OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Recommend me a scope on a budget

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trjones87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommend me a scope on a budget
    Posted: February/07/2011 at 10:14
I had about a grand saved up and was ready to place an order when we got the hospital bill from my seizure in…..no bueno.

Anyways, my budget got cut down to around $500 and I have no clue where to start.  This will be going on my 308. Would prefer something with target knobs. Needs to be adjustable for hunting purposes. Would like a 4-14 or something like that. I was leaning towards one of the tactical Milletts but was steered away from them.

Any suggestions?

neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 10:34

Dunno if tactical knobs could be added/swapped out or not, but for the money this a SUPER deal.

http://swfa.com/Burris-45-14x42-Fullfield-II-Rifle-Scope-P48189.aspx

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 10:39
do you want actual target turrets or will capped turrets that you can finger turn work?
trjones87 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trjones87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 10:46
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

do you want actual target turrets or will capped turrets that you can finger turn work?

I think those would work, just want something adjustable. I'd really like something that would make my spec of 308 with 168 grain bullet
Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 10:48

This guy has scopes built to his specs. He's a small operation, but his scopes and his support have a pretty good reputation. His reticles are generally MOA with MOA turret adjustments, which I prefer to MIL/MIL personally. I believe this is also a first focal plane scope as well, so the subtensions stay constant throughout the magnification range. Other than the Falcon scopes and maybe the SWFA Super Snipers, this one of the few in this price range that does this.
http://swfa.com/Wonders-Optics-4-14x50-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P47355.aspx

For a more hunting relevant scope, lower powered Monarchs have decent glass and a great turret system. They have a variety of reticles available. They are mismatched for use with a mil dot though, as they are MOA adjustments with a MIL reticle. That's only important if you plan to use the mil system for ranging and shooting, rather than as holdoff points as most shooters do:
http://swfa.com/Nikon-4-16x42-Monarch-Riflescope-P42336.aspx

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-5-15x40-Elite-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-P48272.aspx
Bushnell is closing out a lot of scopes. This one has ok glass, but a great turret system. It's also a mismatched MOA adjustment/MIL reticle scope though.

Some more hunting relevant scopes. Vortex makes great repeatable turrets and has great glass. But they're second focal plane reticles, so not the best for ranging.
http://swfa.com/Vortex-4-12x40-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P11230.aspx
http://swfa.com/Vortex-65-20x44-Viper-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P11231.aspx

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 10:53
The above burris will have finger adjustable turrets just not target turrets.  Other decent scopes that will come in under your budget
Vortex 4-12x40 Viper Rifle Scope Dead-Hold BDC Vortex 4-12x40 Viper Rifle Scope
Stock # - VPRM04BDC
  • Matte
  • Dead-Hold BDC
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
$399.95 
Add Vortex 4-12x40 Viper Rifle Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:
I have this exact scope and love it

Redfield 4-12x40 Revolution Rifle Scope Redfield 4-12x40 Revolution Rifle Scope
Stock # - RED67115
  • Matte
  • Accu-Range
  • 1"
$219.95 
Had a 3-9 in the new redfields and like it very servicable and budget friendly The accu-range is great once you get it dialed in.
Take a look at this
trjones87 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trjones87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 11:01
Never looked falcon. They better than milletts?
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

The above burris will have finger adjustable turrets just not target turrets.  Other decent scopes that will come in under your budget

<TABLE width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD class=img>Vortex 4-12x40 Viper Rifle Scope</TD>
<TD =ret>Dead-Hold BDC</TD>
<TD =nfo>[COLOR=#0000ff size=3">Vortex 4-12x40 Viper Rifle Scope[/COLOR">
Stock # - VPRM04BDC

• Matte

• Dead-Hold BDC

• 1"

• Side Focus
</TD>
<TD =buy>
<DIV =price>$399.95 

<DIV =wishlist>Add to Wishlist
<DIV =addtocart>Add Vortex 4-12x40 Viper Rifle Scope to Cart [COLOR=#0000ff size=3">More Details »[/COLOR">
<DIV style="TEXT-ALIGN: left">Optional Accessories:<SPAN id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl05_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1225><LABEL for=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl05_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1225_0>Butler Creek Lens Caps Kit - ($15.95)</LABEL></SPAN></TD></TR></T></TABLE>I have this exact scope and love it

<TABLE width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD class=img>Redfield 4-12x40 Revolution Rifle Scope</TD>
<TD =ret></TD>
<TD =nfo>[COLOR=#800080 size=3">Redfield 4-12x40 Revolution Rifle Scope[/COLOR">
Stock # - RED67115

• Matte

• Accu-Range

• 1"
</TD>
<TD =buy>
<DIV =price>$219.95 

<DIV =wishlist>Add to Wishlist
<DIV =addtocart>Add Redfield 4-12x40 Revolution Rifle Scope to Cart [COLOR=#800080 size=3">More Details »[/COLOR"> </TD></TR></T></TABLE>Had a 3-9 in the new redfields and like it very servicable and budget friendly The accu-range is great once you get it dialed in.
Take a look at this

Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 11:12
Originally posted by trjones87 trjones87 wrote:

They're first focal plane. That's why the tactical crowd loves them.
They do however have a somewhat mixed reputation for quality (like Millett), and very little customer support in the US (Millet is supported by Bushnell,FWIW). Falcon is principally a UK company, but they're trying to get a foothold on the US market.

Personally, I'd go Wotac over Falcon or Millet if you want a really tactical type scope at that budget point.

trjones87 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trjones87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 11:15
Originally posted by Poodleshooter1 Poodleshooter1 wrote:

Originally posted by trjones87 trjones87 wrote:

They're first focal plane. That's why the tactical crowd loves them. They do however have a somewhat mixed reputation for quality (like Millett), and very little customer support in the US (Millet is supported by Bushnell,FWIW). Falcon is principally a UK company, but they're trying to get a foothold on the US market.Personally, I'd go Wotac over Falcon or Millet if you want a really tactical type scope at that budget point.

Those wonders have good reviews and are really cheap. What about hawke?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 11:20
does it have to be a 4x14 or something similar? are you planning on using this for 500yd shooting? i need more info pleaseBig Grin
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
trjones87 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trjones87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 11:23
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

does it have to be a 4x14 or something similar? are you planning on using this for 500yd shooting? i need more info pleaseBig Grin

Doesn't have to be. The gun is capable of 2" groups at 400 yards. I'd like to eventually been shooting that well but it'll take a while. I've been bowhunting since I was 13 and am new to the gun world. I'd like to be able to shoot paper eventually at that distance if not longer
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 11:34
do you have a real need to shoot animals further than 400yds??? for me personally, a 3x9 of good quality will serve you very well.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
trjones87 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trjones87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 12:26
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

do you have a real need to shoot animals further than 400yds??? for me personally, a 3x9 of good quality will serve you very well.

Won't shoot animals at that distance but would be shooting paper at that distance
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 12:34
just deer? or do you hunt elk and moose as well?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
trjones87 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trjones87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 12:40
For now just deer, whitetail and mulies
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 12:42
normally i would tell you to get a 3x9 conquest, but that 4x14 viper would work very well too.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 13:20
+1 Burris 4.5-14x42
jmg8550 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmg8550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 16:05
The Burris Fullfield II can be upgraded to target knobs. We do that modification all the time. It'll cost $80 for both turrets. You can also upgrade the reticle to a Ballistic Mil-Dot which works very well with the .308 caliber. That upgrade is $120.
trjones87 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trjones87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 16:14
Originally posted by jmg8550 jmg8550 wrote:

The Burris Fullfield II can be upgraded to target knobs. We do that modification all the time. It'll cost $80 for both turrets. You can also upgrade the reticle to a Ballistic Mil-Dot which works very well with the .308 caliber. That upgrade is $120.

So could I mail u my scope and 80 to put the turrets on there?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2011 at 16:17
The Viper listed on page one has target turrets on it already, FYI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic