OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

swarovski Z3 vs zeiss conquest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2011 at 20:07
I posted an "Initial impressions" review in the Member's Test and Review section.

http://www.opticstalk.com/swarovski-z3-412x50-brh-reticle_topic27412.html
-Matt
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 07:06
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

I posted an "Initial impressions" review in the Member's Test and Review section.

When you say "CA", I assume you mean color abberation, am I correct?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 07:17
Technically, it means "chromatic aberration," but it's the same thing.  CA is the color fringing you sometimes see along the edge of high contrast surfaces such as dark objects silhouetted against a light or bright background.  
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 07:21
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Technically, it means "chromatic aberration," but it's the same thing.  CA is the color fringing you sometimes see along the edge of high contrast surfaces such as dark objects silhouetted against a light or bright background.  
Thanks for the clarification, it's been awhile for me....that and the pic of that UPS driver still has me rattled.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 09:41
Originally posted by Stud Duck Stud Duck wrote:

Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

When you say "CA", I assume you mean color abberation, am I correct?

Ted is correct.  I was referring to Chromatic Aberration.  I was resigned to just believing that CA was something I would have to live with given the restrictions of rifle scope design, but this scope proves me wrong. 

-Matt
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 09:58
Even though I own some Conquests, for me, the view through Swarovski scopes is noticeably better.

Is it worth the price difference? That question applies to any scope you purchase. There does seem to be a big price jump to get anything better than a Conquest.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 10:01
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

Even though I own some Conquests, for me, the view through Swarovski scopes is noticeably better.

Is it worth the price difference? That question applies to any scope you purchase. There does seem to be a big price jump to get anything better than a Conquest.

Alan, the prices on Swarovski Z3 scopes are currently discounted for a Swarovski promotion.  It brings their prices quite near their Conquest counterparts.

http://swfa.com/Swarovski-Z3-Riflescopes-C1808.aspx
-Matt
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 10:16
Many thanks, Matt !!!

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 17:57
I own both but mine is the Z5 not the Z3 but the same glass I'm told.....+++++Swaro
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
handwerk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handwerk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2011 at 06:11
Do you folks know with the Z3 what changes they made from the old AV line other than asthetics? I have both a AV and a new Z3 in 3-10x42 and can't say I see a difference optically. Great scopes.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2011 at 06:27
I don't think they changed anything mechanically, just aesthetics and the series designation.

Also, at least some, if not all of the AV's were made entirely in Austria, and the Z3 is evidently now assembled in the US.  Don't know when that change went into affect.  My 2 AV's say "made in Austria" on them.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic