OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Eotech & digital NV in tandem modus ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asgard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eotech & digital NV in tandem modus ?
    Posted: January/22/2011 at 18:14
I'm just wondering if anybody could tell, if let's say an Eotech XPS3 would work in NV tandem-modus when using a digital night vision like Yukon Phantom Digital or Ranger Pro instead of a Gen2 or a  PVS14 or the like? - Regards
Griffin99 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffin99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2011 at 18:25
I have never done that with a digital NV scope, but have done it with traditional NV equipment.  In theory, both methods are intensify various levels of ambient light, just with two different methods.

I did a bit of poking around and it seems that the Brits are having success with digital NV monoculars and both fixed and variable power scopes.  The first link is an example from Youtube that I think will give you a better idea of what to expect with the XPS3.  The other is a British hunting forum that discusses this topic.  My advice with NV, based on my limited experience with a few GEN 1 scopes that I have, is that you get what you pay for with NV.  Recognize that GEN 1 has inherent limitations based on the technology of the tubes that it uses.  If you can take your time, save up/trade up etc., for a quality GEN 3 PVS-14 or similar, I think that you will find that it is worth the wait.  I say that because in my day job, I have access to the GEN 3 stuff all the time.  I personally own GEN 1 stuff because it fit the specific range that I needed out to only 50 yds for pigs.  I would love to be able to own my work toys, but that is not the reality of my situation at this time,  Such is life.  It sounds like you have some experience with NV, so I apologize if it sounds like I am talking down to you.  Not my intent at all.  I hope this has been of use.  FWIW, based on the little bit I uncovered in the links, it sounds like digital NV will do it, but it may be manufacturer specific (quality), and additional IR ( I am assuming this is a short range application) will go along way toward maximizing your set-ups capabilities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdIjd8jHzjU&feature=related

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/56839-gb-sights/
Far Beyond Driven
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic