans illumination
Both of my LRS burris scopes crapped out

Done

Me too, Burris is crap in the reliability dept !!!!! Last one I sent back 3-4 months ago has not been returned either ...........................
Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2011 at 08:05
Yep, and the 3-9 LRS I got for Sean crapped out the first hunt..
a night time hog hunt..
arg

so, that's 2 different scopes, and mine failed twice

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2011 at 09:34

Shocked

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
1911man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2011 at 09:10
After a few weeks of being bounced around in a Kawasaki Mule, quite a bit of shooting doing some load development and 20 some odd dead hogs I have to report that I really like this new scope for low light hog hunting. Seems to gather light well in low light and I really like the thickness of the crosshairs in the daytime, they seem to cover up about 1/2" at 100yds, kinda between reg and heavy Duplex.

I still don't think they will replace my Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40s though as my go-to scope!!!!
Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2011 at 09:21
Originally posted by 1911man 1911man wrote:

After a few weeks of being bounced around in a Kawasaki Mule, quite a bit of shooting doing some load development and 20 some odd dead hogs I have to report that I really like this new scope for low light hog hunting. Seems to gather light well in low light and I really like the thickness of the crosshairs in the daytime, they seem to cover up about 1/2" at 100yds, kinda between reg and heavy Duplex.

I still don't think they will replace my Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40s though as my go-to scope!!!!

Just to be prefectly clear you are liking the Vortex???  I do to BTW! Cool
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2011 at 13:24
Bill is referring to the Firedot 3-9x50

BigGameBalls View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2011 at 13:41
Originally posted by cruft cruft wrote:

OK 300 you caused me to own up so here is the comparison.  Any benchrest guys back off, hunters only.  The 3 scopes tested were; 1) the Vortex Viper 2-7x32 BDC,  2) the Bushnell 4200 elite 1.5-6x36 with rain guard and german #4 (my favorite reticle in the whole universe) and the 3) Burris eurodiamond German#4 illuminated (which makes it the best reticle in all 21 dimensions).  It is a beautiful crystal clear day here in central Virginia but my sighting distances are not the usual suspects but will start in that which should interest hunters.  The first distance is 135 yards as it was a junction box with writing.  Now this is important as it's a measure of resolution and contrast sensitivity test is beyond me.  The next distance was a 400 yard clearing with waving grass of some sort.  So here's the findings; can't tell the difference between the viper and the bushnell at 135 yards.  That was a suprise.  Excellent resolution from both.  At 400 yards Same results the two tied.  But there is a really BIG difference,  the easy and comfort I got behind the scopes.  The viper is pure misery.  Must fiddle and adjust head position no end.  The bushnel easy peasy.  Boy was that a telling side by side test and no way to find out other than doing it this way.  Now comes the Burris eurodiamond.  Sidebar; my experience with Mike at Burris customer service left me with a concrete promise to never by another product from this company so I'm no shill.    And I won't sell a POS scope to another brother.  But this scope utterly blows the first two away.  When I got behind it, the instant comfort, field of view, edge clarity was beyond belief.  So I compared the three to transmission lines at 500,  600 &  8oo yards.  Results;  the first 2 were good enough to kill anything deer size all the way out but the resolution not so good.  The Eurodiamond not only could I see the ceramic separators but I could see the wires clearly!  And this at 6X.  Anyone wanting a tweener and have gotten this far shouldn't pass up the closeout a SWFA.  I hope Ilya can explaing why the ED is so poorly rated by him.  Get Your Popcorn Ready 

This makes me VERY happy since I have a Euro Diamond on the way soon and Was a little skeptical becasue I have no experience with Burris!!!! Thank you very much sir!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2011 at 14:11
A few comments:

1) Fogging issue.  If you take two scopes from a cold place into a warm place, the external lens surfaces of BOTH scopes should fog up the same way, regardless of coatings and other crap that might be on them.  If only on of the scopes looks to be fogged up, it is likely that there is moisture on the inside and you should return it to the manufacturer for purging and sealing.

2) When comparing 2-7x32, 1.5-6x36 and 1.5-6x40 scopes, you have to be very cognizant of the differences in exit pupil.  They will make a dramatic difference in eye relief flexibility at high magnification.  A lot of the comments regarding the comfort of the sight picture are likely driven by that.  Also, keep in mind, that Viper has the slimmest eyepiece of the group along with the longest eyerelief.  That will make perceived image quality and FOV different.

ILya
1911man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2011 at 19:00
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Originally posted by 1911man 1911man wrote:

Just to be prefectly clear you are liking the Vortex???  I do to BTW! Cool

Sorry, Leupold VX-R
Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
cruft View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2011 at 20:04
as Ilya pointed out exit pupil MATTERS but this was not addressed other than stating I personally found the viper exhausting.  Not so the elite which duplicated magnifications of the viper.  The Eourodiamond was slightly different but the post happened to coincide with the 3 scopes in my possession.  There have been many requests for 1-6 or 2-7 scope reviews as this is by FAR the most useful range covering from 25-800 yards.  800 yards is truly possible with the Burris, not so much the other two.  Now I have never looked thru S&B or Heinstoldt glass as I have not slept with Scarlett Johansen, but did once have a Steak at Morten's and the lesson learned; "if no future possiblity, don't sample".  So my post was for guys who might go to Vegas and order a burger,  sigh!  BTW;  saw that Vortex has recalled the Razor scope to replace the eye box so my experience was not due to the lunar cycle.    The problem I see with Vortex is that for such a young company they are trying to fill EVERY niche at the same time.  Seen this before in different industries and  design ALWAYS suffers  as does product quality and customer service.  CS needs trained techs who take time to reach fast smooth operational ABILITY and these people COST ALOT OF MONEY.  Vortex CS is yet to proven and this  and time will tell.   Obviously looking forward to Ilya's reviews on the new 1-8/10X scopes.Get Your Popcorn Ready
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2011 at 20:40
I am very anxious to see the Leupold Firedot 2-7
Hopefully arrives tomorrow and will compare against a Viper 2-7 we have as well

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2011 at 21:42

as Ilya pointed out exit pupil MATTERS but this was not addressed other than stating I personally found the viper exhausting.  Not so the elite which duplicated magnifications of the viper.  The Eourodiamond was slightly different but the post happened to coincide with the 3 scopes in my possession.  There have been many requests for 1-6 or 2-7 scope reviews as this is by FAR the most useful range covering from 25-800 yards.  800 yards is truly possible with the Burris, not so much the other two.  Now I have never looked thru S&B or Heinstoldt glass as I have not slept with Scarlett Johansen, but did once have a Steak at Morten's and the lesson learned; "if no future possiblity, don't sample".  So my post was for guys who might go to Vegas and order a burger,  sigh!  BTW;  saw that Vortex has recalled the Razor scope to replace the eye box so my experience was not due to the lunar cycle.    The problem I see with Vortex is that for such a young company they are trying to fill EVERY niche at the same time.  Seen this before in different industries and  design ALWAYS suffers  as does product quality and customer service.  CS needs trained techs who take time to reach fast smooth operational ABILITY and these people COST ALOT OF MONEY.  Vortex CS is yet to proven and this  and time will tell.   Obviously looking forward to Ilya's reviews on the new 1-8/10X scopes.Get Your Popcorn Ready

i cant find anything when i type recall or re-call on the vortex sight, where did you see that?
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2011 at 00:53
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i cant find anything when i type recall or re-call on the vortex sight, where did you see that?

There is no recall on Razor eyepiece.  I have seen someone else saying it, and it is pure fiction.  New Razor scopes have a re-designed eyepiece, and Vortex offered a retrofit for existing users if they are so inclined.  I am not sure if it is the right thing to do from a business standpoint, since there is nothing wrong with the older style eyepiece.  However, the new one is better, and it does speak volumes about Vortex' commitment to their customers.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic