OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

FFP vs SFP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fairchase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 11:18
 Does someone know which one is more expensive to produce ?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 11:31
Given the prices of them I'd place a fair bit of assumption on FFP
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 11:47
Originally posted by fairchase fairchase wrote:

Does someone know which one is more expensive to produce ?

FFP
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 12:04
I don't know that either is more expensive to produce than the other, as each have their own issues. 

A FFP reticle needs to be smaller due to its location in the optic, theoretically making the reticle itself more difficult to produce.
According to S&B, it's more difficult to make a SFP scope not shift POI during power change.  In a FFP scope, the target image and the reticle are on the same focal plane and are magnified simultaneously.  So, even if the center of the reticle isn't exactly on the centerline of the image, it doesn't really matter as long as it doesn't move.  In a SFP reticle, it does matter if it's not perfectly centered in the target image because as you increase magnification, the amount of deviation error increases proportionally, causing a POI shift.  Also, a SFP reticle element is located inside the zoom tube and can therefore move slightly when the power ring is rotated if the design isn't sound and mating parts are not held to very tight tolerances.

I don't know how much or even if those considerations have an influence on manufacturing costs, though. 

Edited by RifleDude - January/26/2011 at 12:08
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 14:37
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

On a SFP I can use a "reverse thinking cheat sheet", crank the power up or down untill it fits into a specific graduation and then read the power setting against a cheat sheet.

I see.  That can be a very fast and handy way to range things.  Much like the Leupold 16" duplex numbers they'd put on the power dial on Vari-X III's for quickly ranging deer.  That can work very well and I can see how you'd like to stick to that method when you know the size of the targets beforehand and especially if they're all the same size.

If they didn't tell you how big the targets were until it was time to shoot, and/or the targets were different sizes, I think you'd find ranging the conventional way your best option.

Edited by Jon A - January/26/2011 at 14:38
fairchase View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fairchase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2011 at 16:03
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I don't know that either is more expensive to produce than the other, as each have their own issues. 

A FFP reticle needs to be smaller due to its location in the optic, theoretically making the reticle itself more difficult to produce.
According to S&B, it's more difficult to make a SFP scope not shift POI during power change.  In a FFP scope, the target image and the reticle are on the same focal plane and are magnified simultaneously.  So, even if the center of the reticle isn't exactly on the centerline of the image, it doesn't really matter as long as it doesn't move.  In a SFP reticle, it does matter if it's not perfectly centered in the target image because as you increase magnification, the amount of deviation error increases proportionally, causing a POI shift.  Also, a SFP reticle element is located inside the zoom tube and can therefore move slightly when the power ring is rotated if the design isn't sound and mating parts are not held to very tight tolerances.

I don't know how much or even if those considerations have an influence on manufacturing costs, though. 

I thought a good sfp scope would cost more to produce because of the change of impact due to magnification change.

Also I wouldn't doubt for a second that a company would jump at the opportunity to increase profit margins based on customer desire. Just because something cost less to produce doesn't mean it's going to cost the consumer less.
gamehawker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gamehawker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2011 at 14:08
I am in the market for a new scope for my new Remington 700 LSS .257 weatherby magnum for 80% hunting and 20% target shooting.

I grew up with and always used scopes with SFP.  With all of the talk about FFP reticles I ordered and just got a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP.  I also got it for really good price (only $50 more than the SFP).

As I have said, I have always had SFP and this FFP is quite different with the reticle changing in size with the magnification. 

Before I put this on my rifle should I send it back and get the SFP (which I am familiar with) or give the FFP a chance because it would be better for my set-up and use i the long run?

TIA
gamehawker
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2011 at 20:35
You have to remember, the reticle isn't really changing size. It will always be correct, no matter what the zoom setting. If you don't like it or can't get used to it, send it back... But that is all on you, it's your dime!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic