OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell 4200 3-9x40mm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell 4200 3-9x40mm
    Posted: January/29/2011 at 20:15

What are your thoughts on mounting the above scope on a 300 Win Mag? I'm a stock-crawler and was wondering if this scope would provide ample eye relief on a magnum rifle.

They seem like great scopes, I even have one enroute as I type, but I'm a bit concerned about the short eye relief.
shockey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2011 at 20:34
You should be good to go.  I have a few bushnell elite scopes and I really like them.  I have a 3-9X40 elite 3200 on my 30-06 and I have never had an issue with eye relief.  I'm currently waiting on a 5-15 elite from swfa to mount on my .221 fireball.  But not to get off detail the 30-06 kick is similar to that of a 300win mag, and as I stated I have never had an issue with scope relief.  If you decide you dont like it, pm me I might need to buy another. take care.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2011 at 20:47
I too have several of the elite scopes, and have had them on rifle's like a 45-70 and a 300wsm, with no eye relief problems at all.
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2011 at 21:23
A lot depends on the weight of the rifle, stock shape, and how good your form is. Stock crawling on a lightweight rifle in 300wm will eventually get you smacked. For that application I would prefer a 4" eye relief. For a standard weight rifle shouldered well the 4200 should be fine.
http://windrockphotography.com
"Do you really think the deer cares what kinda pants you was wearin'?" Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinni
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2011 at 22:39
ive got that exact scope on my .300wby right now, no problem, it can be on the bench when you use a lead sled though. i also had that scope on my .375H&H, then i got a 2x7 viper. that 4200 is tough as nails.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2011 at 22:57
I'm running a 4200 on my 300 WM and ER is not a problem.

Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2011 at 07:11
Thanks all, good to know.

Roy, that's a beautiful rifle. My 700 has a gray/black laminate wood w/stainless receiver and bbl.
Folically Challenged View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Folically Challenged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2011 at 09:12
Originally posted by Stud Duck Stud Duck wrote:

What are your thoughts on mounting the above scope on a 300 Win Mag? I'm a stock-crawler and was wondering if this scope would provide ample eye relief on a magnum rifle.

They seem like great scopes, I even have one enroute as I type, but I'm a bit concerned about the short eye relief.

I owned one, on a lightweight mountain rifle in .35 Whelen.

I got "kissed" on 2 shots, & cut on the third.  Both rifle & scope went down the road, separately.

Excellent glass for the money, but I prefer Conquests.

Just my $.02, and sample size of 1.

FC
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2011 at 09:16

You'll be fine ..I have a 4200 3x9 on a 338 Win Mag Vanguard and no worries ,,, I also have 4200's mounted on a 300 Browning Ultramag and two 300 Wby's ... never a problem

EchoWhiskeyOne View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EchoWhiskeyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2011 at 14:27
Originally posted by shockey shockey wrote:

But not to get off detail the 30-06 kick is similar to that of a 300win mag

Is the 300 Win Mag REALLY that drastically less recoiling than a 300WSM?!

I've never personally shot a Win Mag, but I can say that shooting the same brand ammo, same grain (150 Remington PSP Core Lokt) recoil difference in my 30-06 and my 300WSM is HUGE!

If that X-Bolt didn't have that nice, soft recoil pad on it straight from the factory, that 300WSM would be pretty unpleasant to sight in at the range.  The 30-06, not so much.  Heck, it even kicks less than my Stevens 200 270 Win with Remington PSP Core Lokt 130gr ammo.  Course that rifle only weighs a couple pounds.

With that being said, if you keep a good hold on your rifle when you shoot, you should be fine with a 4200 on a 300 Win Mag.

shockey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2011 at 18:29
Originally posted by EchoWhiskeyOne EchoWhiskeyOne wrote:

I've never personally shot a Win Mag, but I can say that shooting the same brand ammo, same grain (150 Remington PSP Core Lokt) recoil difference in my 30-06 and my 300WSM is HUGE!

If that X-Bolt didn't have that nice, soft recoil pad on it straight from the factory, that 300WSM would be pretty unpleasant to sight in at the range.  The 30-06, not so much.  Heck, it even kicks less than my Stevens 200 270 Win with Remington PSP Core Lokt 130gr ammo.  Course that rifle only weighs a couple pounds.

With that being said, if you keep a good hold on your rifle when you shoot, you should be fine with a 4200 on a 300 Win Mag.

I have owned various 30-06, 300 win mag, and owned one 300wsm.  And honestly I didn't think the recoil difference was tremendously different.  It could be due to the "rifle" and its respective weight, but I also shoot a .458 win and that I would say does have a noticeable difference in kick.  Maybe even more important to the recoil issue is bullet weight and load being used.  I almost always shoot either 165 gr BT or 180 SP between the different 30 cal rifles, recoil is similar with load and bullet type.  But as I said it could be the rifle etc, etc. 
Take care.
jason miller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2011 at 21:17
Two friends and I put at least a half dozen rounds each through my Savage .338 today with a 4200 3-9x40 on it, and none of us got hit.  I have it mounted about as far forward as you can and still get a full sight picture.  I did have it a little further back and it barely got me on the first shot.  After moving it forward just that little bit, I don't even have to think about it hitting me.  For the record, this is a 9.25 lb rifle with a Limbsaver pad on it.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2011 at 21:30
Originally posted by EchoWhiskeyOne EchoWhiskeyOne wrote:

i had a .300wsm in a browning aboltII, composite stock. the gun weighed next to nothing with the scope and 4 rounds of ammo. i can tell you with 100% certainty that the .300wsm i had beat the hell out of me. i put a limb saver on it and it helped a little, but not enough. without a doubt, that .300 was the worst of the three ive owned as far as recoil goes with 180gr ammo. my .300wby doesnt kick like that and my .300win mag in a browning abolt  doesnt kick any more than a 30-06 with 180gr ammo.  its not as bad as a .300rum, but with a light weight rifle, its hell to shoot off a bench. that being said i would want a scope that could handle a beating.Big Grin

Edited by pyro6999 - January/30/2011 at 21:31
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
gglass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2011 at 21:39
The Bushnell can certainly handle the recoil.
"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2011 at 21:43
no doubt in my mind, mine has so far
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2011 at 23:16
I have a savage weather warrior in 300 wsm, and like pyro, I can assure you it kicks like a mule.

Edited by tman1965 - January/30/2011 at 23:21
shockey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 03:18
Maybe I can just take a beating???  It wasn't uncommon to take the 300wsm to the range and run 40 rounds through it.  This is all off a bench, but I wasn't using a lead sled or anything. just sand bags under the forearm.  I also use to take the 7mm-08, 06, 300 win mag X 2 (a browning a bolt and a cz 550)This is all same day.  All in all, in the day I would run over a hundred rounds cumulative.  Some days i would take the fireball and or a shotty.
The only one I excluded on a regular basis was the .458

But now I'm a poor college student and have sold off most of the toys, and can't afford to spend $200 in ammo on any given weekend. Hell I can barely afford gas, lol.

The 300wsm I had was a Winchester model 70 coyote, stainless with laminate stock, Harris 9-13 bipod, and it had a leupold VX II 4-12 AO mounted in leupold rings.  It was a little on the heavy side but not so bad.

If photobucket would let me post some pics I would show it off with the 186 8 whitetail I took with it in montana.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 04:24
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=699899 .  I use it all the time when practicing.  There's nothing macho about developing a flinch.  In the field you won't feel the kick or think about it.  If you develop a flinch while load testing, etc, you're likely to flinch in the field.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 06:28

Maybe I can just take a beating???  It wasn't uncommon to take the 300wsm to the range and run 40 rounds through it.  This is all off a bench, but I wasn't using a lead sled or anything. just sand bags under the forearm.  I also use to take the 7mm-08, 06, 300 win mag X 2 (a browning a bolt and a cz 550)This is all same day.  All in all, in the day I would run over a hundred rounds cumulative.  Some days i would take the fireball and or a shotty.
The only one I excluded on a regular basis was the .458

But now I'm a poor college student and have sold off most of the toys, and can't afford to spend $200 in ammo on any given weekend. Hell I can barely afford gas, lol.

The 300wsm I had was a Winchester model 70 coyote, stainless with laminate stock, Harris 9-13 bipod, and it had a leupold VX II 4-12 AO mounted in leupold rings.  It was a little on the heavy side but not so bad.

If photobucket would let me post some pics I would show it off with the 186 8 whitetail I took with it in montana.

yeah my gun weighed in at just over 7lbs with the scope and ammo in it. your gun weighed over 7lbs alone.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2011 at 07:10

Never been hit with my Bushnell Elite 4200 scopes (2.5-10x40 replaced with a 4-16x40SF) on my Ruger M77 Hawkeye .308Win...

John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic