OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Illuminated dot, under $1000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Illuminated dot, under $1000
    Posted: January/18/2011 at 23:51
First post so "Hey!" everyone.

I'm looking for a scope for a Ruger #1 in 7mm Rem Mag. I'm pretty new to rifle shooting but would like something with enough magnification to take advantage of the cartridge reach (assuming I practice enough).

Aging eyes make me want an illuminated recticle. I'm open to red, yellow or green -- any suggested preferences? Any suggested recticle types? Will mostly be hunting wild boar and someday elk and moose.

Is battery operated dot clearer than the Trijicon system?

Suggestions and any helpful information appreciated!
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2011 at 05:53
It has been my experience than that wild boar hunting is fairly close range, which calls for low power. The range of the rifle is "way out there" which calls for high power. All things considered I would jump on the Trijicon 2.5-10x56. The Trijicon reticle is great. Batteries die. Another option is the Elite 4200 3-12x50 illuminated reticle.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2011 at 06:59
Trijicon is the way to go if you want illumination and hassle free no battery operation.  A 3-9 is a good all around scope. 
BTW, welcome to the OT
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2011 at 08:58
agreed 1000% on the Accupoints

between the 2.5-10 and 3-9, the 3-9 is SO close to the 2.5-10 in low light and is a LOT lighter and more compact, not to mention cheaper

If you would be hunting boars at night under moonlight at 200 yards a lot,  I would go with the bigger Accupoint, if not, the 3-9...

Edited by ccoker - January/19/2011 at 08:59
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2011 at 09:16
No question in my mind... you'd have to go WAY over $1K to get better low light performance in an illuminated reticle scope than what the Accupoint 3-9 and 2.5-10 scopes offer. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
hoser View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2011 at 09:24
Thanks everyone. If I go with the Trijicon AccuPoint, which reticle do you prefer and why -- Triangle Reticle, Mil-Dot Crosshair with Dot, or Standard Crosshair with Dot?

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product2.php?id=AccuPoint&mid=3-9x40
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2011 at 09:25
I like the mil dot because you can use the dots as holdovers if needed.  as far as color thats all a personal preference.
hoser View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2011 at 09:33
Looks like mildot only comes in yellow or green. Anyone ever use both and have a preference as to which shows up best? Seems like yellow may wash out in the sun and green would disappear in vegetation. I guess either would show up fine though once on target. I'm I being paranoid? Whacko
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2011 at 09:34
having used both styles or reticles and all 3 colors:

my personal preference is mildot / green dot and running a 200 yard zero
so, out to about 250 or so I can just hold dead on with the dot

past that I could hold a tad high out to 300
past that, I wouldn't be needing the ill dot as I wouldn't be shooting in that low of light to need the ill dot and use the mildots to figure hold over points

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2011 at 09:43
For the relatively close range (300 yds and under) conditions I hunt in, I just use the BAC triangle post reticle.  It's very fast, provides a very uncluttered sight picture, and allows good precision when aiming with the very tip of the triangle.

Illumination color is a personal choice.  It may seem like amber or green wouldn't contrast well against natural backgrounds, but I haven't found that to be the case at all.  I bought my amber versions before green was available; otherwise, I'd probably favor green.  I haven't seen any conditions at any time of day where the amber reticle didn't contrast very well against all backgrounds, provided the fiber optic shroud was adjusted to provide an appropriate amount of intensity to the reticle for the lighting conditions.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2011 at 09:44
The mil dot illumination is far less bright than the triangle post reticle. With the mil dot, only the cross hair intersection illuminates, and it isn't overly bright.

On my Trijicon mil dot, I closed the window completely (the fiber optic is used to bring in more light to the reticle in well lit environments) so that my cross hairs had no illumination in full light, and the illuminated dot was clear in low light but not overwhelming.

As said above, you need to exceed the $1k point by a considerable margin to get better glass and illumination than the Accupoint offers.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
hoser View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2011 at 09:47
I don't think it's illuminated, BUT, what are you thoughts on the with Leupold VX-3 CDS system?
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2011 at 10:08
Trijicon has better glass

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2011 at 10:55
The Leupold CDS system is really the same thing as having target knobs to dial in correction so lots of scopes do that.  I recently bought a green mill dot 5-20x50 Trijicon Accupoint having had the same scope in a red post triangle previously.  also have had the 3-9 amber post triangle.   I also have a 1.5x compact ACOG amber triangle and a 3x compact ACOG red crosshair and a 4x ACOG TAO1B  so I'm pretty familiar with their scopes. For general hunting the 2.5-10x56 is an awesome choice if you can get used to having a 56 mm objective which a lot of guys dont like.  I particularly do like the the 2.5 much better than the 3x on the low end and would prefer it.  I find that I can work with the 5-20x50 which has target knobs to dial in correction and I dont miss the lower powers a lot since I have spend a lot of time hunting a fixed 6x scope so 5x works just fine for me and 20x means I dont have to take a spotting scope along so it depends on how you hunt.  I like to dial in correction for trajectory compensation and I like to have the added magnification to look a little closer at the rack on a deer to know if I want to select that particular one.  In reality I can take the 1.5x fixe power and be sub minute of angle with its amber triangle at 300 yds so to hit something at several hundred yards you dont really need lots of magnification what you need is an aiming point you can see and enought time on the range to know where your bullet will be at what distance.  If I was hunting brush country mostly and hunted hogs at night I would definately buy the 2.5-10x56 probably with the post triangle and either red or amber would work fine. The only place amber washes out is looking toward streetlights at night so in the woods its awesome. The green is such a brilliant color that it shows up well against green folage.  To get an idea look at a streetlight at night or look at bow sights with fiber optic which come red green and amber also.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2011 at 10:58
http://www.kentonindustries.com/pics/ttctypes/   just like CDS system scope knobs from many manufacturers can be engraved to match yards.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
hoser View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2011 at 19:19
So how many of you also feel the mildots are not necessary for accuracy? I'm ignorant on that simple triangle post because it's something I've just never used. Anyone feel this is just as effective as crosshairs or mildots?
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2011 at 21:27
I feel that mil dots are only truly useful for hunting in the first focal plane. Too much to keep track of in the SFP. The amber triangle is easier on the eyes in low light. The red is better in extreme bright light. I have both and prefer the amber. In my opinion the triangle is faster, easier and surprisingly accurate at longer ranges. I've never tried the other reticles.
hoser View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2011 at 23:10
Maybe I'll just stick with standard crosshairs!  Smile
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2011 at 08:23
The problem with standard crosshairs is seeing them in low light against a dark background. The brightest scope in the world is useless if you can't see the reticle. 
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2011 at 09:51
 With the Trijicon mildot scope, only the center dot is illuminated

If you run a 200 yard zero, with most cartridges you can simply put the dot in the vitals from 0-250 yards and have a clean kill

The mildots can be used for range estimation (though a range finder is what most hunters prefer) and for hold over points out past say 250

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic